By the Numbers...

Lip Man 1

They speak for themselves:

The numbers across the board were absolutely atrocious but I wanted to point out a few areas in particular.

The offense was dismal but it’s never been this bad and I’ve been keeping this stat for several years now.

The White Sox scored three runs or less in an astounding 105 games!

105 games out of 162 played. That’s 64.8% of all games! 

You can’t win anything when you simply can’t score runs. And you are giving your pitchers simply no room for error (which the Sox defensively made a huge number of but that’s a different story.

Another mind-blowing statistic.

The Sox won only two games when trailing in the 7th inning or later.

TWO…the entire season.

April 27 vs. Tampa Bay. Sox scored two in the last of the 10th to win 8-7.

September 24 vs. Angels. Sox scored three in the 8th to win 3-2.

On the other side of the coin the Sox bullpen was hideous, a complete dumpster fire.

27 times the Sox took a lead into the 7th inning or later…and lost the game! 

12 times they lost the lead in the 7th inning

9 times they lost the lead in the 8th inning

3 times they lost the lead in the 9th inning

3 times they lost the lead in the 10th inning

As far as when these happened? Here is the breakdown and the pitcher or pitchers responsible:

March 30             vs. Detroit            (7th)        Leone/Hill

April 7                   @ Kansas City    (7th)        Garcia

April 10                @ Cleveland       (10th)     Shaw

April 17                vs. Kansas City   (8th)       Kopech

April 23                @ Minnesota     (9th)       Wilson

April 30                vs. Minnesota    (8th)       Leasure

May 24                 vs. Baltimore      (8th)       Kopech

May 31                 @ Milwaukee     (7th)       Soroka/Brebbia

June 1                   @ Milwaukee     (7th)       Anderson/Leasure

June 4                   @ Cubs                 (8th)       Leasure

June 5                   @ Cubs                 (7th)       Soroka/Schuester

June 9                   vs. Boston           (9th)       Banks

June 10                @ Seattle             (8th)       Kopech

June 11                @ Seattle             (7th)       Brebbia

June 20                vs. Houston        (7th)       Wilson

July 6                     @ Miami              (7th)       Soroka

July 7                     @ Miami              (9th)       Kopech

July 8                     vs. Minnesota    (7th)       Leasure

July 21                  @ Kansas City    (7th)       Anderson

July 22                  @ Texas                (9th)       Brebbia

July 29                  vs. Kansas City   (8th)       Wilson/Brebbia

July 30                  vs. Kansas City   (8th)       Ellard/Anderson

August 7              @ Oakland          (7th)       Toussaint/Leone

August 14            vs. Yankees          (7th)       Leone

August 26            vs. Detroit            (7th)       Shuester             

September 18    @ Angels             (8th/11th) Anderson/Kuel

September 22    @ San Diego       (8th)       Ellard

The pitcher breakdown totals. In games where multiple pitchers were responsible each pitcher got charged with a ½:

Kopech-4

Leasure-3 ½

Brebbia- 3

Anderson- 2 ½ 

Leone-2 ½

Wilson- 2 ½

Soroka- 2

Ellard- 1 ½

Schuester- 1 ½

Banks- 1

Garcia- 1

Shaw- 1

Hill- ½ 

Kuel- ½

Toussaint- ½

The White Sox also used a record 63 players this year.

Thanx for the post. This season, while utterly predictable, stunk to high heaven. It was the worst sports season of my life. I wanted the season to be over in May. This roster had to be the worst in any sport in Chicago sports history. That says a lot considering the Bears, Bulls, Cubs, Blackhawks have had some really bad seasons/rosters.

Right now, where I live, KC is in the midst of its golden era with teams (the Chiefs are so far ahead of every NFL team it's a joke; especially the teams in their division; the Chiefs are the standard and it's not close). The Royals make the playoffs with a big assist from the Sox who yearly lay down when they play KCR. KCR were 12-1 versus the Sox I think which accounted for their division title.

