Dear Sox fans

southsider2k5

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Exactly the reason for it.  Doesn’t need to face the music in person.

Why? Is a journalist going to hit him? Ask a real "hard hitting" question? Rudely cut him short if he resorts to off the shelf answers? LOL.

It's funny that everybody derides pretty much every sports journalist as a hack. Why do you think that Bruce Levine, or Bob Nightengale is going to ask that "gotcha" question that will make everything come tumbling down? Maybe Jay Mariotti? 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Exactly the statement that most organizations would send out.  Boeing's mistakes killed people and they said about the same. 

Nothing he said was going to make anyone feel any better, there was no action to be taken. He's got this off season to win back fans. 

They are winning games in MiLB, independently rated by outsiders the farm system has jumped up in the ratings. The team may have won another ten games by rushing a couple guys up but didn't. 

But Jerry is still the owner and Getz is still the architect. They will not hire anyone as manager that's going to make us jump for joy, that person wouldn't take the job at any price. 

That's VERY VERY optimistic.  Even if they moved Schultz, Montgomery and Quero up to the big leagues, you might have only gotten a bump of 2-3 games, at best, IMO.

As it is/was, most of those younger players proved not to be ready on the position player side.

We did get really impressive results out of Burke late, that's one reason to be encouraged, but he's simply replacing Thorpe IMO until we see proof otherwise.

The only way they would have had that 10 game jump would be if someone like Clase, Helsley or Mason Miller was the closer all season long.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Why? Is a journalist going to hit him? Ask a real "hard hitting" question? Rudely cut him short if he resorts to off the shelf answers? LOL.

It's funny that everybody derides pretty much every sports journalist as a hack. Why do you think that Bruce Levine, or Bob Nightengale is going to ask that "gotcha" question that will make everything come tumbling down? Maybe Jay Mariotti? 

Barstool, lol?  Whitlock?  Joe Cowley?   The days of that kind of reporting around the Sox on a local/regional level are long gone...not when you have to maintain positive relationships with the front office to maintain access, not unlike the situation Schiffren is in, although obviously not that "close" to the players and front office, he seems way too cozy and he's already lost his ability to be 100% objective as a result.

30 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Screenshot_20240604_213822_Gallery.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

What goof?

I hope he takes questions from reporters but this a good statement and surprisingly humbling and reflective from Jerry. It sounds like he’s aware of his failing as owner and wants to correct them.
I wonder if this means a director of analytics is coming to the org?

You can't possibly believe that Jerry penned this himself? This is 100% a PR person writing this piece of hollow fluff. But Jerry gets to hide behind more meaningless empty statements and nothing will change.

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

The guy released two statements before the season ended, one shortly before they got the record and one right after they locked up the record.  It’s pretty obvious to me and everyone else [but you apparently] what he’s trying to avoid but you can think what you want.

Jerry doesn’t want to publicly face the music and potentially be put on the spot and expected to answer any questions, much less difficult ones.

But yes, Bruce Levine and Bob Nightengale were also going to form a tag team and beat Jerry up.  That’s exactly what I meant.

Your biceps must be huge by now…

365-3653247_delivery-man-png-png-downloa

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The guy released two statements before the season ended, one shortly before they got the record and one right after they locked up the record.  It’s pretty obvious to me and everyone else [but you apparently] what he’s trying to avoid but you can think what you want.

Jerry doesn’t want to publicly face the music and potentially be put on the spot and expected to answer any questions, much less difficult ones.

But yes, Bruce Levine and Bob Nightengale were also going to form a tag team and beat Jerry up.  That’s exactly what I meant.

Your biceps must be huge by now…

"Face the music". "Be put on the spot". "Expected to answer any questions". 

Terrifying. 

The funny thing about the "baghdad bob" and water carrying BS is that you guys trot it out for me disagreeing about anything with you. I'm not sure why you and your other account need my validation. You can't make this up. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

"Face the music". "Be put on the spot". "Expected to answer any questions". 

Terrifying. 

The funny thing about the "baghdad bob" and water carrying BS is that you guys trot it out for me disagreeing about anything with you. I'm not sure why you and your other account need my validation. You can't make this up. 

