The Mystery of Luis Robert

2Deep

I need to better understand the fall off for Luis Robert.  For those that know this organization and may have some in's with the team, what is the reason for Luis's abysmal season at the plate......

1. Lack of caring

2. He's still hurt and battling injury

3. He's just not as good as we think

4. The organization fucked him up

5. Something else

6. all of the above

1, 3, 4.

He was never going to be an OBP dude and I feel like Thames fucking with his approach really hurt him.  You can listen to him during interviews saying he's thinking about the strike zone too much. 

yeah the league adjusted to him, that's gonna happen, but trying to get him to take more walks is fucking stupid.  if you want a power/OBP guy, you don't get them from Latin America

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

1, 3, 4.

He was never going to be an OBP dude and I feel like Thames fucking with his approach really hurt him.  You can listen to him during interviews saying he's thinking about the strike zone too much. 

yeah the league adjusted to him, that's gonna happen, but trying to get him to take more walks is fucking stupid.  if you want a power/OBP guy, you don't get them from Latin America

Whatever approach they are asking him to use OR he is using has zapped all of his power

18 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Whatever approach they are asking him to use OR he is using has zapped all of his power

I remember at the beginning of the year, Robert was giving the hitting exercises the team had him go through. I can’t remember if it was look at a quadrant or what, but The Big Hurt was in the studio and said that approach was wrong.

37 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I need to better understand the fall off for Luis Robert.  For those that know this organization and may have some in's with the team, what is the reason for Luis's abysmal season at the plate......

1. Lack of caring

2. He's still hurt and battling injury

3. He's just not as good as we think

4. The organization fucked him up

5. Something else

6. all of the above

6, but I’m also going with another reason, I think Moncada was a bad influence on him.

5 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

The White Sox broke him. They have absolutely no idea how to coach hitting, and it shows up and down the lineups, throughout the organization. He will go elsewhere, and be a perennial all-star.

This. 

I absolutely think there is an element to him not giving 100% this year and being checked out in far too many PA's, but based on everything we know about the internals with the Sox, he simply hasn't been developed and coached properly, which plays a huge role in this. 

Baseball has always been in a chess match between pitchers and hitters. Scouting reports evolve, pitchers change their approach to certain hitters, and the hitters then need to adjust, and round and round it goes. That requires a dedicated staff to help players make those adjustments, and I don't believe that's happening at a respectable level. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To elaborate: Moncada was gone from the team for basically the entire year. So the implication is that Moncada was corrupting Luis from afar after he had his breakout season.

Sox fans are going to need to get a new punching bag after this year. There have been multiple exposes in the past few weeks about how this is an abysmal organization that doesn't prepare their players at all and does f*** all to help them develop.

But no, it's Yoan Moncada's faultI'm sure he was also holding Reynaldo Lopez back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joejoesox said:

1, 3, 4.

Jose Bautista?  Ortiz?  Manny Ramirez?  Machado?  Miguel Cabrera?

Too much of a generalization.

if you listed the 10-15 most dynamic game changing players in the sport today, Julio Rodriguez, Acuna, Elly de la Cruz, Tatis, ONeil Cruz, Jose Ramirez, Lindor would all have to be considered.   Just off the top of my head.  Get 2-3 together on your team and run with it.  Maybe even Ketel Marte.

unfortunately Moncada and Robert simply didn’t gel together and Eloy was never going to be that fast twitch athlete with 30-30 potential

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

His swing is so broken.  There is no extension to the ball.  His lack of power since the ASB is astonishing.

Someone will eventually fix him and he’ll get his own thread.

He’s only one year off a great healthy season.

He’s also gotta go from the Bears/Sox to baseball version of Tomlin like Fields, lol.   To go from that year to injury frustration and retirement talk in just one season is worse than the downfall of Tim Anderson from top hitter in the AL to out of the game entirely.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Quin said:

To elaborate: Moncada was gone from the team for basically the entire year. So the implication is that Moncada was corrupting Luis from afar after he had his breakout season.

Sox fans are going to need to get a new punching bag after this year. There have been multiple exposes in the past few weeks about how this is an abysmal organization that doesn't prepare their players at all and does f*** all to help them develop.

But no, it's Yoan Moncada's faultI'm sure he was also holding Reynaldo Lopez back.

It has been fun to watch the wheel of blame spin these last two seasons, yet never arrive at the right place.  Remember when Yas Grandal was the problem?

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Tony said:

This. 

I absolutely think there is an element to him not giving 100% this year and being checked out in far too many PA's, but based on everything we know about the internals with the Sox, he simply hasn't been developed and coached properly, which plays a huge role in this. 

