9/26 Sox vs. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim 1:10PM - final home game

14 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is what you get for less than 2 million in free agency.

One of Getz best signings. Better than Clevinger, Pham, Maldonado, Tim Hill.

Edit: and if you go just by WAR, better than Paul DeJong too.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

One of Getz best signings. Better than Clevinger, Pham, Maldonado, Tim Hill.

Edit: and if you go just by WAR, better than Paul DeJong too.

If you looked at it as an acquisition that was meant for a contender maybe.

But I disagree because the goal was to actually get something in return for his offseason acquisitions.  DeJong and even Pham were at least dealt for a return.

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

But I disagree because the goal was to actually get something in return for his offseason acquisitions.  DeJong and even Pham were at least dealt for a return.

Yes and no.

Ideally he’d have pitched well enough to flip at the deadline, but they also desperately needed an arm to eat innings just to get through the season. 

7 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Yes and no.

Ideally he’d have pitched well enough to flip at the deadline, but they also desperately needed an arm to eat innings just to get through the season. 

Flexen has a 3-15 record.  Touki or some other starter/swingman bum could have done the job, ate innings, and contributed to losses just the same as Flexen.  It wouldn’t have mattered.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

13 hours ago, WBWSF said:

They will add a couple of hitters to the present lineup this off season. There will be  numerous players on this team that won't be back next year.

They will not, and they have told you that they will not 

23 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

They will not, and they have told you that they will not 

Oh, I’m sure they will add a couple hitters but they will be DeJong/Lopez/Sheets quality and under $5 million.

Here is the proof if @WBWSF doesn’t believe you…

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/mlb/chicago-white-sox/getz-reveals-white-sox-dont-plan-on-being-big-spenders-in-free-agency/3556463/?os=i&ref=app%3Famp&amp=1

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Flexen still has 2 years of control left. He very well can be moved this offseason or next year. For the price, he was fine. Not like they gave him a significant amount. Maldy was paid almost 3 times more.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Oh, I’m sure they will add a couple hitters but they will be DeJong/Lopez/Sheets quality and under $5 million.

Here is the proof if @WBWSF doesn’t believe you…

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/mlb/chicago-white-sox/getz-reveals-white-sox-dont-plan-on-being-big-spenders-in-free-agency/3556463/?os=i&ref=app%3Famp&amp=1

I like how there's the "I can assure you it won't be the top of the market" line thrown in there.

Like he has a choice from either the ownership side (like JR will spend the money) or from the player side (like any "top of the market" player would want to come here)

14 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I like how there's the "I can assure you it won't be the top of the market" line thrown in there.

Like he has a choice from either the ownership side (like JR will spend the money) or from the player side (like any "top of the market" player would want to come here)

Getz is setting expectations for the Sox fans who are pissed off about this season and that are expecting dramatic offseason moves, because they aren’t happening.  Getz also recently used the word “rebuild” for the first time.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Getz is setting expectations for the Sox fans who are pissed off about this season and that are expecting dramatic offseason moves, because they aren’t happening.  Getz also recently used the word “rebuild” for the first time.

Look, there is no point in adding anything short term worth while to this team.  They won't be good in the next 4 to 5 years anyway, so it would be pissed away.  Fill out the roster, fill the innings, and that is all you need.  This is the time to draft, develop, and make long term trades, not for a short term free agent.  Add those guys when we are 40 games better and near .500.

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Flexen has a 3-15 record.  Touki or some other starter/swingman bum could have done the job, ate innings, and contributed to losses just the same as Flexen.  It wouldn’t have mattered.

W-L record definitely does not matter, especially with this team.

And I get what you’re saying, but Touki or whoever else you have in mind was not going to give you 160 innings. Hell, going into the season, I just assumed Flexen would be a guy DFA’d by June.

It’s not sexy by any means, but he provided value to the Sox by filling an SP slot so that they only had to juggle 3 of those spots all season and not 4.

37 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Look, there is no point in adding anything short term worth while to this team.  They won't be good in the next 4 to 5 years anyway, so it would be pissed away.  Fill out the roster, fill the innings, and that is all you need.  This is the time to draft, develop, and make long term trades, not for a short term free agent.  Add those guys when we are 40 games better and near .500.

I agree with you.  I was referring to the meatball fans that think making a bunch of big signings this offseason would be the fix to losing.

9 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

Nobody is getting fooled by a “hot streak” of three games. Unless there are a lot more Gregs out there that I’m unaware of, but I’m pretty sure you’re one of a kind.

Aren't the Sox .500 over about 12 games now? And they'll whip Detroit this weekend as well. It's meant to be. The inept Sox can claim they are now a contender cause of two weeks in Sept.

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think there's a chance it's flipped but yeah I think those two are in the Opening Day lineup.

Me too. My point is they won't even have to go veteran bottom of the barrel to field an everyday lineup. They even got two catchers. They got all the positions covered pretty much. ... However to save a good buck I bet they try to trade Beni, Robert and Crochet. They buy out Moncada, nobody will be dumb enough to pick him up without a contract laden with incentives.

Edited by greg775

17 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Doubtful DeLoach Robinson Amaya…very doubtful.

How come? They aren't ready to contend and those guys are already here and come cheap. Should be interesting if they go witih an all-young pitching staff. ... Meanwhile Sale pitches for a playoff spot. He's maintained his excellence.

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think there's a chance it's flipped but yeah I think those two are in the Opening Day lineup.

Any chance they non-tender Vaughn and try Vargas at first? Admittedly he doesn’t hit enough to play 1b, but on the bright side, he doesn’t hit enough to play anywhere else either.

12 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Aren't the Sox .500 over about 12 games now? And they'll whip Detroit this weekend as well. It's meant to be. The inept Sox can claim they are now a contender cause of two weeks in Sept.

That’s just not credible.

Ask the season ticket brokers how things are going.

Also to the earlier conversation, Soroka hasn’t been talked about much but he could fit in that swingman/vet role. Just not sure if they can agree on salary.  Someone in the front office seems to like him, though.  Maybe Dayton Moore pushed him to Getz as a former Braves’ guy, or Hostetler.

Edited by caulfield12

9 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ones who claim to be unable to watch the team, have to ask routine questions that normal fans already know about the team, and know everything about the Cubs...  for example. 

greg would pass a test on the White Sox and flunk one on the Cubs and Royals. I probably know as much as any Sox fan out there who doesn't belong to this board as I'm not as well versed on the prospects coming up.

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Any chance they non-tender Vaughn and try Vargas at first? Admittedly he doesn’t hit enough to play 1b, but on the bright side, he doesn’t hit enough to play anywhere else either.

Too small a target…and doesn’t hit for power.   Burger would have been nice in these throwaway seasons.  Ramos, maybe?

One way or another, you have those two, Baldwin, Sosa and Montgomery to fit somewhere.

7 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I don't think Vaughn is going anywhere.  They love his makeup and work ethic. They think he can be a team leader.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1