Sox hire David Keller from NYM to run int'l scouting

soxfan49

Wasn't hired by Stearns era mets, isn't promoted or changed in stearns era mets, gets poached by Getz. 

Still so annoyed we had to keep the farce going that we had a director of international operations for 8 months when we could have hired a bonafide, established guy in Johnny DiPuglia whom left the nats. Royals, now a much better org than the sox, poached him. Getz sat.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wegner said:

Getz clearly cannot judge baseball talent on the field. Please explain to me why I should get excited about whoever he hires for any other positions?

You have two options. 1) Hope they get lucky and something works out until they have new ownership or 2) Be mad about everything because they have no idea what they are doing until they have new ownership.

I'm going with 1 because it's sports and also something I have zero control over. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Wasn't hired by Stearns era mets, isn't promoted or changed in stearns era mets, gets poached by Getz. 

Still so annoyed we had to keep the farce going that we had a director of international operations for 8 months when we could have hired a bonafide, established guy in Johnny DiPuglia whom left the nats. Royals, now a much better org than the sox, poached him. Getz sat.

I would have hated to see what happened if we went through an actual GM search which would've caused us to take even longer to get this done. We probably wouldn't have hired an international ops guy until 2028 at the earliest. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nitetrain8601 said:

I would have hated to see what happened if we went through an actual GM search which would've caused us to take even longer to get this done. We probably wouldn't have hired an international ops guy until 2028 at the earliest. 

So true. With Getz, we were able to identify that our Director of International Scouting had retired 8 years earlier while still getting paid and appearing on the org chart. That took a mere 10 months to identify.

Had we hired a brand new front office, that guy would have probably brought in someone new and they would have never found the cupboard that housed the international scouting.

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

Had we hired a brand new front office, that guy would have probably brought in someone new and they would have never found the cupboard that housed the international scouting.

I love this - like they FINALLY found that can of cranberry sauce they swore they bought last Thanksgiving and got in some huge argument over who forgot to buy what.

Or like it’s Milton stuck down in Storage B.

Seriously, we need to make a show called “The Front Office” about the 2022~ 2024 (and counting) Sox. The main characters are:

1. The receptionist who’s been loyal to JR for 30 years
2. A ticket sales rep who went to Michigan business school as an undergrad and flunked out of ND business school to work for the Sox, only to find out what a s%*# show it is
3. A data analyst who interned with the Astros, didn’t get offered a contract upon graduation, then was “poached” by the inept front office who didn’t realize his plan was to publish videos on YouTube to expose the dark secrets of a dysfunctional and toxic baseball front office

42 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I love this - like they FINALLY found that can of cranberry sauce they swore they bought last Thanksgiving and got in some huge argument over who forgot to buy what.

Or like it’s Milton stuck down in Storage B.

Seriously, we need to make a show called “The Front Office” about the 2022~ 2024 (and counting) Sox. The main characters are:

1. The receptionist who’s been loyal to JR for 30 years
2. A ticket sales rep who went to Michigan business school as an undergrad and flunked out of ND business school to work for the Sox, only to find out what a s%*# show it is
3. A data analyst who interned with the Astros, didn’t get offered a contract upon graduation, then was “poached” by the inept front office who didn’t realize his plan was to publish videos on YouTube to expose the dark secrets of a dysfunctional and toxic baseball front office

Boyer and Dan Fabian the NDers

Hahn and Getz the Michigan ones

1 hour ago, PaleAleSox said:

You have two options. 1) Hope they get lucky and something works out until they have new ownership or 2) Be mad about everything because they have no idea what they are doing until they have new ownership.

I'm going with 1 because it's sports and also something I have zero control over. 

Look we are all #2 to a varying extent, but we all have some #1 as a fan of anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Boyer and Dan Fabian the NDers

Hahn and Getz the Michigan ones

Yep.

Thus those two schools. The character would have been such a mediocre hire by any other standards, but he would have been “fast tracked” and given the benefit of the doubt by both of those institutional connections.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

So true. With Getz, we were able to identify that our Director of International Scouting had retired 8 years earlier while still getting paid and appearing on the org chart. That took a mere 10 months to identify.

Getz seemingly axed his "rivals" (KW Jr., Haber) immediately then spent a year going "hmmmm"

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wegner said:

Getz clearly cannot judge baseball talent on the field. Please explain to me why I should get excited about whoever he hires for any other positions?

I would think the quality of a hiring would be determined by the merits of the individual that was hired rather than the person who made the hire

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

So we have established that Getz can identify baseball people that are smarter than he is. Awesome. But being smarter than Getz is such a low bar that it's hardly reason to be encouraged or excited by these hires.

We have also established how baseball dumb he is...

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The problem is, we won't know if this guy is any good for probably 6 or 7 or 8 years.

While a lot of the top players are probably already signed for the next couple of years, I think the department can be turned around quickly, especially once the new complex is finished being constructed as they'll be forced to sign more players to fill complex, more bites at the apple. 

But the Orioles spent the fewest money on INTL players before Elias came and they were able to turn that around pretty quickly. I think the first player they signed was Samuel Basallo

• Like 1

"When it's complete, the entirety of the organization's baseball operations will have been overhauled, the approximately 65 fresh faces in scouting, player development and analytics brought in with an eye toward modernizing the way Baltimore does business on each of these fronts. Under Elias, the Orioles’ previously bare analytics and international scouting departments have grown tenfold and fivefold, respectively. Their domestic scouting operations are in the process of drastic restructuring, and overhaul on the player development side, from philosophy to personnel, will soon be plain to see."

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-rebuilding-under-mike-elias

After it began in earnest with a round of dismissals in September, Elias framed the reshaping through the lens of a “very large wave of change going on around baseball” with regards to the data-driven processes organizations now adhere to. Keeping up with metaphor, the Orioles are an iceberg -- rapidly changing but in ways mostly under-the-surface and out of public view.

“I’m proud of the organizational progress we’ve made in terms of setting up our staffing, infrastructure and capabilities for what we need them to be now and in the next couple of years,” Elias said. “Things are still moving in the right direction but it's still relatively early in my tenure, and we still have more than half the offseason left and a long ways to go as a team and as an organization.”

That's where Elias was just one year into his tenure...a vision or mission statement, think of Jerry Maguire here if it helps.

Edited by caulfield12