Kuhl DFA, Soroka activated, Leasure to AAA

southsider2k5

I seem to recall some player the Sox DFA’d that is better than Chad cool. Which is a very cool name by the way. By the way, why is the name “Chad” considered to be so kuhl? Where’d that come from? I have a cousin Chad who I love dearly but I don’t think society would describe his as “a Chad”. 

i digress but I don’t really care. I still think soroka is kinda good. I hope we are able to retain him for nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, nrockway said:

I seem to recall some player the Sox DFA’d that is better than Chad cool. Which is a very cool name by the way. By the way, why is the name “Chad” considered to be so kuhl? Where’d that come from? I have a cousin Chad who I love dearly but I don’t think society would describe his as “a Chad”. 

i digress but I don’t really care. I still think soroka is kinda good. I hope we are able to retain him for nothing. 

Based on his 2024 contract, no way.

They will probably try to cut it down 20% but that's 50/50 at best.

Depends also on Thorpe's health.

52 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Based on his 2024 contract, no way.

They will probably try to cut it down 20% but that's 50/50 at best.

Depends also on Thorpe's health.

I don't think he's worth the $3million he earned this year. I think he's probably worth a minimum contract, but I would like to see him remain on the team. He's pretty good. Kind of like a better version of Jesse Scholtens, another player I like. I sort of think he could "break out" again, but if he doesn't, he's still a serviceable ball player. I'm not sure what you pay for that or if other teams value Soroka on anything more than a minor league contract, but I wouldn't mind if he stuck around, if only to bounce between AAA and MLB.

So many interchangeable 4A players. Kuhl hasn’t been great, hasn’t been awful. Soroka was awful in the rotation but okay in the pen. He’s a FA in a little over a week. Not sure having him on the roster matters. Sox could have 20 spots open on the 40 man by November. I do not know how they are going to build this into a 100 loss team.

41 minutes ago, nrockway said:

I don't think he's worth the $3million he earned this year. I think he's probably worth a minimum contract, but I would like to see him remain on the team. He's pretty good. Kind of like a better version of Jesse Scholtens, another player I like. I sort of think he could "break out" again, but if he doesn't, he's still a serviceable ball player. I'm not sure what you pay for that or if other teams value Soroka on anything more than a minor league contract, but I wouldn't mind if he stuck around, if only to bounce between AAA and MLB.

The Bummer trade was a failure.  Getz thought Lopez would be a legit starting 2B and that Soroka and Shuster could be 3 and 5 starters in his rotation.  He should have traded Bummer for prospects, not scrub vets to fill his roster.  The Sox have a 25 year old reliever to show for that trade.  Simply an awful trade of a lefty reliever who had trade value.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Bummer trade was a failure.  Getz thought Lopez would be a legit starting 2B and that Soroka and Shuster could be 3 and 5 starters in his rotation.  He should have traded Bummer for prospects, not scrub vets to fill his roster.  The Sox have a 25 year old reliever to show for that trade.  Simply an awful trade of a lefty reliever who had trade value.

@WestEddy laughed at this post of mine.  I’d love to hear all the positivity around this team from him, but I’m guessing he will just go AWOL like he usually does…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

@WestEddy laughed at this post of mine.  I’d love to hear all the positivity around this team from him, but I’m guessing he will just go AWOL like he usually does…

I still laugh at your posts. I suppose it's fun to evaluate trades when you pretend that parts of them don't exist. Riley Gowens exists. Soroka should be looked at with Flexen and Fedde, acquiring multiple starting pitchers in the hope that any of them could become productive MLB pitchers. Fedde worked out, therefore the entire experiment was a success. Lopez was a utility infielder that nobody in the system could beat out for the starting 2B job. Shuster is a serviceable bullpen arm. Shewmake should be DFAed. 

It's just funny that you have to post multiple times a day that you think this trade is a failure. I'm not sure what you're doing. 

10 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Fedde worked out, therefore the entire experiment was a success.

Considering that the other part of this experiment was turning at least one of those pitchers into a useful piece that contributes to the white Sox down the road…I’d say this seems most likely false.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Considering that the other part of this experiment was turning at least one of those pitchers into a useful piece that contributes to the white Sox down the road…I’d say this seems most likely false.

Jeral Perez slotted in as our #13 prospect (MLB.com) and OPSed .775 in a league he was a year and a half younger than. I'll wait to see if they can affect any change in Vargas, and how the injured guy looks before I make any judgements. 

Edited by WestEddy

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Jeral Perez slotted in as our #13 prospect (MLB.com) and OPSed .775 in a league he was a year and a half younger than. I'll wait to see if they can affect any change in Vargas, and how the injured guy looks before I make any judgements. 

More middle infielders without any dominant tools...more please.

Baldwin Gonzalez coming next to an infield near you.

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

I still laugh at your posts. I suppose it's fun to evaluate trades when you pretend that parts of them don't exist. Riley Gowens exists. Soroka should be looked at with Flexen and Fedde, acquiring multiple starting pitchers in the hope that any of them could become productive MLB pitchers. Fedde worked out, therefore the entire experiment was a success. Lopez was a utility infielder that nobody in the system could beat out for the starting 2B job. Shuster is a serviceable bullpen arm. Shewmake should be DFAed. 

It's just funny that you have to post multiple times a day that you think this trade is a failure. I'm not sure what you're doing. 

