Getz asks for "patience"...

Lip Man 1

When I hear the "patience" line, I take it that the Sox are going the cheap way. Getz said he doesn't want to do shortcuts, but the biggest problem is that he doesn't have a major league lineup. This team just isn't competitive, and another 100-loss season is on the way. Hard to be patient. 

The franchise is in horrible shape. Any kind of talk won't do it. The organization is plain out-of-touch and tone deaf. But they have a great play-by-play man!

7 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Nothing Getz says actually matters. The only thing that matters is what he does moving forward. The odds are against him, but I wish him the best. I just don't get the vitriol towards him. It's not like he's doing this on purpose. As I always say, sports are dumb, and the mean spiritedness heading his way is ridiculous. 

Both things can be true.

1) Sports fans are often stupid, irrational and mean-spirited (myself included) and it can definitely look silly in the grand scheme of things.

2) Due to the emotional connection many of us have with the team, we have every right to be upset. It’s supposed to be a pact between the team and fans. The fans buy in, literally and emotionally, and the team is supposed to hold up their end of the bargain. Instead, it’s a one-way relationship. The fans invest in the team, the team doesn’t give a s%*# about the fans.

F*ck em.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Both things can be true.

1) Sports fans are often stupid, irrational and mean-spirited (myself included) and it can definitely look silly in the grand scheme of things.

2) Due to the emotional connection many of us have with the team, we have every right to be upset. It’s supposed to be a pact between the team and fans. The fans buy in, literally and emotionally, and the team is supposed to hold up their end of the bargain. Instead, it’s a one-way relationship. The fans invest in the team, the team doesn’t give a s%*# about the fans.

F*ck em.

I disagree with this. Only one specific person (maybe 2 if you care about Brooks Boyer) doesn't give a s%*#. 

Then there’s this quote from Grady:

"We're just focused on ourselves and getting better, and we know we have a lot to improve on," he said. "But I think we have the right guys and the right staff in place to get this thing turned around."

Really?!?!?  The guy in charge on the field is looking at the same guys who have lost 121 games this year being the “right” guys to fix it?!?!   This is the voice in Getz’ ear this off-season?!  This is bonkers.

2 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Then there’s this quote from Grady:

"We're just focused on ourselves and getting better, and we know we have a lot to improve on," he said. "But I think we have the right guys and the right staff in place to get this thing turned around."

Really?!?!?  The guy in charge on the field is looking at the same guys who have lost 121 games this year being the “right” guys to fix it?!?!   This is the voice in Getz’ ear this off-season?!  This is bonkers.

What do you want the guy who seems to want the job to say? That the players are garbage and the people around him are garbage too? Also, as of now, he won't be in Getz ear. He doesn't have the gig yet. 

Let me state a few things on this topic:

1. Getz should have kept his message simple and just stated the org is vastly disappointed with this outcome and they acknowledge it’s unacceptable
  2. Citing a need to be patient is fair because it’s going to take a very long time to turn this disaster around but it wasn’t the right to time to say it
  3. The hostility at Chris Getz is totally warranted as he is another insular, unqualified hire who only got this job because of snitching & TLR
  4. Sox fans should never be viewed as being “weird” for being pissed off at this franchise and shouldn’t have to abandon their team because of a shitty owner
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

I disagree with this. Only one specific person (maybe 2 if you care about Brooks Boyer) doesn't give a s%*#. 

For all intents and purposes, that one specific person IS the team. And, fair or not, everyone else is guilty by association.

They went from a World Series contender to the worst team in baseball history in three years. That is unfathomable.

They do not get handed the benefit of the doubt, they have to earn it back. And they have a loooooong way to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

Point taken, but maybe the day after they break the loss record isn’t the best time to drop the “touch grass” slam.

We should all be mad. It’s deserved.

All of the anger started getting burned up in December when they signed DeJong, or whatever. About a dozen people screamed or misquoted everybody who wasn't mad multiple times a day. The adults got over it back in April. I wish they didn't set the loss record. I won't be thinking about it in 3 weeks. 

• TLR 1

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

All of the anger started getting burned up in December when they signed DeJong, or whatever. About a dozen people screamed or misquoted everybody who wasn't mad multiple times a day. The adults got over it back in April. I wish they didn't set the loss record. I won't be thinking about it in 3 weeks. 

