Dear Sox fans

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

We will see. One change I would like made is what happens when these pop ups keep getting fielded like Little League. Someone needed to get into Andrew Vaughns face yesterday and tell him he needs to catch that ball. It happens every week.

It's not coaching, not at the MLB level. It's horse s%*# ball players. Vaughn is one of the worst athletes in MLB and has no position. Same with Vargas and Gavin. Until the scouting improves you'll see more DH types trying to play positions. As a cherry on top those DH types will hit for under league average. Bonus!

7 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I'm not citing Buster Posey like that's a good example that mirrors Chris Getz' ascension. 

I'm not seeing much reaction that calls this a genius move. Aubrey Huff has done a lot of winning, too. 

I’m in no way endorsing this move as I previously said, and bringing up one of the most angrily misogynistic and racist players really helps you prove your point 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Right I guess I'm just saying "his way" isn't necessarily enforcing the opposite of, say, an orioles or rays, as much as just not really trying that hard at anything, and definitely not record-breaking spending for any player.

The easiest thing, especially as you get older, is to just do nothing. Once this attitude starts to filter down into an org, it's only a matter of time before the entire thing rots from the head down. In MLB you're guaranteed profits even when you allow your org to defile itself to the level of all time worst, otherwise JR would be replaced. Lucky us.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I understand what you are trying to communicate. Jerry should face the music and be forced to answer the questions that need to be answered. Your point (at least as far as I can tell) is that the media isn't going to ask or press him on anything that difficult, so it's not going to accomplish much. 

What should happen is Getz and Jerry should host a town hall at SoxFest, and give fans the opportunity to actually voice their frustration and get answers, but that will NEVER happen, for obvious reasons. 

He's 88 years old. What do you want? Do you also go to your local Walmart and cuss out the 83 year old greeter for asking to see your receipt? Watching an 88 year get humiliated because his baseball team sucks doesn't seem like a lot of fun to me. I couldn't give a s%*# about Jerry, but I'm not going to get any pleasure out of watching an elderly man drool through a press conference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's not coaching, not at the MLB level. It's horse s%*# ball players. Vaughn is one of the worst athletes in MLB and has no position. Same with Vargas and Gavin. Until the scouting improves you'll see more DH types trying to play positions. As a cherry on top those DH types will hit for under league average. Bonus!

I get that, but it's a pop up. 8 year olds make the play. The Sox may have reached double figures messing it up this year.

• Paper Bag 1

28 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

He's 88 years old. What do you want? Do you also go to your local Walmart and cuss out the 83 year old greeter for asking to see your receipt? Watching an 88 year get humiliated because his baseball team sucks doesn't seem like a lot of fun to me. I couldn't give a s%*# about Jerry, but I'm not going to get any pleasure out of watching an elderly man drool through a press conference.

If your expectation for him to drool during a press conference, then he clearly isn't capable of running an organization, and someone who is still involved in the day to day decision making process, when it comes to baseball. 

• Like 5
  • Fire 1

35 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I honestly don’t understand why you are clearly more mad at this site for deciding that this and the last couple seasons results are unacceptable, than you are mad at Reinsdorf for being the puppet master of it all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1
  • TLR 1

39 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm having trouble associating the owner of a billion dollar franchise with a greeter at Walmart.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • TLR 1

43 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Lol wut?

• Fire 1

48 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I’m in no way endorsing this move as I previously said, and bringing up one of the most angrily misogynistic and racist players really helps you prove your point 

Aubrey Huff might as well be Godwin's Law for baseball.

42 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Watching an 88 year get humiliated because his baseball team sucks doesn't seem like a lot of fun to me.

Lol at this phrasing.

Very controversial take here, but yes, I think the billionaire whose laziness and stubbornness is the principal reason the team sucks should indeed have to explain himself to the fans that he continues to take money from.

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

If your expectation for him to drool during a press conference, then he clearly isn't capable of running an organization, and someone who is still involved in the day to day decision making process, when it comes to baseball. 

I don't think "aw, he's an old man, leave him alone", I just don't see the point. If he's still sharp, he'll evade any "hard hitting" questions. Does anybody think that Mike North is going to make him start crying and admit to pulling the plug on Manny Machado because he was scared, or something? No (and I think you or bmags said this earlier), the worst or best thing to come out of that is Reinsdorf naming Kurt Bevacqua as his favorite, ideal player, or whatnot, for everyone to scream about for another 12 months. 