I acknowledged Gowens in my post…

”The Sox have a 25 year old reliever to show for that trade.”

Shuster is mediocre.  Low strikeouts and gives up too many baserunners.  He will simply waver around DFA material.

Fedde worked out and was then packaged with Kopech for terrible Vargas and a couple infield prospects.  Everyone was expecting a better return than that including you.

Lopez was acquired by Getz to be the starting 2B, not a utility infielder.  He was paid $4.3 million which is starter’s money for the Sox.  Let’s not change history…

Edited by WhiteSox2023

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I acknowledged Gowens in my post…

”The Sox have a 25 year old reliever to show for that trade.”

Shuster is mediocre.  Low strikeouts and gives up too many baserunners.  He will simply waver around DFA material.

Fedde worked out and was then packaged with Kopech for terrible Vargas and a couple infield prospects.  Everyone was expecting a better return than that including you.

Lopez was acquired by Getz to be the starting 2B, not a utility infielder.  He was paid $4.3 million which is starter’s money for the Sox.  Let’s not change history…

You've also said a few times that Bummer should have been traded for "prospects" - with an "S". How many teams do you think were lining up to clear out their minor league systems for a reliever whose 2023 numbers looked worse than Chad Kuhl's? Bummer could have most likely brought back a good arm. As in one. That's what they got in Gowens. Plus the others. 

This was Gowens' age-24 year season. I look forward to your 2-3 posts a day, going forward, telling us that this was a failed trade. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

You've also said a few times that Bummer should have been traded for "prospects" - with an "S". How many teams do you think were lining up to clear out their minor league systems for a reliever whose 2023 numbers looked worse than Chad Kuhl's? Bummer could have most likely brought back a good arm. As in one. That's what they got in Gowens. Plus the others. 

This was Gowens' age-24 year season. I look forward to your 2-3 posts a day, going forward, telling us that this was a failed trade. 

The Braves didn’t want to give up more prospects so Soroka, Shuster, and Lopez were all negative value players in the deal?  Probably right.  The Braves were likely going to non-tender Soroka and Lopez and Getz took them back as his main return.

He wasted a trade asset in Bummer, just like he wasted Mena and Fedde/Kopech.  The return for all three trades is crap.

He’s a bad GM.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 1

Bummer was bad with the Sox.

His specialty was coming in as a lefty and walking the first hitter (typically a lefty).

That said, he had trade value, because his peripherals were really good usually.

Should we have expected a king’s ransom for him? No.

Should we have gotten more for him? Yes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

Bummer was bad with the Sox.

His specialty was coming in as a lefty and walking the first hitter (typically a lefty).

That said, he had trade value, because his peripherals were really good usually.

Should we have expected a king’s ransom for him? No.

Should we have gotten more for him? Yes.

Bummer gave up the same one and a half baserunners an inning with the Braves like he did the previous 2 seasons with the Sox. I guess the Braves' defense could absorb that better than the Sox could. Bummer was a project. I believe his best days are behind him. Maybe the Sox could have gotten 2 prospect arms? 

11 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Bummer gave up the same one and a half baserunners an inning with the Braves like he did the previous 2 seasons with the Sox. I guess the Braves' defense could absorb that better than the Sox could. Bummer was a project. I believe his best days are behind him. Maybe the Sox could have gotten 2 prospect arms? 

Why do you hold water for a front office that has put together the worst team of all time? They are already 26 losses above your preseason projection with 6 to play. So even sucking that is taking a team you expect to win 90 games and having them lose 100. CHRIS GETZ SUCKS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Bummer had a 6.79 era over 54 innings when he was traded. Wtf were people expecting?

Someone to analyze beyond his baseball card numbers and go into the advanced peripherals...such as quality of contact against, ground ball percentage, inferior Sox infield defense as well as poor positioing, batted ball velo etc.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Why do you hold water for a front office that has put together the worst team of all time? They are already 26 losses above your preseason projection with 6 to play. So even sucking that is taking a team you expect to win 90 games and having them lose 100. CHRIS GETZ SUCKS.

Basically arguing nobody could have done much better due to the limitations or parameters set by JR.

The problem is that Fedde and Crochet were the only two real positives, with one positive 100% negated by the negative of Vargas.

Which only leaves Crochet...as long as his health holds.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Basically arguing nobody could have done much better due to the limitations or parameters set by JR.

The problem is that Fedde and Crochet were the only two real positives, with one positive 100% negated by the negative of Vargas.

Which only leaves Crochet...as long as his health holds.

All I know is anyone could have built the worst team of all time under those circumstances. If you can't do better than the worst team of all time, you shouldn't hold the job.

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

All I know is anyone could have built the worst team of all time under those circumstances. If you can't do better than the worst team of all time, you shouldn't hold the job.

Hard to imagine even  Hahn and Haber would have done worse...despite their public silence stance.

49 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Noticing that Riley Gowens is an actual pitching prospect isn't "carrying water". I'm not sure who expected 90 wins. 

44 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The win-loss record doesn't matter. Until it does. Getz is finally making changes to the organization that should have happened 5-10 years ago. I didn't really want the team to set the loss record, but who really cares? It's an organizational rebuild. Either the guys Getz puts in place will affect real change, or the team will get moderately better until JR kicks, then new owners will clean house. 

I really don't understand the need for everybody you encounter to repeat the things you say in your head.