Bleacher Report: White Sox expose MLB's not so secret crisis of bad ownership

Quin

9 hours ago, Quin said:

Chris Getz's favorite baseball publication lays out the argument that the White Sox and JR are now the poster child for the one thing that can ruin the sport: horrendous ownership.

I have a feeling Getz won’t be referencing this Bleacher Report article like he did with the one about the Sox farm system being ranked third in the MLB.  🤣

I think it’s so funny how owners like reinsdorf will be the ones to point to analytics and consulting-esque front offices ruining baseball while he puts together one of the least watchable teams in history and teams like the orioles are bashing 250 home runs

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I think it’s so funny how owners like reinsdorf will be the ones to point to analytics and consulting-esque front offices ruining baseball while he puts together one of the least watchable teams in history and teams like the orioles are bashing 250 home runs

They need an announcer that just calls the game!

And plays baseball the right way!

And TLR definitely knows best!

The Tories when this s%*# doesn't work:

confused-mr-krabs-meme.jpg?auto=compress

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Look the most analytical slave organization in baseball by all accounts is Houston.  They have eight playoff appearances in a row to show for it.  We have 120 losses by acting like the Brooklyn Dodgers.  You tell me who is winning?

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Look the most analytical slave organization in baseball by all accounts is Houston.  They have eight playoff appearances in a row to show for it.  We have 120 losses by acting like the Brooklyn Dodgers.  You tell me who is winning?

Pee Wee Reese, Roy Campanella, Duke Snider and Jackie Robinson.

Edited by caulfield12

30 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

In addition to the 'bad ownership' story this came out today from Moneyball author Michael Lewis:

https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/moneyball-michael-lewis-analytics-boring-baseball-athletics.html

It’s simply seen as an old white man’s game.  Look no further than JR.

Is bringing in more modern tech and gambling ties to Draft Kings, LV and FanDuel really going to succeed at making it younger?

Portland's AM sport station 1080, is convinced the Sox are headed to Nashville

Fwiw the dude sounds like a total moron

me personally, I do believe Reinsdorf is working a sale, he's never been shy about rolling out a mid to high payroll, but now he's actively shedding payroll and contracts like we've never seen since the white flag, and I feel like this is even worse than that

who knows if the team will remain in Chicago, but I do think he's getting ready to sell off a low payroll team with a (potentially) new stadium. in his eyes, if he can get it paid for by someone other than the White Sox,that makes selling the team that much more attractive 

Edited by joejoesox

41 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

me personally, I do believe Reinsdorf is working a sale, he's never been shy about rolling out a mid to high payroll, but now he's actively shedding payroll and contracts like we've never seen since the white flag, and I feel like this is even worse than that

who knows if the team will remain in Chicago, but I do think he's getting ready to sell off a low payroll team with a (potentially) new stadium. in his eyes, if he can get it paid for by someone other than the White Sox, that makes selling the team that much more attractive 

Anything is possible but he has been adamant he's not selling while he is alive in part because of the massive capital gains tax hit (estimated to be around 200 million) then he'll have to pay the Illinois state tax hit which will be more millions of dollars.  

2 hours ago, joejoesox said:

who knows if the team will remain in Chicago, but I do think he's getting ready to sell off a low payroll team with a (potentially) new stadium. in his eyes, if he can get it paid for by someone other than the White Sox,that makes selling the team that much more attractive 

I've said it before but if I was unattached to the weeds of this loser Reinsdorf...on its face this playbook looks very much like an owner trying to sell.

- Tank the team and lose attendance

- Put forward a proposal for a stadium requiring taxpayer funding on claims existing place is not sustainable due to attendance

- Get denied because there is zero chance

- Tell MLB you need to move to be competitive, the state won't support us and the fans have abandoned us

We are at 2/3

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I've said it before but if I was unattached to the weeds of this loser Reinsdorf...on its face this playbook looks very much like an owner trying to sell.

- Tank the team and lose attendance

- Put forward a proposal for a stadium requiring taxpayer funding on claims existing place is not sustainable due to attendance

- Get denied because there is zero chance

- Tell MLB you need to move to be competitive, the state won't support us and the fans have abandoned us

We are at 2/3

the fact he hired a no-name, no-talent guy as GM, someone who would be very forgettable if fired instead of hiring an actual GM with qualifications lends even more credence to the sale hypothesis