Crochet open to extension...

Lip Man 1

20 hours ago, fathom said:

I couldn’t be more certain that Crochet will never throw another pitch for the White Sox

They need to get out from Benintendi's albatross contract of checks notes $47.5 million.

Considering where their payroll will be next year, it's laughable that that amount is considered an albatross, especially after his (I can't believe I'm saying this) second half.

12 minutes ago, Quin said:

They need to get out from Benintendi's albatross contract of checks notes $47.5 million.

Considering where their payroll will be next year, it's laughable that that amount is considered an albatross, especially after his (I can't believe I'm saying this) second half.

It's a joke for a franchise with essentially no payroll obligations going forward.  We act like we are the Oakland As, except without scouting, player development, or savvy trades.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's a joke for a franchise with essentially no payroll obligations going forward.  We act like we are the Oakland As, except without scouting, player development, or savvy trades.

It's a next level poverty franchise move and any GM that can't convince their owner how asinine it is to attach Benintendi's mid-sized contract to Crochet is not worth their salt.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Quin said:

It's a next level poverty franchise move and any GM that can't convince their owner how asinine it is to attach Benintendi's mid-sized contract to Crochet is not worth their salt.

If a person believed that Getz was so inept that he would trade Crochet for one less Miguel Vargas than everyone thought they'd get, then maybe packaging a cooked Benintendi wouldn't be the worst idea on Earth.

But Benintendi has shown signs of life in the final third, and it would be ludicrous to gift two years of a front-of-the-staff ace to take three years of appropriately paid production off of our hands. (Maybe 1.5 seasons of renaissance Benny, 3/4 season of bearable, platoon DH, and another 3/4 season of ass.) 

28 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

If a person believed that Getz was so inept that he would trade Crochet for one less Miguel Vargas than everyone thought they'd get, then maybe packaging a cooked Benintendi wouldn't be the worst idea on Earth.

But Benintendi has shown signs of life in the final third, and it would be ludicrous to gift two years of a front-of-the-staff ace to take three years of appropriately paid production off of our hands. (Maybe 1.5 seasons of renaissance Benny, 3/4 season of bearable, platoon DH, and another 3/4 season of ass.) 

Agreed.  Benintendi’s second half should be enough to keep him around to see if he can continue his comeback into next season.  If Benintendi is attached to a Crochet trade, that will just be proof that Jerry wanted to dump his contract, trade return be damned.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Seems like over 95% of players claim they want an extension (who doesn’t want guaranteed money?) while under control. Doesn’t mean it’s likely. Gotta match his price.

Pretty much everyone states this because it is good for business.  Don't offend anyone.  We would know everything by knowing what kind of ask he has made.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2024 at 7:03 PM, joejoesox said:

theres no way the Sox extend him, even with a below market deal.

Being a White Sox fan is misery. The White Sox ... where the team's best players get traded to fuel tank jobs/rebuild jobs. What a joke. It used to be the Sox had as many as five studs or more at a time on their team Now? It's laughable. Sosa and Ramos and Fletcher and Kory, get ready for 550 to 600 at bats in 2025. LOL.

Edited by greg775

On 9/30/2024 at 10:40 AM, Quin said:

Here's my crazy idea of the day... Seeing the Diamondbacks meltdown over Jordan Montgomery, see if they are interested in a bad contract swap.  Call it a crazy hunch, but a few things here.

#1, he signed March 29th.  Especially for pitchers, late signings seem to have big problems the same season.  That spring training seems important

#2, looks like he has a $22.5 million option which would have exercised and only one year of cost.  While he costs more than Benny in year 1, the contract is over after 2025.

#3 Benny's contract is apparently too much for the Chicago A's to stomach, so this gets them out of the last two years while saving a good chunk of change.

No idea if AZ would be interested, but after hearing their own blow up Monty in the press today, he can't go back there.,

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Here's my crazy idea of the day... Seeing the Diamondbacks meltdown over Jordan Montgomery, see if they are interested in a bad contract swap.  Call it a crazy hunch, but a few things here.

#1, he signed March 29th.  Especially for pitchers, late signings seem to have big problems the same season.  That spring training seems important

#2, looks like he has a $22.5 million option which would have exercised and only one year of cost.  While he costs more than Benny in year 1, the contract is over after 2025.

#3 Benny's contract is apparently too much for the Chicago A's to stomach, so this gets them out of the last two years while saving a good chunk of change.

No idea if AZ would be interested, but after hearing their own blow up Monty in the press today, he can't go back there.,

It's worth a shot, thanks to their idiot owner. Not sure if they'd have any use for Benintendi, though.

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sure, why not. And if he returns to his 2021-2023 form in the first half, that's a much better trade chip than Benny would be.

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I'm in

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I’m in.

Also of note - the DBacks owner fully and publicly acknowledges that he was responsible for the Montgomery signing, over the objections of the FO.

The obvious “throw the player under the bus” thing aside, can you imagine Jerry admitting that hiring TLR was his idea and that it was a mistake? Can you imagine Jerry admitting that hiring Getz was a mistake?

3 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I’m in.

Also of note - the DBacks owner fully and publicly acknowledges that he was responsible for the Montgomery signing, over the objections of the FO.

The obvious “throw the player under the bus” thing aside, can you imagine Jerry admitting that hiring TLR was his idea and that it was a mistake? Can you imagine Jerry admitting that hiring Getz was a mistake?

I will also note that he took responsibility in a LIVE INTERVIEW, not a press release.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So you think the Sox are going to get fair offers of high end position prospects that aren't 1st basemen or catchers ? Or will they settle for less ?

Option C.  Getz will acquire a player he thinks is great and an immediate starter but the shine on the player will be long worn already.

Think 5.6 WAR Fedde and 1.3 WAR Kopech for -0.8 WAR Vargas.

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

This would likely be the last straw from a fan perspective.  Even the last few remaining Getz supporters would tar and feather the guy if he does this.

A 121 loss season with multiple bad trades and signing a domestic abuser wasn’t the last straw, but this bad trade is the last straw? Naw.