Crochet open to extension...

Lip Man 1

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

You mean a 3 year deal starting now, or a 5 year deal that buys out 3 years of free agency?

3 year deal starting now. Figure out what 2 years of Arb is worth + fair amount in year 3. Guessing somewhere between 40-45M for 3 years?

Again, I don’t think this will actually happen. Just could make sense for both sides. 

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Seriously, F this guy after his trade deadline antics.  Trade him.

Cmon, from what we've read about our clubhouse full of jerks give Crochet a break. You guys want perfection out of people like Crochet and Ozzie. Relax.

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’d like to hear from the posters who want to sign Crochet to a 3-year extension…

Will the rest of the team be good enough with Crochet here to win anything in the next 3 years?  With what lineup?

That’s going to be the argument in 2026 when Schulz or Smith gets hurt.

Then they will start yet another rebuild because only one really high caliber pitcher?

Perpetual rebuilding.

Three year extension plus two arb years would be five total years of control though.  They would have to set reasonable numbers to cover arb, guaranteeing those first two years as well.  Five year deal essentially.

Edited by caulfield12

7 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I'd rather have 2 Top 100 positional prospects

But knowing the current development in this organisation those 2 top positional prospects will turn out to be busts.

Edited by Chimpton

34 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

But knowing the current development in this organisation those 2 toppositional prospects will turn out to be busts.

Prospect/farm system rankings are overrated.  Look up any bust the Sox have. BTW what was Vargas' rating.   They are lottery picks. If you can't scout and develop in your own system trying to fix that fault by using other farm systems doesn't really work.  It's high risk that yet so many can't see it rarely works.

Somehow we think this organization is going to be competitive in a few years   What does that really mean?   The Pirates and Reds are always competitive until mid July. We've seen that under Williams.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’d like to hear from the posters who want to sign Crochet to a 3-year extension…

Will the rest of the team be good enough with Crochet here to win anything in the next 3 years?  With what lineup?

Put me down for signing Crochet to an extension, I like having All Stars on the roster. 

I look at the Sox having elite starting pitching with Smith and Schultz coming on.  They also have pieces in place for a very good bullpen without having to trade for.

They can add on additional position players through trades and F/A.

Edited by Falstaff
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

That’s going to be the argument in 2026 when Schulz or Smith gets hurt.

Then they will start yet another rebuild because only one really high caliber pitcher?

Perpetual rebuilding.

Three year extension plus two arb years would be five total years of control though.  They would have to set reasonable numbers to cover arb, guaranteeing those first two years as well.  Five year deal essentially.

Huh?  Crochet is a free agent in 2027.  A 3-year extension now would buy out his last 2 arbitration years (2025 and 2026) and his first year of free agency in 2027.  He would then be a free agent in 2028.  What you are describing would have to be a 5-year extension, which Jerry likely wouldn’t approve for a pitcher.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

15 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

Put me down for signing Crochet to an extension, I like having All Stars on the roster. 

I look at the Sox having elite starting pitching with Smith and Schultz coming on.  They also have pieces in place for a very good bullpen without having to trade for.

They can add on additional position players through trades and F/A.

You’ve seen what positional starting talent Getz acquired this year.  He thought Fletcher and Vargas were starting caliber.  Getz couldn’t build a new quality lineup in 3 years if he sold his soul to the devil.  They have what, two prospects right now that may be quality starters in Montgomery and Ramos?  And even they aren’t sure bets.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

7 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

They may well lose 100 games each of the next 3 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

For everyone saying the Sox are set with Schultz and Smith:

Remember when we were set with Giolito, Kopech, Lopez, Cease, Dunning and Rodon?

Pitching is the most volatile part of this game and after trading Cease and Fedde - the best starting pitchers on the market both times - Getz really doesn't have much in the way of positional prospects to show for it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You’ve seen what positional starting talent Getz acquired this year.  He thought Fletcher and Vargas were starting caliber.  Getz couldn’t build a new quality lineup in 3 years if he sold his soul to the devil.  They have what, two prospects right now that may be quality starters in Montgomery and Ramos?  And even they aren’t sure bets.

