Farhan Zaidi

Mightygunja

1 hour ago, Mightygunja said:

Just read that the Giants fired him.  I think he’s a good vp of baseball ops, but stuck in a division where he’s trying to compete with the dodgers.  I think he would be a good fit to sit above Chris Getz.

He’d be a terrible fit to work above anyone. He’s a good #2, he shouldn’t be in charge of any org. The Giants drafted poorly under him, their FA signings didn’t work out, and he couldn’t land the big fish despite having an owner willing to sign the big checks. He should’ve been fired last year but he hired Kapler to save himself. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

He’d be a terrible fit to work above anyone. He’s a good #2, he shouldn’t be in charge of any org. The Giants drafted poorly under him, their FA signings didn’t work out, and he couldn’t land the big fish despite having an owner willing to sign the big checks. He should’ve been fired last year but he hired Kapler to save himself. 

A lot of this is true but I think there is a downside to bigger orgs in that you can just get kinda awkward timing. He DID land a big fish in Correa...and then have the medical staff nix it. They thought they had Judge, but could not compete with him being given "Mr. Yankee" status. He took over after years of borrowing on talent depleted them, got that one big year, and has been awkwardly successful since.

He, however, showed a much greater ability to work the margins. Whether it be the pitching staff, or the Joc Pedersons of the world. In fact I think that success paralyzed them as he wasn't sure when to go all in vs. finding value, and chose to go all-in on some tough offseasons.

His drafting wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible, and drafting during some of the covid stuff sucks. Kyle Harrison is still only 22 and did ok in a tough division. Patrick Bailey has been bad offensively but fantastic defensively. Bryce Eldridge is the 35th overall prospect. 

Overall he'd be a hell of an improvement. You shouldn't get 5 years at a major market team like the giants with only one big year. But that said, I think Chaim Bloom and Zaidi will have a successful second run. I think what Zaidi was best at would work extremely well in chicago, he'd probably be single best person to work in Reinsdorf's system.

https://www.sfgate.com/giants/article/sf-giants-fire-farhan-zaidi-19790318.php

It brings an end to Zaidi’s heavily-criticized tenure after almost six seasons in charge, which have mostly been marked by disappointment, as the Giants missed the playoffs five times. 

Speculation about Zaidi’s job status has been rampant for months and ratcheted up last week after a bombshell report from The Athletic last Sunday said Buster Posey got involved in the club’s negotiations with Matt Chapman. Now, Zaidi is out and Posey is taking over, Giants chairman Greg Johnson said in the press release announcing Zaidi's departure.