Getz asks for "patience"...

Lip Man 1

Nope, sorry.  You were given a GM job that you weren’t qualified for based on the fact that you “knew the team and the organization” and could execute a quick turnaround.

Since you took over as GM, the majority of your baseball transactions have been absolutely putrid.

Go fvck yourself, Chris.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Paper Bag 3

Admittedly I haven’t even read the article yet but…there’s no way this fucking guy is that tone deaf right?  The fucking owner said they didn’t go through an actual search or interview process to lead a multi-billion dollar organization because they didn’t want to waste any time.  The guy that was gifted a GM job that he is completely underqualified for and seemingly incompetent at performing was previously in charge of the development system that has completely failed with almost every top prospect.  Not they want “patience”?  Go f*** yourself Chris.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
  • Paper Bag 1

As others have already stated, it’s just not the right message to send after you just set the record for the most losses in MLB history. 

On the other hand, nothing he said was wrong. 

“Where we stand right now, it’s very clear that we’ve got some work to do and the pathway out of that is to be healthy underneath the organization. And that’s what we’re determined to do. We’re not going to take shortcuts.”

“We’ll go into this offseason and do what’s best for the long-term health,” he said. “You’ve got an ability to go into the free-agent market, you’ve got potential trade acquisitions. We’re going to do everything that we can to improve this major-league club, but we’re certainly not going to be short sided.”

As stand alone quotes, it’s fine. But as it so often happens, they’re insulated in this bubble and lose sight of who they are speaking to. When Merkin or Fegan hold a phone in front of their face for quotes, Getz isn’t speaking to Merkin or Fegan. He’s speaking to the fan base, the media are simply the middle men. Speak to the fan. They should be HAMMERING the talking points about how unacceptable this season was, that it can never happen again, that they are sleeping in the front office to put in the time to make this thing better. But Getz has this almost aloof attitude when he speaks like “I mean, what did everyone expect? Yeah we’re bad, but what’s new? No big deal, we’ll hopefully figure this out by 2028.”

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

As others have already stated, it’s just not the right message to send after you just set the record for the most losses in MLB history. 

On the other hand, nothing he said was wrong. 

“Where we stand right now, it’s very clear that we’ve got some work to do and the pathway out of that is to be healthy underneath the organization. And that’s what we’re determined to do. We’re not going to take shortcuts.”

“We’ll go into this offseason and do what’s best for the long-term health,” he said. “You’ve got an ability to go into the free-agent market, you’ve got potential trade acquisitions. We’re going to do everything that we can to improve this major-league club, but we’re certainly not going to be short sided.”

As stand alone quotes, it’s fine. But as it so often happens, they’re insulated in this bubble and lose sight of who they are speaking to. When Merkin or Fegan hold a phone in front of their face for quotes, Getz isn’t speaking to Merkin or Fegan. He’s speaking to the fan base, the media are simply the middle men. Speak to the fan. They should be HAMMERING the talking points about how unacceptable this season was, that it can never happen again, that they are sleeping in the front office to put in the time to make this thing better. But Getz has this almost aloof attitude when he speaks like “I mean, what did everyone expect? Yeah we’re bad, but what’s new? No big deal, we’ll hopefully figure this out by 2028.”

Not be “short sided” (constantly playing one man down with IL trips foregone) or “short-sighted” lol?

“Our fans certainly don’t deserve to go through anything like this,” said general manager Chris Getz said this week. “They pay money to come to games and watch games. They look to watch the Chicago White Sox as a positive outlet and we haven’t been able to provide too many positive outcomes throughout the season.”

From tonight’s Fegan article at soxmachine

Edited by caulfield12

Nothing Getz says actually matters. The only thing that matters is what he does moving forward. The odds are against him, but I wish him the best. I just don't get the vitriol towards him. It's not like he's doing this on purpose. As I always say, sports are dumb, and the mean spiritedness heading his way is ridiculous. 

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • TLR 1

A season too late for asking for patience. If he had said that before this season maybe he would have a bit more sympathy, although with 121 losses I doubt it. Instead we had the 'quick turnaround' nonsense whilst acquiring any cheap past it FAs he could find and amassing a variety of AAAA prospects in trades for any assett the team had. The only reason Crochet and Robert didn't get traded was because no one was interested at the price Getz wanted, and considering how bad his other trades were it really does make you wonder what other teams were offering if anything.

16 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Nothing Getz says actually matters. The only thing that matters is what he does moving forward. The odds are against him, but I wish him the best. I just don't get the vitriol towards him. It's not like he's doing this on purpose. As I always say, sports are dumb, and the mean spiritedness heading his way is ridiculous. 

