Crochet open to extension...

Lip Man 1

21 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Athletes have egos.  I’m sure he thinks he is easily worth twice that amount.

It'd be stupid in your 1st year as a starting pitcher with a history of arm problems knowing that you might have
performance issues along the way not to take a fair offer.

Your ego cannot outweigh your brain. He's still got 2 full years to prove he can avoid injury and pitch at a high level in order to make any money beyond what he'll get in Arb 2 and 3.

Did any of the core prospects live up to their extensions ?

Id offer 5/75 and offer some opt outs for 2027 and 2028 after he passes his arb. years. If he gets hurt or sucks he still makes $75M but he'll get the chance to level up and opt out every year except the next 2 which the Sox would have him for anyway and they can trade him at any time after he signs the extension on case he becomes  a monster .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

20 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If he stays healthy for 2 years he might make 3x that.

Kinda left something out .You can stay healthy and still pitch bad. He has to perform at a level that commands 3X $100M too

HUGE if.

If the Sox had waited another year before giving extensions to Moncada and Eloy things might be different. In what way I have no idea .

37 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It'd be stupid in your 1st year as a starting pitcher with a history of arm problems knowing that you might have

Your ego cannot outweigh your brain. He's still got 2 full years to prove he can avoid injury and pitch at a high level in order to make any money beyond what he'll get in Arb 2 and 3.

Id offer 5/75 and offer some opt outs for 2027 and 2028 after he passes his arb. years. If he gets hurt or sucks he still makes $75M but he'll get the chance to level up and opt out every year except the next 2 which the Sox would have him for anyway and they can trade him at any time after he signs the extension on case he becomes  a monster .

theres no way the Sox extend him, even with a below market deal.  they're shedding as much payroll as possible, G-Rate is gonna be a ghost town next year. sub 10k per game if they start out losing like they did the last two seasons

46 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Jerry would probably be fine offering 5/$75 but I bet Crochet won’t accept that.

59 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

theres no way the Sox extend him, even with a below market deal.  they're shedding as much payroll as possible, G-Rate is gonna be a ghost town next year. sub 10k per game if they start out losing like they did the last two seasons

While I agree that the chances are very slim he gets extended most of the payroll has already been slashed except for Robert and Benintendi.

Everyone else is going to be maybe  $5M max depending on decisions on who let go of and who they sign.

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Jerry would probably be fine offering 5/$75 but I bet Crochet won’t accept that.

Big idk on JR or Crochet accepting that. Seems fair for both sides with the opt outs.

Too early to give him  $100M with his injury history and lack of SP innings. What's the most he can make in 2025 and 2026 without the extension ? $10-15M combined for both years ? I know nothing about biggest Arb 2 amounts given but start with 2025 .What's he going to get in Arb 2  as a raise from the 800K he made this year ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not sure how we ever build a capable major league offense without trading Crochet.  The only potential impact bats in the system are Montgomery & Wolkow and the former is starting to look more like an above average regular than a star and the latter has a ton of development ahead of him in an org that hasn’t been able to develop bats.  If you wait for the draft to solve those needs, it could take four or five years.  Unfortunately, you pretty much have to trade Crochet if you can land a couple of positional prospects with high ceilings.

I agree with this. The only problem is that it seems teams are too hesitant to give up positional prospects now. They might be better off trying to build a top 5 rotation. I’m not sure where the offense would come from, but it might be the best chance at competing. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Kinda left something out .You can stay healthy and still pitch bad. He has to perform at a level that commands 3X $100M too

HUGE if.

If the Sox had waited another year before giving extensions to Moncada and Eloy things might be different. In what way I have no idea .

On the low end he has the 5/150 of Tyler Glasnow to go off of as an injury prone pitcher who is hurt for about half of the year most seasons.

51 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

On the low end he has the 5/150 of Tyler Glasnow to go off of as an injury prone pitcher who is hurt for about half of the year most seasons.

Did Glasnow get that on an extension when he was Arb 2 after his 1st year as a starting pitcher ?

No he was a free agent with a track record of quality starting when healthy . Crochet has 2 years before he gets at shot at life changing money or he can take an extention for less but still guaranteed in case those 2 years arent what he hoped for with health and performance .

That extension probaly not forthcoming from JR. But if he's on the open market this offseasn Getz has to get better offers than he got at the trade deadline  in a market where position player prospect hugging has become the norm. I'm going to say he wont be traded during the offseason .

Hoping Phillies, Dodgers, Yankees and Orioles all get bounced from the playoffs and some wild card wins the World Series.

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Did Glasnow get that on an extension when he was Arb 2 after his 1st year as a starting pitcher ?

No he was a free agent with a track record of quality starting when healthy . Crochet has 2 years before he gets at shot at life changing money or he can take an extention for less but still guaranteed in case those 2 years arent what he hoped for with health and performance .