The "adults" wouldn't need to spend six months lecturing people on what to think, but continue with your savior complex.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

And then have people make excuses for you and ask for mercy after all of the arrogant prickory from last season mocking the ALCentral and how things would be better this year just because he showed up.

Look, there have been a whole lot of awful teams with various amounts of awfulness drawing firings.  only one of them managed to turn a 100 loss team and make it 20 games worse.  Respect is earned.  Mercy can be given upon request, but sure hasn't been asked for yet.  I have yet to see any actual contrition. 

Prickory? I like it.

19 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

You may. Nobody else will forget it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

He is the same as we have seen since the strike of 1994. He is not independent. He is a JR  and most likely now, TLR schill. I don’t hate him as a person. I’m sure he is a pleasant guy. 

He is also the kind of guy who spends an entire winter talking about leadership and guys who play the right way and then thinks “you know the kind of leader I want? Mike Clevinger. I need that kind of leadership and will pay a premium price for it.”

• Paper Bag 1

45 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

What do you want the guy who seems to want the job to say? That the players are garbage and the people around him are garbage too? 

Absolutely.  Be honest.  Come out and say the truth—that none of us deserve a future in MLB.  

If he doesn’t have the guts to say that—at least don’t recommend that the fix is sticking with the people who have just achieved the most catastrophic result in the history of our game.  

This is like the captain of the Titanic thinking the very best—THE wisest way to keep the ship from sinking again would be to circle around and hit the same iceberg.   I’m not sure what he should say—but nothing close to what he said would be my vote.

15 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Absolutely.  Be honest.  Come out and say the truth—that none of us deserve a future in MLB.  

If he doesn’t have the guts to say that—at least don’t recommend that the fix is sticking with the people who have just achieved the most catastrophic result in the history of our game.  

This is like the captain of the Titanic thinking the very best—THE wisest way to keep the ship from sinking again would be to circle around and hit the same iceberg.   I’m not sure what he should say—but nothing close to what he said would be my vote.

Do you think what coaches/athletes/front office people say to the media is exactly what they are saying behind closed doors? Grady Sizemore wants a job. What does saying "I don't deserve a future having a job" do for him? 

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Because 62 years later, no one remembers who set the all time loss record.

I still remember reading a story many years ago of a father who saw that Mets roster and bet his son that they were a .250 team, no better no worse. The son took the bet knowing that a 162 game season cannot give a .250 winning percentage. And lost.

I swear I'm going to puke if I hear Getz say "we're going to do what's best for the long term health of the organization". That's his complete excuse to do nothing quickly, spend no money and his only strategy is hope. 100% the next manager is not Skip Schumaker, he's going to want real money and the possibility to win a few games.

Fully expect Grady to continue, on the cheap.

Edited by SoxFest23

4 minutes ago, SoxFest23 said:

I swear I'm going to puke if I hear Getz say "we're going to do what's best for the long term health of the organization". That's his complete excuse to do nothing quickly, spend no money and his only strategy is hope. 100% the next manager is not Skip Schumaker, he's going to want real money and the possibility to win a few games.

Do we even want Skip Schumaker as a manager? 

17 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Do you think what coaches/athletes/front office people say to the media is exactly what they are saying behind closed doors? Grady Sizemore wants a job. What does saying "I don't deserve a future having a job" do for him? 

From a PR standpoint, telling the customers that things are great or already fixed on a night like last night just comes off as completely tone deaf.

The day that the investigation report on Toyota’s acceleration problem or VW’s falsified emissions tests comes out, the customers don’t want to hear how great next years models look. When Mark McGuire was hauled before Congress and volunteered to lead an effort to limit steroid use, no one wanted to hear it because he was “not there to talk about the past.”

Acknowledge the customers anger, say that we let our fans down, and say we will make it up to them in the future. Thats it, don’t talk about the great job you’ve done, because you haven’t.

Chris Getz wants all of you to believe that he's gonna turn this team into the Chicago Rays, little spending but with top tier minor league development and an organization with a very specific philosophy on how to win

We are FUCKED

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

I believe it was Chris Getz wo said about a year ago, I don't like our team.

24 minutes ago, SoxFest23 said:

Get your barf bag ready. It’s going to be a horrible offseason.