Reinsdorf won't offer any convincing promise of a new path of hirings and investments in development, he's not going to walk us through a PowerPoint, or any of that. All he can do is say that his trust is in Getz, and for Getz to walk everyone through the moves he's making. Nobody will believe anything until people are in place, and even then, until those people start making sensible decisions that have real world results. And even then, it will only be when we see a good, deep run into the playoffs with a young team that the calls for Reinsdorf to die will start getting drowned out. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

Aubrey Huff might as well be Godwin's Law for baseball.

Point being that "winning" doesn't bestow wisdom. "Konerko" is a one-word joke about the type of profile Reinsdorf would hire as the next Sox manager. 

8 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I don't think "aw, he's an old man, leave him alone", I just don't see the point. If he's still sharp, he'll evade any "hard hitting" questions. Does anybody think that Mike North is going to make him start crying and admit to pulling the plug on Manny Machado because he was scared, or something? No (and I think you or bmags said this earlier), the worst or best thing to come out of that is Reinsdorf naming Kurt Bevacqua as his favorite, ideal player, or whatnot, for everyone to scream about for another 12 months. 

Reinsdorf won't offer any convincing promise of a new path of hirings and investments in development, he's not going to walk us through a PowerPoint, or any of that. All he can do is say that his trust is in Getz, and for Getz to walk everyone through the moves he's making. Nobody will believe anything until people are in place, and even then, until those people start making sensible decisions that have real world results. And even then, it will only be when we see a good, deep run into the playoffs with a young team that the calls for Reinsdorf to die will start getting drowned out. 

The calls for him to die, which I do not endorse, will be drowned out because by the time your scenerio occurs, he will be 120 years old. 

• Haha 2
  • Paper Bag 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The calls for him to die, which I do not endorse, will be drowned out because by the time your scenerio occurs, he will be 120 years old. 

Yeah the calls to die are just... weird. It's out of frustration for most. 

He just needs to move on from the team.

6 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I understand the sentiment that there wouldn't be any sort of closure or enlightening responses from JR, but when that's the closest thing we have to even a inkling of accountability for the colossal failure he's created and subjected the fans to, then yeah, I think there's some satisfaction in that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

Comparing the billionaire owner and real estate magnate to a minimum wage employee of a corporate mega company is completely hilarious and delusional.  The latter is there because they likely can’t afford to put dinner on the table every night, the former is an ultra wealthy fan treating professional franchises like a hobby while continuously trying to extort taxpayers for his own personal and professional benefit.  

• Like 2
  • Fire 2

I’d be a lot more patient with Getz in charge of this rebuild if he showed any acumen in terms of making quality trades.  If he can’t evaluate talent, this team will continue to lose 100 games for the perceivable future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mike North?  Lmao not one person here would expect anything out of that s%*# bag.  
nah, some actual journalists like maybe the guys who just lit him up in print, like Rosenthal and Stark and Passan, as well as the local guys like Fegan and Sullivan and the rest of them.  I don’t give a damn if he mealy mouths his way through it, ask the questions and make him squirm.  Instead, he drops a “sorry guys we are gonna be better sometime sry” letter in the middle of a bears game 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Comparing the billionaire owner and real estate magnate to a minimum wage employee of a corporate mega company is completely hilarious and delusional.  The latter is there because they likely can’t afford to put dinner on the table every night, the former is an ultra wealthy fan treating professional franchises like a hobby while continuously trying to extort taxpayers for his own personal and professional benefit.  

Although if Jerry wants to stand at the door at 35th and Shields checking tickets I will be happy to tell him to f*** off and I’m sure I’m not the only one 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I get that, but it's a pop up. 8 year olds make the play. The Sox may have reached double figures messing it up this year.

Look if your players can't get together on a popup, it is 100% coaching.  Obviously the players are baseball stupid and never learned it, but still it is the responsibility of the coaches to teach it to them.  For some reason we as a franchise seem to have decided to cede the development of our players to the players themselves, but this isn't how successful organizations run.  There is a reason you see the Sox making the same mistakes over and over again, while other franchises don't.

41 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I have never seen someone have the need to tell other people so aggressively to not care and to not have expectations.  Cool, we get it.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I honestly am impressed with the dedication to fitness for some of Soxtalk here getting all of these workouts in as watercarriers. 

Their Delts gotta be jacked.  Just carrying 5 gallon buckets all day, every day.