Battle of the Broadcasters this weekend

caulfield12

"Rogers: Well, it would be quite fun if the Chicago White Sox could somehow avoid setting the record for the most losses in a single season by winning games against the Detroit Tigers this coming weekend -- while also preventing the Tigers from making the postseason. If the opposite happens and Detroit sweeps, it will have gone 12-1 against the White Sox -- the same record the Royals and Minnesota Twins have against the Sox this season. Chicago's futility kept the entire AL Central in the playoff race, impacting the playoff chances of other AL teams such as the Boston Red Sox and Mariners. Alas, the White Sox are just one loss away from a new record -- but that doesn't necessarily mean they can't spoil things for the Tigers this weekend."

Jesse Rogers espn.com

For all Benetti and Schiffren commentary down the stretch...haha

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2024/09/23/jackson-jobe-promotion-detroit-tigers-call-up-top-pitching-prospect-playoff-push/75352746007/

#6 MiLB Prospect Jackson Jobe recalled...could be eligible for post season.

Detroit with a one game lead and control of their own destiny.

Braves/Royals the other exciting series of the weekend after Atlanta take on the Mets.

https://barrettmedia.com/2022/08/30/jason-benetti-calling-college-football-is-espns-loss-fox-sports-gain/

A refresher on Benetti...past article about move from ESPN to Fox

Edited by caulfield12

Tigers are sky high...now leading KC and the Twins by 1/2 and 1 1/2.

28-11 run now behind dominant pitching.

Skubal would go again Sunday if necessary, he's clearly your AL Cy Young.  Has gone from just 80 innings in 2023 to nearing 200 this season.

And to think they were considering trading him at the deadline...

Royals have lost seven in a row, 7-16 and Minnesota on a  11-22 run so both teams in full collapse mode as Seattle desperately tries to join the fray.

Edited by caulfield12

On 9/24/2024 at 9:04 AM, Highland said:

Even if the Sox helped to keep Detroit out of the playoffs, it does nothing to redeem this pathetic season.

I disagree completely. For the first time since mid-May, I'm excited for a series. 

Does knocking the Tigers out of the playoffs, redeem the season? Of course not. But it will be fun and exciting. A real reason to play. 

Come Sox!! Let's stick it to the Tigers and keep them out of the playoff. I'll be watching. 

2 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

I disagree completely. For the first time since mid-May, I'm excited for a series. 

Does knocking the Tigers out of the playoffs, redeem the season? Of course not. But it will be fun and exciting. A real reason to play. 

Come Sox!! Let's stick it to the Tigers and keep them out of the playoff. I'll be watching. 

And we also have bonus baseball on Monday with Mets/Braves DH…moved from the path of Hurricane Helene and just one game separating the two as of this exact moment.

And the possibility of Benetti missing a playoff clincher on Saturday while doing Fox #2 game with Damon Huard.

Royals starting to beat up Corbin, worst pitcher in baseball since 2019 WS who has made 30+ starts every season regardless, the most durable/available.

That would be 11 games over, with Minnesota at +6.

TB 2-0 over Det, who will be +9/+11.

Wouldn’t be totally shocked if they signed Corbin to replace Flexen and possibly mentor Crochet.

Or Kyle Hendricks.

Edited by caulfield12

4 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

Don't get your hopes up. The Tigers are not the Angels.

Tigers have rallied from 3-0 down to take 4-3 lead late.

Question is whether they can close it out.

10 years since last playoff appearance

Magic number 3 for the moment, Minnesota plays tonight..

Just don’t want to see Crochet overthrow tmrw in what will weirdly feel like a postseason game with loss record and Detroit unreal home crowd possibly looking to clinch WC.

Royals rallied 7-4 lead late.  Would both be +11 with Minny absolutely needing a win to stay two back with three.

And Minnesota with tiebreaker situation head to head with Det has to win 4/4 probably.  
Benetti has a magic moment.  What a comeback.  And maybe the pressure to sweep the Sox is now off and no Skubal on Sunday.

Still no Detroit starter for tmrw announced.