The Mystery of Luis Robert

2Deep

45 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And as we keep rushing players back from injury, we aren't seeming to actually give them proper rest and treatment, as these injuries keep happening.

So lower body soft tissue injuries are preventing him from making contact with a baseball?…For the majority of his career? 

Also, he’s a grown man and a professional athlete. Does he not take any responsibility for keeping his body ready to perform? There’s plenty of other guys in the organization that haven’t had the injuries he’s had. More or less just Robert, TA and Yoan that have had constant soft tissue injuries…and that’s not great company 

Noone can hit swinging at every pitch thrown to him. The other teams know this too. They start him out down and away and

he swings anyway. He's lost his memory of what made him good. Is it the Sox's fault? They're both to blame. Benching him

or telling him to take the first pitch for each at bat for a week might help.

1 hour ago, Paulie4Pres said:

100%. And the big thing about playing before an injury is fully recovered? You and your body compensate for that injury, and you typically end up injuring something else as a result.

Also, a big part of the recovery after a soft tissue injury is adjusting your training and stretching routine. If you injure something and then go right back to training the same way you are....you're going to get hurt again. Every body is different, as well. What might work for one athlete might be detrimental to another. So it's important to have staff that tailors everything to the individual athlete.

Not having a top of the line medical and training staff is really, really bad.

And it's not like the Sox exist in a vacuum. The Bulls are right there to highlight Reinsdorf's lack of investment.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

So lower body soft tissue injuries are preventing him from making contact with a baseball?…For the majority of his career? 

Also, he’s a grown man and a professional athlete. Does he not take any responsibility for keeping his body ready to perform? There’s plenty of other guys in the organization that haven’t had the injuries he’s had. More or less just Robert, TA and Yoan that have had constant soft tissue injuries…and that’s not great company 

You can see pretty much everything dropping in his advanced stats.  His line drive percentage is down.  His hard hit percentage is down.  His top EV is down.  His expected BA is down.  His expected SLG is down. His hard contact rates are down, while his soft contact rates are down.  He is generating a lot less power this year when he makes contact.

This is all with his line drive percentage up this year.

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You can see pretty much everything dropping in his advanced stats.  His line drive percentage is down.  His hard hit percentage is down.  His top EV is down.  His expected BA is down.  His expected SLG is down. His hard contact rates are down, while his soft contact rates are down.  He is generating a lot less power this year when he makes contact.

This is all with his line drive percentage up this year.

Sure because his swing is so bad. Him and Vargas have two of the least impactful swings from non-slap hitters I’ve seen all year

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sure because his swing is so bad. Him and Vargas have two of the least impactful swings from non-slap hitters I’ve seen all year

And why is his swing so bad? Because this is a guy who had one of the best swings in baseball not that long ago.

• Like 1

I was trying to find some objective evidence that would prove the Sox rush guys back more than other teams and can't really find it. 

What team holds guys back longer from similar injuries? 

33 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I was trying to find some objective evidence that would prove the Sox rush guys back more than other teams and can't really find it. 

What team holds guys back longer from similar injuries? 

I mean, we just had an article where a White Sox player left the team to rehab a soft tissue injury because it wasn't progressing under their care.

We had Luis Robert Jr. swinging with one fucking arm.

We had players clearly dogging it to first base under TLR because they were not healthy.

This team is a fucking dumpster fire.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zisk said:

Noone can hit swinging at every pitch thrown to him. The other teams know this too. They start him out down and away and

he swings anyway. He's lost his memory of what made him good. Is it the Sox's fault? They're both to blame. Benching him

or telling him to take the first pitch for each at bat for a week might help.

He's always been aggressive 

This post makes zero sense on why he is struggling 

40 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I mean, we just had an article where a White Sox player left the team to rehab a soft tissue injury because it wasn't progressing under their care.

We had players clearly dogging it to first base under TLR because they were not healthy.

It is. 

I see players in other teams getting injured, and reinjured. I'm wondering how much worse the Sox are compared to the other teams. If we look at days on IR it should be less because we rush guys back. 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/injured/_/year/2024/view/team

The Sox are tenth in total days missed. 

Ironically it seems that KC has the best and Texas the worst. 

14 minutes ago, Texsox said:

It is. 

I see players in other teams getting injured, and reinjured. I'm wondering how much worse the Sox are compared to the other teams. If we look at days on IR it should be less because we rush guys back. 

Not sure how to quantify it, really, but your method is flawed. A team that rushes players back is going to have players injured more often, regardless of whether those players come back several games sooner than they should. 

2 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Not sure how to quantify it, really, but your method is flawed. A team that rushes players back is going to have players injured more often, regardless of whether those players come back several games sooner than they should. 

Not my system, just one list I found. I'm a data and stat person. It seems like there should be good analytics on something this important. The ranking is flawed because payroll is used to determine a value of injuries. We're trying to quantify approach to injuries. 

12 teams had more players injured. Only five teams lost more days total, which is evidence that they are out more days per injury. 

So the theory is if they were out more initially the over all total would be less. I'm trying to see if there is some way to calculate which teams are doing it better. 

2 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

They weren’t even “dogging it.”  At one point 5 players in the starting lineup were told to “take it easy” while running the bases.  That’s asinine in a professional athletic organization.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 2Deep said:

He's always been aggressive 

This post makes zero sense on why he is struggling 

Makes sense to me. If pitchers can count on a batter swinging at sliders a foot off the plate, the batter is going to have a tough time

From the last thread on this topic:

On 8/7/2024 at 8:49 PM, Balta1701 said:

Luis Robert is the perfect distillation of the laziness of the White Sox’s staff.

Any other, professional organization with a guy coming up with his talent level, they would work with him on good habits like preparing for games and using information to be better. 

The White Sox firmly believe that this is too much work. This is where the lack of staff employed by the team matters. While he’s coming up, he isn’t coached, and when he’s healthy he has success based solely on his athletic gifts. 

When he gets to the big leagues, he doesn’t know the coaches names because he doesn’t want coaching and doesn’t believe in it. This has been said publicly, he doesn’t want scouting reports he just wants to do his thing, and no one in the White Sox organization was willing to correct it. Now, it has become a bad habit that he doesn’t think he needs to change, after all he’s an all star. They drop videos about how great of shape he’s in, but not about him working on recognizing pitches or studying film, because convincing him to do that and then teaching him effectively would take hard work, and the White Sox don’t do that.

Then a few injuries start nagging more, he goes from 99th percentile skills to something less than that at least for a time, and his athleticism doesn’t carry him as much as he used to. Because they allowed him to get away with not wanting to learn anything, he has not become a smarter player like many guys do with experience, he’s still trying to swing as hard as he can, but it’s just less effective.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Texsox said:

It is. 

The Dodger are always up there.  Yet they win over 90 games a year.

That's the real need for a good farm system.   You want guys who can fill in.

They are happy to give you a player like Vargas,

I know Getz will get completely fleeced but I hope the Sox trade both Robert and Crochet before their careers are completely destroyed by the most dysfunctional organization in professional sports.  Also hope Yoan ends up in a somewhat  competent organization that holds him accountable so he can have a mildly serviceable career.  Obviously too late for TA and Eloy.  They are beyond repair after being mired in this dumpster fire for too long.

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 1

This approach to hitting in the offseason is not going to get it going.

Plus the slappy foxy boxing is probably not enough for explosive movements. 

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=849011016183367

Dude got paid is will return to form just in time for his free agent year.  Then he will turn it on.  This is a tale as old as time.  

• Haha 1