Baseball has always been in a chess match between pitchers and hitters. Scouting reports evolve, pitchers change their approach to certain hitters, and the hitters then need to adjust, and round and round it goes. That requires a dedicated staff to help players make those adjustments, and I don't believe that's happening at a respectable level. 

I am beginning to wonder if the amount of leg injuries, and then playing on them, has actually nuked guys like Robert, TA, and Eloy.

• Like 3

I'm not sure why threads like this even exist at this point, truth be told. With all the dirt that has come out this season about how absolutely incompetent this organization is at pretty much.... everything. This becomes a rhetorical question.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am beginning to wonder if the amount of leg injuries, and then playing on them, has actually nuked guys like Robert, TA, and Eloy.

It's not like the human body can't recover from these injuries. Well, with the White Sox, I'm not sure guys EVER recover. But I think you get the point.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

2 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I'm not sure why threads like this even exist at this point, truth be told. With all the dirt that has come out this season about how absolutely incompetent this organization is at pretty much.... everything. This becomes a rhetorical question.

It's not like the human body can't recover from these injuries. Well, with the White Sox, I'm not sure guys EVER recover. But I think you get the point.

Lots of injuries you might "recover" but never been 100% again.  Repeat the injuries in the same places, and it is worse.  Never let them fully heel, and repeat the injury and I can't imagine the damage you are doing longer term.

33 minutes ago, Quin said:

This is such a stupid reason. I love it.

Whatever but I’m not changing what I think, I’ve never been a fan of Moncada, I see so much of Moncada in Robert with a lackadaisical attitude especially after another strikeout or a horrible at bat. 

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I'm convinced some posters have never had sports injuries, let along leg or back injuries.

As much as I want to blame the Sox for everything, I’m not sure how plate discipline and pitch recognition is on the coaches after a certain point. Robert’s lack of on base ability is actually pretty impressive. Take out his great, yet short, stretch in 2021 and Robert’s career OBP is like .305 in 1600+ PA’s…just can’t have sustained success like that and eventually it’s on him to figure it out. 

But of course I do think the Sox are to blame for some of his troubles, I just don’t like taking away accountability from a professional not doing their job

10 minutes ago, Quin said:

I'm convinced some posters have never had sports injuries, let along leg or back injuries.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Soft tissue injuries never really go away.

I've been playing hockey for almost 40 years. I know all about sports injuries and soft tissue injuries. Those injuries absolutely do go away with the proper rest, treatment, and physical therapy. There are very few injuries in this day and age (back injuries are one) that you can't 100% recover from.

But that's the issue, isn't it? It's been made readily apparent that this organization employs absolute hacks in that department. When you have players going OUTSIDE your professional baseball team's trainers and doctors to recover from injuries because they aren't progressing like they should... well.... There's really nothing more to say.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

2 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

As much as I want to blame the Sox for everything, I’m not sure how plate discipline and pitch recognition is on the coaches after a certain point. Robert’s lack of on base ability is actually pretty impressive. Take out his great, yet short, stretch in 2021 and Robert’s career OBP is like .305 in 1600+ PA’s…just can’t have sustained success like that and eventually it’s on him to figure it out. 

But of course I do think the Sox are to blame for some of his troubles, I just don’t like taking away accountability from a professional not doing their job

It is a combination of both of these things most likely. Sox have some blame. Louis Robert has some blame. 

Let's hope the dude has a focused offseason and comes back feeling 100% and ready to rock in spring training. 

6 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I've been playing hockey for almost 40 years. I know all about sports injuries and soft tissue injuries. Those injuries absolutely do go away with the proper rest, treatment, and physical therapy. There are very few injuries in this day and age (back injuries are one) that you can't 100% recover from.

But that's the issue, isn't it? It's been made readily apparent that this organization employs absolute hacks in that department. When you have players going OUTSIDE your professional baseball team's trainers and doctors to recover from injuries because they aren't progressing like they should... well.... There's really nothing more to say.

And as we keep rushing players back from injury, we aren't seeming to actually give them proper rest and treatment, as these injuries keep happening.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And as we keep rushing players back from injury, we aren't seeming to actually give them proper rest and treatment, as these injuries keep happening.

100%. And the big thing about playing before an injury is fully recovered? You and your body compensate for that injury, and you typically end up injuring something else as a result.

Also, a big part of the recovery after a soft tissue injury is adjusting your training and stretching routine. If you injure something and then go right back to training the same way you are....you're going to get hurt again. Every body is different, as well. What might work for one athlete might be detrimental to another. So it's important to have staff that tailors everything to the individual athlete.

Not having a top of the line medical and training staff is really, really bad.