Sox @SD game thread

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

According to everyone here, haven’t the Sox already “abused” Crochet this season? 142 innings pitched when his previous high was 54.1 innings. This was said to be impossible and that anything over 100 innings we’d see him get injured/become completely ineffective. Didn’t look like that last night.

I would have liked to see Crochet given more preemptive rest or extra days off early in the season, but especially the second half they’ve been quite responsible. Have him going every 6th day in April rather than rushing him back each turn would have been smart, you could have him a little fresher now.

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

No, it’s context.  You are acting like he is throwing full games here, he is on a low pitch count.   But you can try and gotcha the board, it’s fine

Garrett already gotcha the board. Nobody thought he could do what he’s done this season.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I would have liked to see Crochet given more preemptive rest or extra days off early in the season, but especially the second half they’ve been quite responsible. Have him going every 6th day in April rather than rushing him back each turn would have been smart, you could have him a little fresher now.

23:1 strikeout to walk ratio in September. Looks pretty fresh to me lol

29 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

you keep comparing them to the worst team in the league like it’s a huge burn.  They have spent like drunken sailors and have absolutely lost some top prospects.  Hell, just like a week ago you were musing that Preller would lose his job for trading Clase’, no?  

now if you would ask me if I would like the Sox to at least try, like San Diego does, I would absolutely want that.  But they have not spent well and they have not succeeded like their spend indicates they should.  

By that definition....the only teams worth discussing are Milwaukee, Orioles and the Cleveland Guardians, maybe the Royals this season to an extent. TB as well, obviously not in 2024.

Because there's no point in comparing anyone to LA, and the industry standard after all this time has to be the Houston Astros.

It's still pretty remarkable for a Bottom 3 market in all of baseball to be where they are at...and even KC is more or less just 2000+ fans per game higher than the Sox in attendance.  They just can't compare with the Chiefs dynasty in that city.

If you went back to the mid 2010's...only the three teams I have already mentioned and the Padres have moved from low mid tier to Top 8-12 in the majors.  Houston was already a major market.

And Preller would have been fired for missing the WC. They don't have a reliable closer at this point in the season, and that will come back to haunt them eventually.

Edited by caulfield12

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

By that definition....the only teams worth discussing are Milwaukee, Orioles and the Cleveland Guardians, maybe the Royals this season to an extent. TB as well, obviously not in 2024.

Because there's no point in comparing anyone to LA, and the industry standard after all this time has to be the Houston Astros.

It's still pretty remarkable for a Bottom 3 market in all of baseball to be where they are at...and even KC is more or less just 2000+ fans per game higher than the Sox in attendance.  They just can't compare with the Chiefs dynasty in that city.

If you went back to the mid 2010's...only the three teams I have already mentioned and the Padres have moved from low mid tier to Top 8-12 in the majors.  Houston was already a major market.

And Preller would have been fired for missing the WC. They don't have a reliable closer at this point in the season, and that will come back to haunt them eventually.

No, no definition.  You keep comparing them like haha they are so great look at Tatis we are so dumb.  I have no problem saying the Sox suck ass and the padres for all of their wild spending and machinations have really not accomplished that goal

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

23:1 strikeout to walk ratio in September. Looks pretty fresh to me lol

And when he gave up 5 home runs in 50 innings in August that was a symptom of them having overworked him in the first half. He’s fresher in September because they eased up on the accelerator.

4 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

According to everyone here, haven’t the Sox already “abused” Crochet this season? 142 innings pitched when his previous high was 54.1 innings. This was said to be impossible and that anything over 100 innings we’d see him get injured/become completely ineffective. Didn’t look like that last night.

I think you're confusing "impossible" with "irresponsible." What the Sox are doing with him is pretty uncharted territory.

He's proving us wrong in September. Maybe what the Sox are doing with him, in terms of easing off his workload (but keeping him on a routine) is working. Hopefully this means that Crochet doesn't flame out in 2025 like a lot of the Sox rotation seemed to in 2006.

9 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I think you're confusing "impossible" with "irresponsible." What the Sox are doing with him is pretty uncharted territory.

He's proving us wrong in September. Maybe what the Sox are doing with him, in terms of easing off his workload (but keeping him on a routine) is working. Hopefully this means that Crochet doesn't flame out in 2025 like a lot of the Sox rotation seemed to in 2006.

Except odds are he's not even on the team coming into ST.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Except odds are he's not even on the team coming into ST.

That too.

But even then, building some semblance of confidence in Crochet's ability to keep this up in 2025 is in our best interests.

23 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And when he gave up 5 home runs in 50 innings in August that was a symptom of them having overworked him in the first half. He’s fresher in September because they eased up on the accelerator.

They eased his workload after June. He pitched less in July than any other month. And he’s pitched worse once they cut his workload down so I don’t see the correlation.