Crochet open to extension...

Lip Man 1

13 hours ago, Falstaff said:

Crochet, Smith, and Schultz ... dominating 

Crochet is already dominating so we should get him under a long term contract. But Smith and Schultz look good on paper but some scouts say a young player is not a "real prospect" until he is tearing it up in at least AA

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Quin said:

I'm sure 29 of them would say "let's wait until they're actually in the AL."

1 hour ago, Falstaff said:

I would be interested in every GM's take on Schultz & Smith.  Half of them will say, "glad they are in the AL."

Neither of these are exclusive of each other.

11 minutes ago, Quin said:

And if anyone needs a reminder of other future Sox players from that 2017 list:

Benintendi clocked in at #1, Clint Frazier at #24, Brent Honeywell at #31, Blake Rutherford at #37, Erick Fedde at #60 (so, this one worked out after his KBO reinvention), and Michael Soroka at #78, 

All I have to cheer for is either the Sox top prospects or trading for other team's top prospects. Jerry isn't going to spend any money on top free agents.

Said it before, but I'd put together a deal that is 5 years, and significantly front loaded. Payroll is going to be at all time lows in 2025 (and probably 2026) so they have room in the budget. Absolute best case scenario is players develop over the next 24 months, and in 2028-2029 when the Sox have Schultz and Smith up at the ML level, Crochet is still pitching at a high level (he'll still be younger than 30) and at that point he's on the backend of the deal, affordable and still looking for his next big contract. 

• Thanks 1

Well this would of been good to have ahead of this years draft.  We seem to gauge our drafts at times on the 40 man and the MLB roster.  We selected Smith in part to replace Crochet sooner than later in the rotation.  All things being equal a high level bat that might of been drafted say a slot later would of been a better fit if we hang on to Crochet.  Our offense is the largest issue and the only way to fix that in the short term is to unload talent that can get multiple high level players for a cost controlled high level player such as Crochet.  So if we sign him its great for the pitching staff but not so good for the offense.  I have zero faith that we will sign anyone of consequence in free agency.  And really, who of consequence in free agency is signing here for less than overpay and we know Jerry doesnt do that.  So we might be in baseball hell for a few years with a great pitching staff only to waste that time with a horrific offense.  

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Huh?  Crochet is a free agent in 2027.  A 3-year extension now would buy out his last 2 arbitration years (2025 and 2026) and his first year of free agency in 2027.  He would then be a free agent in 2028.  What you are describing would have to be a 5-year extension, which Jerry likely wouldn’t approve for a pitcher.

I was just going by an earlier poster who was a bit confused and had him around just three more years (but extended through arb years) vs. five.

I guess four is probably the only realistic compromise here.  Danks destroyed the five year forever.  Just took a single player, whereas LAD go through handfuls per roster on the pitching side like Glasnow Matsumoto etc.

After Clevinger, maybe Urias is next Sox target (90% joking)…the only way to make up a significant talent deficit is guys like AJ Everett Dye coming out of controversy or injury or worn out welcomes like DAngelo Jimenez or CJ Abrams or even Oscar Colas for another team or acquire on the cheap.

Jim Thome injured and replaced by Howard, etc.  Assuming Alex Rios’ deal…Loiaza Contreras Jenks etc.  Have to think outside the box again.  And that requires spending money Getz probably doesn’t have in all likelihood.  Not at this point in time, and after watching Hahn burn through hundreds of millions on vets and the those lousy early extensions.

14 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

All I have to cheer for is either the Sox top prospects or trading for other team's top prospects. Jerry isn't going to spend any money on top free agents.

The top position players acquired for Cease and Fedde both failed to hit .200

Root for the ace you have.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

Moncada and Eloy were positional prospects.......Keep the ace. 

I understand the sentiment, but then what's the solution to getting a positional player core?

• Develop their own
  • Trade for prospects
  • Sign free agents
  • Wish upon a star
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Snopek said:

I understand the sentiment, but then what's the solution to getting a positional player core?

• Develop their own
  • Trade for prospects
  • Sign free agents
  • Wish upon a star

Neutron purge the front office from TLR to the development coach in the AFL.

12 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Well this would of been good to have ahead of this years draft.  We seem to gauge our drafts at times on the 40 man and the MLB roster.  We selected Smith in part to replace Crochet sooner than later in the rotation.  All things being equal a high level bat that might of been drafted say a slot later would of been a better fit if we hang on to Crochet.  Our offense is the largest issue and the only way to fix that in the short term is to unload talent that can get multiple high level players for a cost controlled high level player such as Crochet.  So if we sign him its great for the pitching staff but not so good for the offense.  I have zero faith that we will sign anyone of consequence in free agency.  And really, who of consequence in free agency is signing here for less than overpay and we know Jerry doesnt do that.  So we might be in baseball hell for a few years with a great pitching staff only to waste that time with a horrific offense.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Major_League_Baseball_draft

5/8 picks already All Stars…Vaughn over Greene is just killing us.  With Riley Greene you can build around Robert and him and have the makings of a great outfield.  And he’s most certainly NOT on Detroit’s roster as well.