Chicago should be ashamed of the White Sox, Bulls and BlackHawks (miserable franchise since the dynasty). The Cubs are a mediocre laughingstock, only had that one WS despite the inherent advantages of having a ballpark that sells out every game; Bulls have had no chance still since MJ days; Bears seem mediocre at best. Get it toggether Chicago sports teams. Wake up.

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

They speak for themselves:

The numbers across the board were absolutely atrocious but I wanted to point out a few areas in particular.

The offense was dismal but it’s never been this bad and I’ve been keeping this stat for several years now.

The White Sox scored three runs or less in an astounding 105 games!

105 games out of 162 played. That’s 64.8% of all games! 

You can’t win anything when you simply can’t score runs. And you are giving your pitchers simply no room for error (which the Sox defensively made a huge number of but that’s a different story.

Another mind-blowing statistic.

The Sox won only two games when trailing in the 7th inning or later.

TWO…the entire season.

April 27 vs. Tampa Bay. Sox scored two in the last of the 10th to win 8-7.

September 24 vs. Angels. Sox scored three in the 8th to win 3-2.

On the other side of the coin the Sox bullpen was hideous, a complete dumpster fire.

27 times the Sox took a lead into the 7th inning or later…and lost the game! 

12 times they lost the lead in the 7th inning

9 times they lost the lead in the 8th inning

3 times they lost the lead in the 9th inning

3 times they lost the lead in the 10th inning

As far as when these happened? Here is the breakdown and the pitcher or pitchers responsible:

March 30             vs. Detroit            (7th)        Leone/Hill

April 7                   @ Kansas City    (7th)        Garcia

April 10                @ Cleveland       (10th)     Shaw

April 17                vs. Kansas City   (8th)       Kopech

April 23                @ Minnesota     (9th)       Wilson

April 30                vs. Minnesota    (8th)       Leasure

May 24                 vs. Baltimore      (8th)       Kopech

May 31                 @ Milwaukee     (7th)       Soroka/Brebbia

June 1                   @ Milwaukee     (7th)       Anderson/Leasure

June 4                   @ Cubs                 (8th)       Leasure

June 5                   @ Cubs                 (7th)       Soroka/Schuester

June 9                   vs. Boston           (9th)       Banks

June 10                @ Seattle             (8th)       Kopech

June 11                @ Seattle             (7th)       Brebbia

June 20                vs. Houston        (7th)       Wilson

July 6                     @ Miami              (7th)       Soroka

July 7                     @ Miami              (9th)       Kopech

July 8                     vs. Minnesota    (7th)       Leasure

July 21                  @ Kansas City    (7th)       Anderson

July 22                  @ Texas                (9th)       Brebbia

July 29                  vs. Kansas City   (8th)       Wilson/Brebbia

July 30                  vs. Kansas City   (8th)       Ellard/Anderson

August 7              @ Oakland          (7th)       Toussaint/Leone

August 14            vs. Yankees          (7th)       Leone

August 26            vs. Detroit            (7th)       Shuester             

September 18    @ Angels             (8th/11th) Anderson/Kuel

September 22    @ San Diego       (8th)       Ellard

The pitcher breakdown totals. In games where multiple pitchers were responsible each pitcher got charged with a ½:

Kopech-4

Leasure-3 ½

Brebbia- 3

Anderson- 2 ½ 

Leone-2 ½

Wilson- 2 ½

Soroka- 2

Ellard- 1 ½

Schuester- 1 ½

Banks- 1

Garcia- 1

Shaw- 1

Hill- ½ 

Kuel- ½

Toussaint- ½

The White Sox also used a record 63 players this year.

Well, that season's over. It's good thing they ended on a positive. I look forward to them being better next season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Well, that season's over. It's good thing they ended on a positive. I look forward to them being better next season. 

How could they possibly be worse? Although I wouldn't consider it much of an improvement if they lost 110 games instead of 121. That's still being a laughingstock.

