Wildcard Round

caulfield12

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

How’s that prospect hugging going for you Orioles?

But almost everyone here who ripped Elias for his prospect-hugging said that he should have traded them for pitching — an ace quality starter like Crochet for example.  Meanwhile, the Orioles lost the series because of their hitting, not their pitching.  They gave up 3 runs in two games.

I don’t recall anyone saying the Orioles needed to acquire bats, even though they did trade for Eloy [hardy-har-har].

So Elias was actually right to not trade a prospect like Mayo for Crochet.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

But almost everyone here who ripped Elias for not dealing his prospects said that he should have traded them for pitching.  Meanwhile, the Orioles lost the series because of their hitting, not their pitching.  They gave up 3 runs in 2 games.

I don’t recall anyone saying the Orioles needed to acquire bats.

Did those precious prospects perform in this series? 😁

Honestly I’m just reveling in their downfall.  

9 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

But almost everyone here who ripped Elias for his prospect-hugging said that he should have traded them for pitching — an ace quality starter like Crochet for example.  Meanwhile, the Orioles lost the series because of their hitting, not their pitching.  They gave up 3 runs in two games.

I don’t recall anyone saying the Orioles needed to acquire bats, even though they did trade for Eloy [hardy-har-har].

They could have won more games in the regular season and then not been in the wild card round. 

8 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Ultimately it's going to be perceived as a failure...especially both Rutschman and #1 prospect Holiday.

Then they have to replace the leadership of Mullins Santander and Burnes.

Lots of uncertainty around Grayson Rodriguez moving forward as well.

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Ultimately it's going to be perceived as a failure...especially both Rutschman and #1 prospect Holiday.

Then they have to replace the leadership of Mullins Santander and Burnes.

Lots of uncertainty around Grayson Rodriguez moving forward as well.

Their window has already closed whether their fans realize it or not. They aren’t winning s%*# with this current core.

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Their window has already closed whether their fans realize it or not. They aren’t winning s%*# with this current core.

It's certainly possible your'e right but I don't buy that this is certain at all. Way too much talent there to say this yet. Just takes one good run.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Not without significant FA spending on the pitching front...but not going to count out a system with that much depth.

Cowser will win RoY.  Still have Westburg Mayo Basallo Hjerstad...but the key obviously is Rutschman and Holiday playing as projected.

Gunnar Henderson is already one of the Top 5-7 players in baseball.

36 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

They could have won more games in the regular season and then not been in the wild card round. 

Baltimore was 5th in the MLB in starter ERA.

https://www.mlb.com/stats/team/pitching?split=sp&sortState=asc

And they acquired Eflin who was great and pitched much better than Crochet in the second half and Rogers who sucked.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

16 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Baltimore was 5th in the MLB in starter ERA.

https://www.mlb.com/stats/team/pitching?split=sp&sortState=asc

Eflin is going to $18 million.

Burnes will be gone.  Grayson is a massive question mark health wise.

Suarez can't be counted upon based on the last month.

That leaves Bradish and Means but lots of question marks and no ace.

"The infield is mostly set. Rutschman should bounce back offensively and is incredibly valuable either way. Ryan Mountcastle has failed to make improvements in recent years but has likely done enough to remain the first baseman. Even though Holliday struggled this year, he was such a terrific prospect that he will open 2025 as the Orioles’ second baseman. That leaves Henderson at shortstop and the versatile Jordan Westburg at the hot corner. Ramón Urías and Jorge Mateo are capable reserve infielders.

The outfield has two certainties and one notable vacancy. Cedric Mullins is under contract for one more year and will patrol center field, with Colton Cowser coming off a solid rookie season as the left fielder. Santander is heading to free agency, and losing him would be a massive blow to the lineup. If that happens, the team could pivot to Kjerstad or bring in a replacement from outside the organization. The Orioles will also have a tough call on the $7.5 million option for Ryan O’Hearn, who is a useful offensive player and can float among DH, first base and the outfield.

With Burnes heading to free agency, there is a massive hole in the rotation. That said, Grayson Rodriguez has emerged as an effective starter and could develop into an ace. He will be joined by Zach Eflin and Dean Kremer. Cade Povich didn’t have much success as a rookie but is young (24) and talented. He could be the fifth starter. Still, there is a major need to either re-sign Burnes or replace him with a similarly talented pitcher.

As for the bullpen, the key relievers are under contract for 2025, and major help is coming in the form of Félix Bautista, who is returning from 2023 Tommy John surgery. The presence of Bautista will shift Domínguez to the setup committee with Cano and Pérez."

https://sports.yahoo.com/baltimore-orioles-2024-offseason-preview-how-do-the-os-continue-their-ascension-in-2025-235101040.html

Forgot they had an option on Mullins....but payroll will be significantly higher and that's without even replacing Burnes.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Eflin is going to $18 million.

Burnes will be gone.  Grayson is a massive question mark health wise.

Suarez can't be counted upon based on the last month.

That leaves Bradish and Means but lots of question marks and no ace.

I was just referring to this season and the notion that they should have acquired more pitching.  I disagree and it wasn’t the reason they got knocked out of the playoffs.

45 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It's certainly possible your'e right but I don't buy that this is certain at all. Way too much talent there to say this yet. Just takes one good run.

I don’t buy the way too much talent argument. In fact, they’re looking an awful lot like the 2021 White Sox and at a major crossroads in their rebuild. For all the hype about a guy like Coby Mayo, boy, was he atrocious. small sample size but a 47.8% strikeout rate in 46 PAs is a major red flag.

18 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I don’t buy the way too much talent argument. In fact, they’re looking an awful lot like the 2021 White Sox and at a major crossroads in their rebuild. For all the hype about a guy like Coby Mayo, boy, was he atrocious. small sample size but a 47.8% strikeout rate in 46 PAs is a major red flag.

Maybe the Orioles will take Vargas and Fletcher for Mayo?

It can always be worse…

24 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

While I get the comparison in terms of timing, the 2021 White Sox were also idiots. They had basically mortgaged everything they had on 2021 and we know how poor of a job they were doing with their development and attitude. The Os shouldn’t be anything near that awful.

21 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m all for dancing on the O’s grave, but that’s a silly comparison. That organization is light years ahead of the Sox. They will be competitive for quite a while.