Sox hire David Keller from NYM to run int'l scouting

soxfan49

23 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I like the hires Getz is making, at least on the surface.

Trades and player personnel is a whole different matter, but this seems like a good hiring.

These hires will lead to better player personnel decisions. Another outsider brought in. 

• Like 2

Experience

Education

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

The Camden Riversharks were an American professional baseball team based in Camden, New Jersey, from 2001 to 2015. They were a member of the Liberty Division of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball, which was not at that time affiliated with Major League Baseball. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The only truly important thing that matters is what his budget is.  If Jerry stays cheap as usual, the name doesn’t really matter.

40 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And if he has freedom to operate 

Wonder what empty promises Getz made to seal the deal. Looks like a good hire, but unless Captain Panic is secretly a JR whisper (hint: he's not) none of it really changes anything. 

13 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Wonder what empty promises Getz made to seal the deal. Looks like a good hire, but unless Captain Panic is secretly a JR whisper (hint: he's not) none of it really changes anything. 

Surely will bring Pete Alonso on board...who will proceed to turn out like 2011 Adam Dunn or David Wright.

Edited by caulfield12

12 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

My hope is that dude used the chaos to negotiate some serious concessions and not the Sox usual happy to have the promotion type of hire.

• Like 1

Home » Articles » White Sox hire David Keller to run international scouting department
penci2-holder.png.webp

WHITE SOX HIRE DAVID KELLER TO RUN INTERNATIONAL SCOUTING DEPARTMENT

written by Joe Binder
1 comment

The White Sox have made a quiet addition to their scouting staff.

Through his work for the [Camden] River Sharks, Keller got to meet A.J. Hinch, the [former] manager of the Houston Astros who at the time was running the farm system for the Arizona Diamondbacks. Hinch eventually hired Keller for his first scouting job. “I felt like I had the leadership ability and skills I wanted to continue to grow and develop, but I felt like I needed to learn how to evaluate [talent],” he says.

In 2009 Keller joined the Mets as a scout, then two years later was hired by the Boston Red Sox. He scouted for the Sox for three years, including a World Series championship experience in 2013. He then joined the Miami Marlins and was eventually named Director of Pro Scouting. After three “long and interesting years,” Keller was fired for the first time in his life—but less than a year later, he was back with the Mets as a pro scout, the position he holds currently. 

Based on a tweet from MLB insider Jon Heyman, it appears Keller was hired back by the Mets in 2017. He is currently listed as a “Special Assignment Scout” on New York’s staff directory.

https://www.soxon35th.com/white-sox-hire-david-keller-to-run-international-scouting-department/

Edited by caulfield12

Maybe this is ignorant, but is it normal to hire a guy named David to handle international scouting? I get that this is probably a desk job with scouts bringing him info, but I would still think someone more familiar with Latin American baseball would make sense.

Then again I of course couldn’t name a single person with this position in other organizations so maybe it’s not abnormal