• Matt Foster (4.093): $900K
  • Garrett Crochet (4.028): $2.9MM
  • Enyel De Los Santos (4.015): $1.7MM
  • Andrew Vaughn (4.000): $6.4MM
  • Justin Anderson (3.122): $1.1MM
  • Jimmy Lambert (3.108): $1.2MM
  • Gavin Sheets (3.076): $2.6MM
  • Steven Wilson (3.000): $1MM

I don't see how you bring back Vaughn at that price.  Wouldn't be shocked if they bring back Sheets though

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/10/projected-arbitration-salaries-for-2025.html

Edited by joejoesox

• joejoesox changed the title to 2025 Projected Arb Salaries (MLBTR)
19 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

I don't see how you bring back Vaughn at that price.  Wouldn't be shocked if they bring back Sheets though

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/10/projected-arbitration-salaries-for-2025.html

I would think Vaughn and Lopez are gone cause of $$. Lopez is no good and Vaughn seems to be mediocre prospect at best. Jerry can save 11 million between the two to give mediocre relief pitcher candidates.

• Like 1

Nicky Lopez at just over $5 million.  Talk about burning money.

Vaughn and Sheets for a combined $9 million?  You could sign a random vet 1B that would be better.  They should just let them go and play anyone else at 1B.

The rest of the salaries are reasonable, but I probably wouldn’t waste a million on Justin Anderson.  He’s disposable.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

Getz isn’t tied to the Vaughn draft selection…but they did go out of their way to focus on him as a leader after the deadline, at least guys such as Scott Merkin covering the team on a daily basis.

If you trade Vaughn do you want Benintendi to basically be the face of the team when he won’t be on the next playoff squad?

(It probably has to come from Smith and/or Schultz leading the future rotation.)

I suggested someone like Jose Iglesias to set the tone on the infield as the vocal leader of the team…it’s definitely not going to be coming from Amaya or Baldwin.

Then at least you have a captain/role model to drive expectations for Sosa Vargas Ramos Montgomery, to set the tone for how to play the game the right way…and a replacement of sorts for Hispanic players to gravitate towards,

Edited by caulfield12

34 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If you trade Vaughn do you want Benintendi to basically be the face of the team when he won’t be on the next playoff squad?

This doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things

30 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

This doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things

Maybe not…but eventually SOME of these position players will be foundation pieces.

Montgomery and Quero, to name two.  

Then you still have Fletcher Lee Vargas Sosa Ramos Colas Baldwin DeLoach Elko Julks that need proper leadership/instruction.

Maybe it will end up being Sheets and Benintendi, if they do actually move on from Andrew Vaughn.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

No one cares about the face of a 100+ loss team.  Did anyone care about it this year?  No.  So no one will care about it when they lose 100+ games next season.

They cerainly cared about clearing the team of "bad influences" though.

In a vacuum, something has to emerge to fill it.

And they still care a lot about marketing aka selling tickets to a rapidly shrinking fanbase.

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

They cerainly cared about clearing the team of "bad influences" though.

In a vacuum, something has to emerge to fill it.

And they still care a lot about marketing aka selling tickets to a rapidly shrinking fanbase.

Yeah, that was a part of Getz’s failed strategy — that defense and leadership was going to improve the team.  Give me some asshole players with talent and the Sox will win more games than with nice guys who suck at baseball.

I don’t think we should worry about what the Sox did.  It led to a record-setting piece of garbage team.  Whatever Getz’s plan ever is, he should do the exact opposite.  Think George Costanza in that Seinfeld episode called “The Opposite”.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

8 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Vaughn and Lopez should be the easiest non-tender decisions imaginable, but Getz will no doubt find a way to f*** this up. 

He’ll trade the two of them for players under guaranteed contracts.

I’m just as sick of Vaughn as the rest of y’all but, considering the context, I don’t see the harm in giving him one more chance to realize his potential.

It’s going to be yet another season of seeing what you have in guys, so they certainly have the time.

He isnt blocking anyone that’s more important to the future.

The $6M price tag doesn’t matter since they will not be spending/reallocating that money in a meaningful way anyway.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I’m just as sick of Vaughn as the rest of y’all but, considering the context, I don’t see the harm in giving him one more chance to realize his potential.

It’s going to be yet another season of seeing what you have in guys, so they certainly have the time.

He isnt blocking anyone that’s more important to the future.

The $6M price tag doesn’t matter since they will not be spending/reallocating that money in a meaningful way anyway.

I am onboard with your thoughts on Vaughn. 

36 players had 400 or more PAs while playing 1B.  According to Fangraphs Vaughn pulls up as #31 in terms of WAR at -0.2.  The Great Gavin Sheets pops in at #35 or -0.9.  Yes, the White Sox managed to pull a negative 1.1 WAR at 1b.  This has to be history. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=1b&qual=400&pagenum=1&pageitems=50

9 minutes ago, Rusty_Kuntz said:

I have never thought Vaughn had much of a ceiling but I don't think there's any reason not to give him one more year. What's the alternative? Sheets everyday? Or some journeyman? 

Right. If there was a decent FA to sign that you could maybe flip later then maybe. But there’s no one knocking on the door and they need to finally move on from Sheets.

10 hours ago, fathom said:

Vaughn is going nowhere 

36 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

agreed

None of this makes any sense. He's just not worth the arb cost. He's a bad baseball player. I'll be pretty disappointed if they tender him at that price. It should be an easy decision. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

None of this makes any sense. He's just not worth the arb cost. He's a bad baseball player. I'll be pretty disappointed if they tender him at that price. It should be an easy decision. 

Who would you try to replace him with? They won’t sign Alonso, Goldschmidt or Christian Walker. Unless that’s where you want to stick Vargas.

Vaughn is the type of player the Sox should be targeting during the rebuild: former top prospect with a high pedigree from a failed organizational development program. This would, of course, presume that we would have the capability to fix said post-hype player which we have shown minimal ability to do in the past. If this off-season's staff overhaul includes a monumental investment in analytics and coaches that can apply that, then we might be onto something. Critically, it's our only path forward out of this morass that should bring any reasonable Sox fan hope. However, neither bringing in a placeholder journeyman nor a high priced FA makes sense at this stage of the "rebuild."