Did Benintendi's second half make him at least tradeable?  Did Sosa figure it out? his last month .368/.388/.540 7 .927 OPS , if he did then 2nd base is covered. Will Robert be on the trading block? I think it would be better to keep Robert and see if he can bounce back to his 2023 numbers and then decide to trade or extend him.

Ramos at third , Mongomery at SS , and Quero catching are going to be given a shot.  There are still lots of holes to fill but the youngsters give me hope that they can develop if given a chance.

Could someone like Tim Elko share DH/1st base and hit 30 bombs, who knows

Edited by Falstaff
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Quin said:

For everyone saying the Sox are set with Schultz and Smith:

Remember when we were set with Giolito, Kopech, Lopez, Cease, Dunning and Rodon?

Pitching is the most volatile part of this game and after trading Cease and Fedde - the best starting pitchers on the market both times - Getz really doesn't have much in the way of positional prospects to show for it.

I would be interested in every GM's take on Schultz & Smith.  Half of them will say, "glad they are in the AL."

Edited by Falstaff

Of course Crochet is open to an extension. Just not the type of extension JR would be interested in. The other issue is the Sox are going to be beyond bad for a while, and bad for a while after that, if a lot goes right. Their offense is putrid, and not much help on the horizon. Pitchers get hurt. There is really very little to cling to here. Everything is bad.

25 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

I would be interested in every GM's take on Schultz & Smith.  Half of them will say, "glad they are in the AL."

I'm sure 29 of them would say "let's wait until they're actually in the AL."

• Like 1

13 hours ago, supernuke said:

Yeah, F this guy for looking out for his own best interests. 

How long do the Sox have to hold Crochet for there not to be compensation attached to him next offseason when he is a free agent?  

Is it Opening Day?  1/1/25?

Has he even played (well) enough to qualify as a Type A?

Because I'd trade his ass one day before that comp pick would be removed.  That will cost him $$,$$$,$$$.  

Club had his back every step of the way.  Drafted him slightly ahead of mock projections.  Paid him slot.  Straight to the bigs as a 20 year old kid, not some 24 year old super senior.  Did not even remotely look out for the club's best interest regarding service time on two maybe even three occasions where they could have saved a year.  Babied him in '21 and let him work all offseason only to decide he couldn't go in the spring and then he wanted surgery in April which essentially cost the team 2.5 seasons. Borderline fraud from CAA.   Almost as bad as when they demanded Kopech get the call-up despite his velo being down then deciding during warmups of his second start that his arm hurt and he needed surgery.

Then after that stunt Getz allowed Garret to remain a starter despite the entire planet assuming he'd be a reliever in 2024.  Then the guy comes back from an exhibition game (where he pitched) and starts making demands about getting paid or he isn't pitching? 

F him.  F CAA.  This is why clubs screw players over on service time, because you might as well because you get zero and I mean zero credit for not manipulating it.  I want Jerry to be Jerry one last time and stick it to Crochet and then croak.   

• Haha 1

We are not even 3 years removed from a failed rebuild, of which the current GM was a core front office member of and TLR and JR are still running ship, and people want to act like we can bank on a future of Schultz, Smith, Colson, Quero, Baldwin, Sosa, Ramos.

Look, I've been way more active on the Future Sox board than a lot of you for years. It's why I got here. I prospect hug like no other, wrote for Future Sox (though nothing in comparison to @Y2Jimmy0 and co. right now). In 2018, GMs would have killed to get a package of Moncada, Kopech and Benintendi

Remember this? 

10 guys in the top 70. They also had TA, Abreu and Rodon. Absolutely fucking suplexes the current situation if we're going off of projection alone. Except the guy in charge of building depth for that rebuild is now in charge of trades, which have so far been lacking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And if anyone needs a reminder of other future Sox players from that 2017 list:

Benintendi clocked in at #1, Clint Frazier at #24, Brent Honeywell at #31, Blake Rutherford at #37, Erick Fedde at #60 (so, this one worked out after his KBO reinvention), and Michael Soroka at #78,