The vitriol towards him has to do with the fact that he's just more of the same. Another guy in the White Sox failing upwards. We've seen this all before.

Perhaps hiring the guy whose failure to draft and develop talent got us here in the first place, was a terrible idea? He's clueless, which his moves this season have proven.

Edited by Paulie4Pres
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

The vitriol towards him has to do with the fact that he's just more of the same. Another guy in the White Sox failing upwards. We've seen this all before.

Perhaps hiring the guy whose failure to draft and develop talent got us here in the first place, was a terrible idea? He's clueless, which his moves this season have proven.

We haven't really "seen this all before." Kenny was a minor league director of ops, who became a moderately successful GM, with a very cavalier attitude, which ended up burning him out. Hahn was an Ivy League educated contract guru, who became one of the most sought-after execs in baseball for a number of years, assembled a team of prospects who failed, and was fired. Getz is a former player and baseball lifer who was most likely over-hired and he's trying create a controlled fire to burn it all down - some of which is his own mess. Getz isn't like any GM we've had in my lifetime. He'll probably fail, because White Sox, but I'm not going to hate the guy for trying. I just don't understand all the hate. It's just a fuckin game and he's doing his best. Motherfuckers need to touch some grass and give the guy a couple years. Yeah, I'd prefer a different GM, but that's not what happened. At some point, being a decent human being supersedes my mouth breather sports fan bias and I'm just not gonna be a psycho and post 6000 times a year because I thought a trade sucked. To each their own. 

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2
  • TLR 1

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Nope, sorry.  You were given a GM job that you weren’t qualified for based on the fact that you “knew the team and the organization” and could execute a quick turnaround.

Since you took over as GM, the majority of your baseball transactions have been absolutely putrid.

Go fvck yourself, Chris.

Agree 150%.  The returns he got from his trades were underwhelming.  I thought that Hahn was bad but this guy is worse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

We haven't really "seen this all before." Kenny was a minor league director of ops, who became a moderately successful GM, with a very cavalier attitude, which ended up burning him out. Hahn was an Ivy League educated contract guru, who became one of the most sought-after execs in baseball for a number of years, assembled a team of prospects who failed, and was fired. Getz is a former player and baseball lifer who was most likely over-hired and he's trying create a controlled fire to burn it all down - some of which is his own mess. Getz isn't like any GM we've had in my lifetime. He'll probably fail, because White Sox, but I'm not going to hate the guy for trying. I just don't understand all the hate. It's just a fuckin game and he's doing his best. Motherfuckers need to touch some grass and give the guy a couple years. Yeah, I'd prefer a different GM, but that's not what happened. At some point, being a decent human being supersedes my mouth breather sports fan bias and I'm just not gonna be a psycho and post 6000 times a year because I thought a trade sucked. To each their own. 

Nepotism. We've seen the nepotism for 40 fucking years.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Not be “short sided” (constantly playing one man down with IL trips foregone) or “short-sighted” lol?

“Our fans certainly don’t deserve to go through anything like this,” said general manager Chris Getz said this week. “They pay money to come to games and watch games. They look to watch the Chicago White Sox as a positive outlet and we haven’t been able to provide too many positive outcomes throughout the season.”

From tonight’s Fegan article at soxmachine

Short sided 🙄

Not sure if Getz or the writer is the dumb ass.

2 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Must be nice to suck at the job that you objectively didn’t earn, get paid millions of dollars (probably), and have it not matter that you also can’t put together an acceptable quote when your team breaks the loss record.

He could’ve just shut up.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Point taken, but maybe the day after they break the loss record isn’t the best time to drop the “touch grass” slam.

We should all be mad. It’s deserved.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Correct, he’s not doing it on purpose, he’s just not qualified for the job, he put together a joke of a team that he thought was going to be competitive and then when it came time to trade the few assets we had he was fleeced. He should resign after the last out on Sunday.
We as fans are done with patience, no more rebuilds, we want the club to be run like a big market franchise, not the Pirates or the Royals, they need to bring in the best GM and manager available along with coaches who know what they’re doing. They also must start spending money and sign free agents while building a viable farm system with good scouts and instructors, not people who are just collecting pay checks, if Reinsdorf isn’t willing to do this then he must sell the club to hopefully someone who will do everything I mentioned,