That extension probaly not forthcoming from JR. But if he's on the open market this offseasn Getz has to get better offers than he got at the trade deadline  in a market where position player prospect hugging has become the norm. I'm going to say he wont be traded during the offseason .

Hoping Phillies, Dodgers, Yankees and Orioles all get bounced from the playoffs and some wild card wins the World Series.

No, Glasnow was not a free agent.

22 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Glasnow was not a free agent.  He was traded to the Dodgers one year later in his deal than Garrett is now.

They need to trade him.  It has nothing to do with cheapness and all of that.

They need young hitters.
Now if Getz really needs to step up with the trade execution.  if necessary, deal with the 2nd and 3rd rate GMs (he was no match for the first-rate guys, although Anthropoulos was at least honest with him and didn't try to take advantage).

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

They need young hitters.
Now if Getz really needs to step up with the trade execution.  if necessary, deal with the 2nd and 3rd rate GMs (he was no match for the first-rate guys, although Anthropoulos was at least honest with him and didn't try to take advantage).

I don't think any other team will give up young hitters. Those are being hoarded like Scrooge McDuck's money.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Glasnow was not a free agent.  He was traded to the Dodgers one year later in his deal than Garrett is now.

Youre right but regardless are you saying Crochet should or could get a 5 yr. 136.5M extension now because Glasnow did at completely different points in their careers Clarify your stance.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Youre right but regardless are you saying Crochet should or could get a 5 yr. 136.5M extension now because Glasnow did at completely different points in their careers Clarify your stance.

Completely different?  Uh no.  One year.  The last four years are perfect comps.

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

They need young hitters.

It seems pretty obvious young hitters aren't available in the trade market. The only we get better over the next few years is to have a collection 2-4 WAR players. It's not going to be through stars.

One rumor out there is the Phillies want Crochet. Sox seem to like Andrew Painter as the lead guy. Would this board go crazy if the Sox trade Crochet and not get back a big bat? I'd be mad, but better a really good pitcher than another Vargas.

3 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

One rumor out there is the Phillies want Crochet. Sox seem to like Andrew Painter as the lead guy. Would this board go crazy if the Sox trade Crochet and not get back a big bat? I'd be mad, but better a really good pitcher than another Vargas.

I would rather get a star pitcher vs a collapsed prospect again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

After seeing the results of Fletcher and Vargas, I doubt anyone wants to see Getz attempt to trade another pitcher for bats again.

• Paper Bag 1

4 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

It seems pretty obvious young hitters aren't available in the trade market. The only we get better over the next few years is to have a collection 2-4 WAR players. It's not going to be through stars.

Well, 2-4 war hitters  are the bread and butter of most of the playoff teams.  Right now we don’t have any, so get a few of those.  . And by young hitters, I mean close to the majors prospects. 
And if that’s the way, the market is, stop drafting pitchers in the early rounds.

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Well, 2-4 war hitters  are the bread and butter of most of the playoff teams.  Right now we don’t have any, so get a few of those.  . And by young hitters, I mean close to the majors prospects. 
And if that’s the way, the market is, stop drafting pitchers in the early rounds.

We're going to need some luck and it involves, Ramos, Sosa, Montgomery, Quero,  Elko, Fletcher, Baldwin, Perez, Zavala, Albertus, Gonzalez. At some point, the law of average has to start breaking our way. Yes, I'm mostly relying on hope and luck. Thank God I'm not the GM.

I still think Montgomery can be a 5-6 WAR player. His patient approach and his smooth, natural swing is unteachable and effortless. Other than him, our only true superstar level prospect is Wilkow. Wilkow has the frame and swing of a next level talent, but he's so far away that he should be worried about homecoming more than becoming a star baseball player. I also think Bonemer has elite, game changing talent, but he's years away.,

I would prefer to be hopeful and supportive rather than just shitting all over these kids who don't deserve it 

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

We're going to need some luck and it involves, Ramos, Sosa, Montgomery, Quero,  Elko, Fletcher, Baldwin, Perez, Zavala, Albertus, Gonzalez. At some point, the law of average has to start breaking our way. Yes, I'm mostly relying on hope and luck. Thank God I'm not the GM.

I still think Montgomery can be a 5-6 WAR player. His patient approach and his smooth, natural swing is unteachable and effortless. Other than him, our only true superstar level prospect is Wilkow. Wilkow has the frame and swing of a next level talent, but he's so far away that he should be worried about homecoming more than becoming a star baseball player. I also think Bonemer has elite, game changing talent, but he's years away.,

I would prefer to be hopeful and supportive rather than just shitting all over these kids who don't deserve it 

The law of averages only works if your independent variables are also average.  Expected outputs drops with subaverage variables.  The Sox showed this year the math still works fine.