Nothing really changes until ownership does.  

7 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

How could they possibly be worse? Although I wouldn't consider it much of an improvement if they lost 110 games instead of 121. That's still being a laughingstock.

Nothing really changes until ownership does.  

I would consider a 50 win team an improvement over a 41 win team if there's advancement in key areas. I don't use the word "laughingstock" unless I'm describing some dude trying to make me feel ashamed over a sports team.

Nothing will change with new ownership, either. Please point out the billionaire who is waiting to throw hundreds of millions of his fortune away so that you can finally feel "pride". 

7 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I would consider a 50 win team an improvement over a 41 win team if there's advancement in key areas. I don't use the word "laughingstock" unless I'm describing some dude trying to make me feel ashamed over a sports team.

Nothing will change with new ownership, either. Please point out the billionaire who is waiting to throw hundreds of millions of his fortune away so that you can finally feel "pride". 

It’s great that you don’t use it but “laughingstock of baseball” is a common phrase.  Google it and I bet you the White Sox come up.

27 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It’s great that you don’t use it but “laughingstock of baseball” is a common phrase.  Google it and I bet you the White Sox come up.

I know it's a common phrase. Used by idiot bro-dudes to shame fans of a team.

Fun fact: It doesn't work if you don't feel a deep need for validation from strangers. 

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

The team that's going to take the field and the pitching staff I'm assuming will be identical to the current team/roster. Since the team has played .500 or better the last two weeks I'd say that implies we could go from 41 wins to 50 to 55 wins next year. The only way we'll be back at 41 wins is if the pitching is abysmal again out of the gate. Without Crochet, the starting unit is weak. And the bullpen is ungodly bad. I'm just assuming Sosa and some others will hit the way they've been hitting and some of the starters might be able to duplicate what they've done lately. Still very many question marks. I'll say if the roster is basically the same, the Sox win in the upper 40s next season. 50 wins max though.

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Thanx for the post. This season, while utterly predictable, stunk to high heaven. It was the worst sports season of my life. I wanted the season to be over in May. This roster had to be the worst in any sport in Chicago sports history. That says a lot considering the Bears, Bulls, Cubs, Blackhawks have had some really bad seasons/rosters.

Right now, where I live, KC is in the midst of its golden era with teams (the Chiefs are so far ahead of every NFL team it's a joke; especially the teams in their division; the Chiefs are the standard and it's not close). The Royals make the playoffs with a big assist from the Sox who yearly lay down when they play KCR. KCR were 12-1 versus the Sox I think which accounted for their division title.

Chicago should be ashamed of the White Sox, Bulls and BlackHawks (miserable franchise since the dynasty). The Cubs are a mediocre laughingstock, only had that one WS despite the inherent advantages of having a ballpark that sells out every game; Bulls have had no chance still since MJ days; Bears seem mediocre at best. Get it toggether Chicago sports teams. Wake up.

Cleveland won the Central division by a lot and has a playoff bye, KC WC along with the Tigers, who can ALSO heartily thank the White SOX.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Fun fact: It doesn't work if you don't feel a deep need for validation from strangers. 

Why should any of us feel any shame? We didn't build the worst team in baseball history. All I receive is pity nowadays when I say I'm a Sox fan. Nobody is making fun of Sox fans, they're commiserating with us. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Someone using the term “laughingstock” isn’t an idiot bro dude lmao.  This is one of your saddest attempts to label everyone else.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Someone using the term “laughingstock” isn’t an idiot bro dude lmao.  This is one of your saddest attempts to label everyone else.  

Apparently stating the truth about a record setting awful team makes you an idiot bro-dude.

Always be mad at people who simply state the obvious, not the architects (Jerry and Getz) of such an awful team.

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

And laughingstock is one of the lamest descriptions of this franchise there is, especially because they are LITERALLY being LAUGHED at all over the place these days, becoming a butt of jokes from sports media to late night television.

• Like 1