2025 Projected Arb Salaries (MLBTR)

joejoesox

14 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Who would you try to replace him with? They won’t sign Alonso, Goldschmidt or Christian Walker. Unless that’s where you want to stick Vargas.

It doesn't matter who they replace him with. He posted a 98 wRC+ as a first baseman and was a negative WAR player. He's bad at baseball and is an easy non-tender at that cost. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Who would you try to replace him with? They won’t sign Alonso, Goldschmidt or Christian Walker. Unless that’s where you want to stick Vargas.

Does it really matter for just next year?  I know Getz won’t just want to accept defeat but they are going to be bad again.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

18 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

None of this makes any sense. He's just not worth the arb cost. He's a bad baseball player. I'll be pretty disappointed if they tender him at that price. It should be an easy decision. 

It makes sense in that the new Sox regime seems to have no problem spending way too much money on proven god awful players.  If you like Vaughn so much, let him walk, and pay him like half of that in free agency, like a normal franchise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Honestly?  Who cares.  The Sox were literally last in 1B WAR this year and lost 121 games.  I am not worried about marginal gains or losses.  If it were up to me, I would stick Vargas there and let him get familiar with his new home, because it sure as hell shouldn't be 3B.  This could also be on those positions where you find some unwanted $2-3m bat-ish first player and let him fill a position for a year like they did with DeJong at SS.  You have nothing ready to go there anyway unless you surrender on Vargas, which Getz won't have enough sense to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Honestly?  Who cares.  The Sox were literally last in 1B WAR this year and lost 121 games.  I am not worried about marginal gains or losses.  If it were up to me, I would stick Vargas there and let him get familiar with his new home, because it sure as hell shouldn't be 3B.  This could also be on those positions where you find some unwanted $2-3m bat-ish first player and let him fill a position for a year like they did with DeJong at SS.  You have nothing ready to go there anyway unless you surrender on Vargas, which Getz won't have enough sense to do.

Hey I wouldn’t bat an eye if they moved on from him. He sucks. I just think he’ll be back because there are no other options. I agree they should just play Vargas at 1B.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

None of this makes any sense. He's just not worth the arb cost. He's a bad baseball player. I'll be pretty disappointed if they tender him at that price. It should be an easy decision. 

No one is sayng he hasn't been a massive disapointment but a player is more than his war or xrc. They like his work ethic and leadership and after what they have gone thru the last few years and where they currently are as an organization that's more important to them than a couple wins. If he has another disappointing season they can move on from him after the '25 season.  

btw-I'll take the under on that arb number.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It doesn't matter who they replace him with. He posted a 98 wRC+ as a first baseman and was a negative WAR player. He's bad at baseball and is an easy non-tender at that cost. 

Hey, I agree. He sucks. Move Vargas to 1B. The only reason I think he sticks is because no one else is knocking on door. Unless Vargas moves.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

29 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Hey I wouldn’t bat an eye if they moved on from him. He sucks. I just think he’ll be back because there are no other options. I agree they should just play Vargas at 1B.

This would totally be a Getz move, though I wonder if Jerry needing to save a few bucks for his kids would dictate this over Getz's wishes.

29 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

No one is sayng he hasn't been a massive disapointment but a player is more than his war or xrc. They like his work ethic and leadership and after what they have gone thru the last few years and where they currently are as an organization that's more important to them than a couple wins. If he has another disappointing season they can move on from him after the '25 season.  

btw-I'll take the under on that arb number.

I also wouldn’t rule out that they bring back Lopez (at a lower amount).  They definitely want a veteran infielder to go along with the youth.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I also wouldn’t rule out that they bring back Lopez (at a lower amount).  They definitely want a veteran infielder to go along with the youth.

Leave it to the White Sox to value "work ethic" over actual performance.  We spent an entire winter bringing in all of these work ethic cases via free agency and trade, and it got us the worst season in MLB history.  What would we learn from that lesson?  Let's do it again!  Imagine how many losses we could have had without Andrew Vaughns leadership.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They could but they seem to like Amaya a lot too so he may end up being the util guy.  

Exactly.  There is zero reason to give $5 million to Lopez with Amaya around.  They are both bad and neither can hit so why waste $5 million?

Sosa starts at 2B, Ramos should start at 3B over Vargas (who should be in LF), Montgomery eventually takes over SS, and Amaya is the utility guy.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Exactly.  There is zero reason to give $5 million to Lopez with Amaya around.  They are both bad and neither can hit so why waste $5 million?

And if you REALLY HAVE To have Nicky, Non-tender him and negotiate with him as a free agent and save yourself some damned money.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If they include Murph too and I'm in!

Sad thing is it was a joke in my mind at first, but the Braves make a ton of sense. Too bad we didn’t get Schwellenbach last year.  Love watching him pitch.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Is Tim Elko not an option? He has to replace one of Sheets/Vaughn, right? 

I am all for a Tim Elko getting a shot.  Odds are he is the next Sheets/Vaughn, but I would rather pay him 800k to do that, versus  talking about paying Vaughn/Sheets 9 million dollars to be the worst 1B combo in baseball.

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It makes sense to me, doesn't mean its the right move. They aren't going to be signing anyone of significance in free agency, and they have no one beating down the door at first base. So what if you pay Vaughn $6 million next season, maybe he becomes flippable at the deadline.

• Like 1