Crochet open to extension...

Lip Man 1

1 hour ago, waltwilliams said:

Garrett told Merkin that he didn't appreciate the fans cheering on the Angels and cheering for the Sox to lose at home this week.

Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 12.52.58 PM.png

I mean, yeah. Chant "sell the team" and all of that until the cows come home. But actively rooting against the players having a walk off was pretty stupid. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

I mean, yeah. Chant "sell the team" and all of that until the cows come home. But actively rooting against the players having a walk off was pretty stupid. 

Yeah, I get the frustration with management, but that was kind of embarrassing.  A low point for us as a fanbase, to be honest

3 hours ago, waltwilliams said:

Yeah, I get the frustration with management, but that was kind of embarrassing.  A low point for us as a fanbase, to be honest

Yeah. Because if nothing else, the worst team in MLB history deserves our respect....

GTFO with this. If you don't want fans rooting against you perhaps don't be in a position to set the loss record?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Do these interests, limitations whatever we call it convert to wins is the question.

For the ball club.

Look at that UNLV nil case with their starting QB...had outside shot at #12 spot in playoff.  Didn't matter when he had another year of eligibility somewhere to get paid.

22 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Would have been a smart way to get out of here.

According to his recent presser he wasn't all that keen on getting out of here. He likes the plan that Getz and Bannister put him on. There was no guarantee that if traded the new team would let him continue on that plan.

That's what prompted him to do what he did. I fail to comprehend why anyone holds that against him. There were still offers for him. The Phillies wouldn't give up Painter, The Dodgers wouldn't give up Rushing and ATL was interested too. Sox got low balled as expected because of questions surrounding his IP this season and how much help he could really be the rest of the season .

When you won't give up position players except catchers, pitchers and 1st basemen why trade him ?

So far I think keeping him has made him more valuable.

He dominated the Padres because he threw a sinker for the 1st time all season because he finally got comfortable with a grip.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah I wouldn't read too much into his stats as he spent a good chunk of the season pretty exhausted.

I wouldn't say pretty exhausted but he's going 4 innings max for a reason and it's because how far above the amount of innings he's ever thrown in his life this year.

It's his first year as a SP too. He's still learning and developing . He could be even better if he's mastering a sinker now. Thatll cut down on HRs allowed and likely lead to using the cutter less. The sinker will be at 97 MPH and highly effective judging by the Padres game and his effectiveness against the Tigers today. I'll have to see his pitch usage charts and look at the amount of sinkers and cutters thrown. Still hard to get a real read on it though with the pitch limits but it's trending that way his last couple starts once he got a grip he felt comfortable with so he could start throwing in more in games.

5 hours ago, PaleAleSox said:

I don't think this actually happened. I don't think anyone (at any scale where it would be noticed on the field) was actively rooting for the team to lose. I think the media made this up in an attempt to paint every Sox fan as a drunk, unhappy and belligerent. Personally I take offense.

The more I think about it, the more I think we have to lock Crochet up. 

1. He's a beast with insane peripherals and has already had TJ.
  2. We'll never get fair value in the trade market. The trade market is dead.
  3. He wants to be here.
  4. It does wonders for optics and helps the Sox identity. 

If there's one thing the franchise does really well, it's developing pitching, and Crochet is a monumental success. Pay the guy, promote it and let's use it to our advantage. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

The more I think about it, the more I think we have to lock Crochet up. 

1. He's a beast with insane peripherals and has already had TJ.
  2. We'll never get fair value in the trade market. The trade market is dead.
  3. He wants to be here.
  4. It does wonders for optics and helps the Sox identity. 

If there's one thing the franchise does really well, it's developing pitching, and Crochet is a monumental success. Pay the guy, promote it and let's use it to our advantage. 

You are probably right, with supporting reasons to back it up.  But Jerry…

“I like the pieces that we have. I like the relationships I’ve developed with this [pitching] staff,” Crochet said. “I’ve got a lot of trust in [general manager Chris] Getz, and I think so does everybody in our clubhouse. It’s now just a matter of letting our young guys develop and continue to get reps. You can kind of see everything coming together throughout the year as guys started to come up.”

Scott Merkin mlb.com

29 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

“I like the pieces that we have. I like the relationships I’ve developed with this [pitching] staff,” Crochet said. “I’ve got a lot of trust in [general manager Chris] Getz, and I think so does everybody in our clubhouse. It’s now just a matter of letting our young guys develop and continue to get reps. You can kind of see everything coming together throughout the year as guys started to come up.”

Scott Merkin mlb.com

Translation:

don-cheadle-pay-me-my-money.gif

• Like 1

I’m not sure how we ever build a capable major league offense without trading Crochet.  The only potential impact bats in the system are Montgomery & Wolkow and the former is starting to look more like an above average regular than a star and the latter has a ton of development ahead of him in an org that hasn’t been able to develop bats.  If you wait for the draft to solve those needs, it could take four or five years.  Unfortunately, you pretty much have to trade Crochet if you can land a couple of positional prospects with high ceilings.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If he stays healthy for 2 years he might make 3x that.

I'm not disputing he wouldn't, but he's still young, he hasn't really made any "real" money by MLB standards and he'd have a chance to lock in a 100M guaranteed and still have a chance at a big deal down the line. If he thinks he's worth 300M and nothing less will do he should absolutely wait till free agency. If he wants to be setup for generations there's probably an offer on the table he can take and feel good about now. 

On 9/27/2024 at 8:54 AM, SCCWS said:

Crochet is already dominating so we should get him under a long term contract. But Smith and Schultz look good on paper but some scouts say a young player is not a "real prospect" until he is tearing it up in at least AA

Schultz is the #1 LHP prospect in the game. 

He destroyed AA this year after being called up. 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly

14 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Yeah. Because if nothing else, the worst team in MLB history deserves our respect....

GTFO with this. If you don't want fans rooting against you perhaps don't be in a position to set the loss record?

Most of the players aren’t major leaguers and should never have been put in this situation. They were set up to fail.

19 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

According to his recent presser he wasn't all that keen on getting out of here. He likes the plan that Getz and Bannister put him on. There was no guarantee that if traded the new team would let him continue on that plan.

That's what prompted him to do what he did. I fail to comprehend why anyone holds that against him. There were still offers for him. The Phillies wouldn't give up Painter, The Dodgers wouldn't give up Rushing and ATL was interested too. Sox got low balled as expected because of questions surrounding his IP this season and how much help he could really be the rest of the season .

When you won't give up position players except catchers, pitchers and 1st basemen why trade him ?

So far I think keeping him has made him more valuable.

He dominated the Padres because he threw a sinker for the 1st time all season because he finally got comfortable with a grip.

The Crochet trade was way overhyped.  That was necessary in a sport that is diminishing in popularity.

Fedde was your more valuable trade piece short term. 

Package deals with multiple teams are a sign of a clueless gm to pawn off someone like Kopech.

So you end up with Vargas who has made the team worse.

Prospect/farm ranking, and hauls are a myth for this organization. I repeat THIS ORGANIZATION.  Don't bring up the Orioles, the 1/30 of success.