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reinsdorf isn’t selling. And now everyone in the baseball world knows that he has his hands in on every department of the organization. So how is one supposed to do their job correctly when their boss is always overlooking their shoulder and adding archaic influence?  
Not only is Jerry a major problem, but Getz is super under qualified for this mammoth task of fixing the most dysfunctional team in the MLB. The funny thing is, he was actually apart of the dysfunction and got promoted from within. To me, that’s where the problem lies.
As a homeowner, I wouldn’t hire a contractor assistant to fix my house when he was apart of the company that messed up my wiring, plumbing and HVAC system. Seems pretty illogical. 
Regardless of his qualification status, we all know that even if he can do the job, his hands would be tied by his narcissistic, lazy-buffoon of a boss that seemingly can’t get out of his own way. 
On a positive note, the hire of bannister and the pitching lab is top notch. I was pleasantly surprised with the young starting pitching this year.
Now, can Getz somehow make a respectable hitting lab and hire the best, advanced hitting coaches and instructors to maximize potential at every level of this organization? I’m doubtful. 
Can they revamp the analytical side and hire 30-40 new data engineers to try and give the coaches at every level of the organization an edge? I’m doubtful. 
Until then, it doesn’t matter who they hire as manager, or even who they sign for cheap in free agency. It’ll be the same old archaic Jerry reinsdorf-led white sox. 

Edited by GreatScott82
  • Like 2

Thankfully he didn't ask for money or time. Most fans have turned them down for that. 

What are the choices? 

A. Stay a fan and be angry all the time. 

B. Drop them and find another team. 

C. Ignore them for a couple seasons (be patient) until something with getting excited happens. JR moves on for example. 

36 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Thankfully he didn't ask for money or time. Most fans have turned them down for that. 

What are the choices? 

C. Ignore them for a couple seasons (be patient) until something with getting excited happens. JR moves on for example. 

I am incredibly nervous right now that Jerry's sons are going to take over the Sox as well. 

I used to be a HUGE NBA fan and JR and sons killed that love. 

In the 2000s, in my youth I used to watch 130 games a year. 

I couldn't really bear to watch this year because it just wasn't fun anymore. 

That being said, maybe I'm being unreasonable as a fan, because I grew up with the Bulls winning championships, the Sox being 5th in baseball in winning percentage over a 20 year period(1990-2010)  the Hawks having a magical run in my 20s. The Bears are the only team that has been a constant disappointment, and I'm getting very close to just giving up on sports. 

Honestly, if it wasn't for the social aspect, like here where I have been part of this community for nearly 20 years, idk if I'd continue. 

2 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

Short sided 🙄

Must be nice to suck at the job that you objectively didn’t earn, get paid millions of dollars (probably), and have it not matter that you also can’t put together an acceptable quote when your team breaks the loss record.

And then have people make excuses for you and ask for mercy after all of the arrogant prickory from last season mocking the ALCentral and how things would be better this year just because he showed up.

Look, there have been a whole lot of awful teams with various amounts of awfulness drawing firings.  only one of them managed to turn a 100 loss team and make it 20 games worse.  Respect is earned.  Mercy can be given upon request, but sure hasn't been asked for yet.  I have yet to see any actual contrition. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Paging @WhiteSox2023 lol

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

He is the same as we have seen since the strike of 1994. He is not independent. He is a JR  and most likely now, TLR schill. I don’t hate him as a person. I’m sure he is a pleasant guy. I do hate that he is GM of the White Sox. A position you even acknowledge he probably doesn’t deserve. 

What the White Sox need is a guy with a vision and some autonomy. Sure , they would have to work within a budget. Everyone does. But they shouldn’t have to bow to opinions that are long past their shelf life. The last time the White Sox had little JR influence on their drafts and trades was Larry Himes, who, while probably an asshole, knew JR wasn’t a professional baseball evaluator. That was the time the Sox had the best success doing what they are trying to do now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

Short sided 🙄

I saw an article the other day about the wisdom of silence and it listed the 7 times it is smart to stay quiet....we have an 8th time.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

What are the choices? 

I waver between A & C depending on the day.

They are too much in my blood to do B.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Paging @WhiteSox2023 lol

Your gimmick is old and lame.  You try to blame everyone but the real problem.  I’m not the reason the Sox suck.  Jerry and Getz are.  They are the reason you have to spend all your time hyping up Sox prospects and ridiculously ripping on much better GMs and teams like Elias and the Orioles.  Because there is nothing about this team to be positive about.  Aim your anger and frustrations at the correct targets for once.

I also like how the best defense of Getz is “it’s just baseball, who cares if he sucks, you guys take sports too seriously!”

No, he’s terrible at his job.  The best Sox employee is a mysterious marketing person likely earning around $40K.  That’s just sad.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2