Then if we were one pick earlier, Bohm over Madrigal.

Of course it works in reverse, Kolek and Aiken were busts and Rodon was the one to make it too late to generational wealth for his family.

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

Neutron purge the front office from TLR to the development coach in the AFL.

Sign someone from LA’s or SD’s front office who was part of drafting or signing Xavier Edwards, CJ Abrams, Jackson Merrill and acquiring Kim Tatis Cronenworth Profar Machado…Bogaerts the one clear miss so far or underachiever.  Or simply overrated in Boston.  Heck, even Donovan Solano can play everywhere.  

Lad the exact same philosophy with Betts Lux Taylor k*** Gonzalez Vargas (lol).  Guys who can legitimately play 2-3 positions and run/take extra bases like Baltimore does, or the Tigers now.

Anyway, now 9 original SS’s who can play nearly anywhere on the diamond…like Merrill Tatis and Profar converted to the OF now. Throw in James Wood as well on that list.

White Sox haven't had a player like that since Tim Anderson or Alexei Ramirez with that brand of versatility and athleticism.

Fwiw Madrigal Vaughn Sheets Burger all limited tools guys best at non premium positions of C SS 2B CF.

2 hours ago, GREEDY said:

How long do the Sox have to hold Crochet for there not to be compensation attached to him next offseason when he is a free agent?  

Is it Opening Day?  1/1/25?

Has he even played (well) enough to qualify as a Type A?

Because I'd trade his ass one day before that comp pick would be removed.  That will cost him $$,$$$,$$$.  

Club had his back every step of the way.  Drafted him slightly ahead of mock projections.  Paid him slot.  Straight to the bigs as a 20 year old kid, not some 24 year old super senior.  Did not even remotely look out for the club's best interest regarding service time on two maybe even three occasions where they could have saved a year.  Babied him in '21 and let him work all offseason only to decide he couldn't go in the spring and then he wanted surgery in April which essentially cost the team 2.5 seasons. Borderline fraud from CAA.   Almost as bad as when they demanded Kopech get the call-up despite his velo being down then deciding during warmups of his second start that his arm hurt and he needed surgery.

Then after that stunt Getz allowed Garret to remain a starter despite the entire planet assuming he'd be a reliever in 2024.  Then the guy comes back from an exhibition game (where he pitched) and starts making demands about getting paid or he isn't pitching? 

F him.  F CAA.  This is why clubs screw players over on service time, because you might as well because you get zero and I mean zero credit for not manipulating it.  I want Jerry to be Jerry one last time and stick it to Crochet and then croak.   

The only thing Crochet owes the team for all that they supposedly did for him is his best efforts on the field. He finally had a routine that was working for him and that he felt was best for his long term health and success. He felt that a change in that routine would increase the risks of injury which could adversely affect or eliminate his future earning potential. He simply made it clear that he didn't want to do that without some insurance on that earning potential. 

The fact that some people think he should have done something he felt could put his career at risk in order to potentially help a team he wouldn't even be on any longer seems completely ridiculous to me.  

• Love 1

2 hours ago, joejoesox said:

I think someone mentioned this at one point, but it's probably due to him being on a limit most of the season. He (like a lot of pitchers) has worse stats in the first couple innings. Next year when he's getting "normal" starts I think ERA+ will improve a lot.

Crochet.PNG

16 minutes ago, supernuke said:

He felt that a change in that routine would increase the risks of injury which could adversely affect or eliminate his future earning potential. 

Lol.  He's accumulated 5 years of service time and has never ever even remotely fallen into anything even remotely resembling a routine.

He had just pitched in an exhibition game.  

He is textbook example #1 on why clubs should manipulate the hell out of player's service time.  The union didn't fight it last CBA.  All Boras cared about was the total dollar amount.  CAA are scumbags and I hope it costs Crochet big money.  

Edited by GREEDY

23 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

I think someone mentioned this at one point, but it's probably due to him being on a limit most of the season. He (like a lot of pitchers) has worse stats in the first couple innings. Next year when he's getting "normal" starts I think ERA+ will improve a lot.

Crochet.PNG

Yeah I wouldn't read too much into his stats as he spent a good chunk of the season pretty exhausted.

3 hours ago, Snopek said:

• Develop their own
  • Trade for prospects
  • Sign free agents
  • Wish upon a star

Beautifully succinct summation of just how fucked this org is, and how hopeless the near future feels.

34 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Lol.  He's accumulated 5 years of service time and has never ever even remotely fallen into anything even remotely resembling a routine.

He had just pitched in an exhibition game.  

He is textbook example #1 on why clubs should manipulate the hell out of player's service time.  The union didn't fight it last CBA.  All Boras cared about was the total dollar amount.  CAA are scumbags and I hope it costs Crochet big money.  

He pitched the entire 21 season out of the bullpen and ended up hurt. Missed 22. Back to the pen in 23 and gets hurt. He needed something to change and that change was working. He would be foolish to not try and protect that. He is betting on himself to stay healthy for 2 more years so he can get paid.

But maybe you're right and he should have said screw my career, some White Sox fans really want a couple of new prospects. 

• Like 1