9/25 Sox vs. California Angels 6:40PM - is today the day?

DoUEvenShift

Well we know Sosa and Lee and Beni give Getz three less spots to worry about this offseason. They are guaranteed starters next year. Are they good nuff to help the Sox start winning some series? Lee will start the season as a much better player than this year's catcher, Maldy. And Sosa appears hitterish. Also Beni appears to be the face of the new Sox. He actually is now an acceptable leadoff hitter.

Edited by greg775

42 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Well we know Sosa and Lee and Beni give Getz three less spots to worry about this offseason. They are guaranteed starters next year. Are they good nuff to help the Sox start winning some series? Lee will start the season as a much better player than this year's catcher, Maldy. And Sosa appears hitterish. Also Beni appears to be the face of the new Sox. He actually is now an acceptable leadoff hitter.

If a 625 ops with bottom quintile defense is the answer on the infield the team is doomed.

Because Vargas and Baldwin all profile similarly, Ramos for now, and Montgomery still a work in progress.

Benintendi has to repeat this the first half of next season.  Then maybe they can trade him and only have to send $10-20 million along with his contract instead of 50%.  But as a DH and not average LF, he has fairly limited attractiveness.  Being LH helps a bit but those defensive metrics aren’t close to good.

Had to work and missed the game (I get to see attempt #3 tomorrow though :).

Were the Sox good, or were the Angels just worse?

I caught a bit on GameDay and assumed the boys were just salty about being booed for winning on Tuesday and decided to actually try. 

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If a 625 ops with bottom quintile defense is the answer on the infield the team is doomed.

Because Vargas and Baldwin all profile similarly, Ramos for now, and Montgomery still a work in progress.

Benintendi has to repeat this the first half of next season.  Then maybe they can trade him and only have to send $10-20 million along with his contract instead of 50%.  But as a DH and not average LF, he has fairly limited attractiveness.  Being LH helps a bit but those defensive metrics aren’t close to good.

Can you imagine the Sox payroll when they trade Robert and Crochet? They won't have anybody making a buck. I'm assuming Sheets is gone and Vaughn is likely gone. Next year's team projects as offensively inept as this year's cause Nicky will be starting, too.

7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Can you imagine the Sox payroll when they trade Robert and Crochet? They won't have anybody making a buck. I'm assuming Sheets is gone and Vaughn is likely gone. Next year's team projects as offensively inept as this year's cause Nicky will be starting, too.

Not at anywhere close to this year’s salary.  Will just play rookies.

The weird thing about roster building is last year the front office had no plan. All the minor leaguers of note weren't deemed ready and the Sox went and acquired three non big leaguers in DeJong, Nicky and Maldy. We knew if Vaughn and Sheets didn't hit for bleep then that's five automatic outs. The pitching staff was atrocious. It was a team built to lose 120 games.

So how are they gonna put a team on the field any better than that next April. How they can sell even 100 season tickets would be anybody's guess. The team's only hope of winning would be if the rookies Caufield mentioned are on fire.

How Stoney is signing up to broadcast that awful team is beyond me.

Before the game, Luis Robert Jr. talked about his statistical drop off this season and tied those struggles directly into that of the team as a true leader and top-flight level player would and should do.

Robert followed up those comments with two doubles, contributing to the postgame joy in the clubhouse. A throng of media members, probably as big as any group covering the White Sox this season since Opening Day, walked in to find players joking and "Everybody Dance Now," the 1990 hit from C+C Music Factory, blaring.

Anyone who came to see history made by the White Sox will have to wait, with the White Sox winning their fourth straight at home and second straight series at home.

“Wait one more day,” Benintendi said with a smile. “Maybe.”

“If you start the year off great early and terrible at the end, it kind of leaves a sour taste in your mouth,” Martin said. “I think that's exactly what we're trying to do is put some good games together and we're trying to have some fun and win some games and go to Detroit and try to spoil some games for them.”

As for that Detroit series … the White Sox moved Chris Flexen to Thursday’s home finale and ace Garrett Crochet to Friday in Detroit. The American League Central rivalries are going strong, even in the face of 121 losses.

“They’re gonna be competing for a playoff spot,” Sizemore said. “We wanna throw our best guy up against this team that’s fighting for a playoff spot.

6 hours ago, dohnut said:

Had to work and missed the game (I get to see attempt #3 tomorrow though :).

Were the Sox good, or were the Angels just worse?

I caught a bit on GameDay and assumed the boys were just salty about being booed for winning on Tuesday and decided to actually try. 

The fans who show up should give the players a break, most of them are minor leaguers who have been rushed to the big club, the others just aren’t good major leaguers, any wrath shown should be directed at the architects of this disaster, Reinsdorf and Getz. 

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Beni is making a buck, maybe a bit more, Crochet probably not.

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Beni is making a buck, maybe a bit more, Crochet probably not.

Benintendi:

2024: $16.5 million 

2025: $16.5 million 

2026: $16.5 million 

2027: $14.5 million

Crochet:

2024: $800,000

2025: Arbitration Eligible

2026: Arbitration Eligible

26 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Sox trolls want to see the record.

People want to see history.  I remember being at a game in the mid 1980s where Dave Steib of the Blue Jays was pitching a no hitter against the Sox at Comiskey.  As we got through the 7th and 8th innings, the fans slowly switched over and were cheering each strike and out against the Sox.  We got to the 9th, no hitter in tact trailing 6-0, and Rudy Law hit a homer leading off.  The fans first booed, and then finally got quiet.  Bryan Little came up next and homered as well.  There were a few boos, but mostly applause.  Then Harold went deep, and the place was all back to Sox fans.