I know it must be shocking that an owner who knew the fans were chanting “SELL THE TEAM” every game and bringing huge banners of him with a clown nose to games would not want to do a press conference.  It’s not terrifying but it’s something a garbage owner avoids.

Your takes are so weird.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Thanks 1

Everyone knows the entire franchise is pure trash. Repeating it ad nauseam changes nothing. Protesting changes nothing. This can either be a website that is an echo chamber of "no s%*#, we suck" or the website it used to be - full of highly knowledgeable fans who understand the situation, talk about the nuances of the sport and makes s%*# loads of great, sarcastic jokes. I miss the days of this board having tons of hilarious posters that were Sox fans but always had a charm. I remember when fans of other teams used to follow this board because it was dry, sarcastic and hilarious. Maybe a lot of the posters have moved on. Maybe we're just all too old to be funny. Man, I miss the old Soxtalk though.

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Like 3

WSox will improve and move toward being a .500 team at some point down the road but realistically, the WSox are one of several (20 or so) MLB teams that will likely never win a World Series during the next several decades or as long as the current financial structure and rules of MLB remain.

Cry all you want but it is what it is. And that will be the case long after JR is Chairman of the Board.

Edited by tray
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Everyone knows the entire franchise is pure trash. Repeating it ad nauseam changes nothing. Protesting changes nothing. This can either be a website that is an echo chamber of "no s%*#, we suck" or the website it used to be - full of highly knowledgeable fans who understand the situation, talk about the nuances of the sport and makes s%*# loads of great, sarcastic jokes. I miss the days of this board having tons of hilarious posters that were Sox fans but always had a charm. I remember when fans of other teams used to follow this board because it was dry, sarcastic and hilarious. Maybe a lot of the posters have moved on. Maybe we're just all too old to be funny. Man, I miss the old Soxtalk though.

I remember when you yourself used to be funny and sarcastic, and now you just tell us all that there is nothing that can be done nothing will change, suck it up everyone this is how it is. 

we all get older Jimbo

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

6 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Hang in there, lots of pissed off Sox fans venting their frustrations. I am already looking forward to the Hot Stove League, watching Future Sox, Locked on White Sox, and Vinny Dubber on YouTube videos. Plus we have a ton of great posters right here on Soxtalk.

KC was 56-106 last year and tomorrow they will be in Baltimore playing the Orioles. (of course they went 12-1 against our Sox to propel themselves into the playoffs :) )

I am going to measure how serious they are about getting better using Gavin Sheets as the barometer. He sucks. He'll be 29 next year, his HR rate has gone down 3 straight seasons. He doesn't get on base much, doesn't hit for a lot of power, isn't a plus defensively. If they are still trying to fit him in as a 4 or 5 hitter next season, they are full of s%*#. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he had his chance. Move on.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

I guess I’ll be the contrarian.

I was really upset about the season, but then I read the letter. I’m all in now. They’ve got this.

There’s the sarcasm that Taylor is looking for.  😂

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Sorry, this is what happens when you are too accepting of what's going on. Eventually, results don't change and you create apathy and an upset fanbase. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I am going to measure how serious they are about getting better using Gavin Sheets as the barometer. He sucks. He'll be 29 next year, his HR rate has gone down 3 straight seasons. He doesn't get on base much, doesn't hit for a lot of power, isn't a plus defensively. If they are still trying to fit him in as a 4 or 5 hitter next season, they are full of s%*#. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he had his chance. Move on.

I agree. Sheets has had plenty of opportunities.  I think he has tried hard to improve himself, but the ability just isn't there. Vaughn is a disappointment, too, since he was so highly rated as a hitter during the draft. The least the Sox can do is make an attempt to get some offense on this team.  One way is to get Sheets out of the lineup. Either improve the offense or look forward to another 100-loss season.

15 minutes ago, Highland said:

I agree. Sheets has had plenty of opportunities.  I think he has tried hard to improve himself, but the ability just isn't there. Vaughn is a disappointment, too, since he was so highly rated as a hitter during the draft. The least the Sox can do is make an attempt to get some offense on this team.  One way is to get Sheets out of the lineup. Either improve the offense or look forward to another 100-loss season.

Honestly, with all of them (though I would like to see them all gone anyway), I wouldn't rule out the lack of coaching. Hitters get worse in this organization. We don't provide any meaningful data as an organization. Everything is generalities.