2025 White Sox offseason preview

caulfield12

Goals for 2025

"The White Sox might be the only team in baseball that should be satisfied with finishing last overall next season. This is an organization that needs to follow the lead of teams such as the Orioles and Astros, who fell to the cellar for multiple years before using their draft picks to build a sustainable contender. Still, there are other ways for Chicago to measure success.

Even though the team will have a losing record, it should strive to be much more competitive in 2025. It’s time to put an end to memorable losing streaks, and for the sake of the younger players, this team needs to develop a competitive mindset next year.

Beyond the scoreboard, 2025 success in Chicago will be measured by the improvement of the organization’s younger players. Position players such as Vargas, Robert and Vaughn need to take a step forward or bounce back. Crochet, assuming he stays with the organization, must continue to establish himself as a workhorse. Young pitchers such as Cannon, Thorpe and Ky Bush need to make progress toward being trusted rotation members. And hopefully, some of the minor leaguers mentioned above can give White Sox fans a glimpse of a brighter future."

Not really anything new.  Hard to consider Bush a top rotation candidate...Burke would definitely be the rising star possibility after his two starts.

Crochet and Robert 90% of focus.

And the usual MiLB suspects like Schultz Smith Montgomery Quero.

Astros/Orioles comps completely useless if they can't enjoy consistent run of Top 1-5 first rounders over 3-4 years of bottoming out.

Stupid Yahoo Sports keeps changing their headlines and then there are numerous others like Bell firing in Cincy under the same link.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

That's crazy. Listen to Schriffen. The starting rotation is stacked. The bullpen is fixed. Sosa, Vargas and Ramos are future stars. Benintendi and Vaughn have it figured out. La Pantera is sure to bounce back. Fletcher has earned RF. Korey Lee is another future star. If Montgomery can play replacement level, the playoffs should be a lock.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That's crazy. Listen to Schriffen. The starting rotation is stacked. The bullpen is fixed. Sosa, Vargas and Ramos are future stars. Benintendi and Vaughn have it figured out. La Pantera is sure to bounce back. Fletcher has earned RF. Korey Lee is another future star. If Montgomery can play replacement level, the playoffs should be a lock.

Don't forget Fletcher's DRS numbers are simply off the chart...overlooking his putrid offensive performance.

And Vaughn/Sheets will finally realize their potential.

Benintendi will play well enough to get dumped for the likes of Julks DeLoach Ortega.

One of the live arms in the pen will eventually master control...Berroa or Iriarte, magic ally morphing into the next Santos so we can flip them since losing teams don't need closers.

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Don't forget Fletcher's DRS numbers are simply off the chart...overlooking his putrid offensive performance.

And Vaughn/Sheets will finally realize their potential.

Benintendi will play well enough to get dumped for the likes of Julks DeLoach Ortega.

One of the live arms in the pen will eventually master control...Berroa or Iriarte, magic ally morphing into the next Santos so we can flip them since losing teams don't need closers.

I think it can be argued that Sheets has reached his potential already.  😂

57 minutes ago, JTB said:

I think it can be argued that Sheets has reached his potential already.  😂

I’ve heard that he’s looked great out in RF this season.  Just waiting for the offseason puff piece about how he’s putting in the work defensively before he’s the Opening Day starter in right.

8 minutes ago, Rusty said:

I’ve heard that he’s looked great out in RF this season.  Just waiting for the offseason puff piece about how he’s putting in the work defensively before he’s the Opening Day starter in right.

Seems like he has been around forever but he is yet to crack 3 years of service time. Sadly we won't be rid of him any time soon...

#FindANewTeam

Don't all of the teams not owned by Reinsdorf try to follow the Rays model?  Yet so few actually achieve that.

Competitive is a vague word these days.  I guess the Reds and Pirates are competitive until the trade deadline and offseason. The habitual losing teams always buys over the hill lightning in a bottle free agents with the intention of trading them.  Then they are stuck with them if they are really bad.  No team scores on those returns.

Sure you can have stud starters but they only work every 5 days.  MLB draft picks are not like the other sports and a higher risk.  Sometimes it more luck than scouting.  You need that stud everyday player. When you consistently failed like the Sox have with their 1st round it sets you back longer than 5 years.  I like them some label prospects as lottery picks.   They only problem with other teams prospects if they went through a differently philosophy and how long will it be that they unlearn those things.

I wonder if Sox fans really have patience where the owner is a small market wannabe.   Once again few teams have successful rebuilds and there is also luck that comes with. I don't know if a Sox fans could deal with another 5 years of being bad and it could be longer than that.  The bad luck is having injury prone players.

I often wonder if retooling is better than rebuilding.

• Like 1

It’s stunning to think about given that they are currently the worst team in MLB history but…they easily could be even worse next season.  I don’t even know how it’s statistically possible in baseball at a professional level but they could seriously lose 130 games.

Getz isn’t going anywhere so we know talent identification and player development will continue to be an issue.  They have already stated that they will slash payroll and we are only a week or two away from Jerry publicly blaming the fans for that so no significant FA additions are on the horizon.  The top prospects like Montgomery or Schultz aren’t nearly MLB ready but will probably be pushed into service out of pure organizational desperation.  The top young players that are MLB ready both play catcher.  Likely trade Crochet and Robert so they literally have about zero above average MLB players on the 26 man.  Assume they’ll try to package Benintendi with one of them so the return will be significantly degraded.  Even if they don’t, Getz can’t be trusted in a trade to get anything meaningful back.  Moncada is horrible,  but he at least is an MLB player.  When they decline his option, they’ll trot Vargas out there every day.  Thinking about the Opening Day lineup next season is terrifying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

#FindANewTeam

Don't all of the teams not owned by Reinsdorf try to follow the Rays model?  Yet so few actually achieve that.

Competitive is a vague word these days.  I guess the Reds and Pirates are competitive until the trade deadline and offseason. The habitual losing teams always buys over the hill lightning in a bottle free agents with the intention of trading them.  Then they are stuck with them if they are really bad.  No team scores on those returns.

Sure you can have stud starters but they only work every 5 days.  MLB draft picks are not like the other sports and a higher risk.  Sometimes it more luck than scouting.  You need that stud everyday player. When you consistently failed like the Sox have with their 1st round it sets you back longer than 5 years.  I like them some label prospects as lottery picks.   They only problem with other teams prospects if they went through a differently philosophy and how long will it be that they unlearn those things.

I wonder if Sox fans really have patience where the owner is a small market wannabe.   Once again few teams have successful rebuilds and there is also luck that comes with. I don't know if a Sox fans could deal with another 5 years of being bad and it could be longer than that.  The bad luck is having injury prone players.

I often wonder if retooling is better than rebuilding.

Until the Sox get new ownership they'll do neither of your options correctly. 

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

Considering his trades so far, I am terrified of Getz trading Crochet and Robert.

Extremely fearful.   He has displayed the habits of the habitual losing small market organizations.

Traded one cost controlled pitcher for nothing.

If you are an opposing GM you can think of reason for not giving a mythical haul for Crochet.  One is maybe the Sox know something  that may not be a successful 2nd season since no real GM is going to give up a cost controlled pitcher.  

If an organization is not good at identifying and developing talent  no trades in the world are going to make them better.  Baseball is a trade frenzy sport and results are often ignored that the percentages of them working out are slim.  Yet we are so conditioned to that mindset.   So often those trades just become more trades.  There's this mythical logic of getting rid of a player because the team wont be any good.  So when is it established a team will be good?  Rely on farm and prospect rankings?  Being a successful ML franchise is extremely hard.