2025 Projected Arb Salaries (MLBTR)

joejoesox

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Who would you try to replace him with? They won’t sign Alonso, Goldschmidt or Christian Walker. Unless that’s where you want to stick Vargas.

The Sox probably don't care too much about who they plug in at 1B, especially if they don't go after one of the guys you mentioned.  There are a few options that would likely cost less than $6.4M, but I'm not sure they'd be much better than Vaughn:

Rowdy Tellez
Carlos Santana
Joey Gallo
Anthony Rizzo (club option)
Mark Canha
Dom Smith
Jose Abreu (league minimum)

Aside from Rizzo, who will probably be signed by someone for more than $6M, none of these guys would likely be any better than Vaughn.  He's a known player, and the Sox apparently like what he does outside of hitting and scrapping around first base.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sad thing is it was a joke in my mind at first, but the Braves make a ton of sense. Too bad we didn’t get Schwellenbach last year.  Love watching him pitch.

I saw him in HS and thought he was a hitter.  It's crazy to see how good of a pitcher he's become.

I would be surprised if Crochet is traded to the Braves.  I think/hope other teams will offer a better package than what the Braves could offer.

20 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

The Sox probably don't care too much about who they plug in at 1B, especially if they don't go after one of the guys you mentioned.  There are a few options that would likely cost less than $6.4M, but I'm not sure they'd be much better than Vaughn:

Rowdy Tellez
Carlos Santana
Joey Gallo
Mark Canha
Dom Smith

Aside from Rizzo, who will probably be signed by someone for more than $6M, none of these guys would likely be any better than Vaughn.  He's a known player, and the Sox apparently like what he does outside of hitting and scrapping around first base.

This is exactly what I am trying to say.  There are other cheap options.  If you really want Andrew, non-tender him and bring him back for a number that looks more like 2024's salary.  Especially if we are so damned budget crunched that we need to ruin a Crochet return by including Benny, take the common sense moves to cut payroll first.  $6 million for a no hit, no field 1B in 2024 is insanity.

28 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Rowdy Tellez
Carlos Santana
Joey Gallo
Mark Canha
Dom Smith

Yeah, see if Gallo will sign for a $1M. f*** it.

Vaughn stinks and isn’t worth $6M…but there is still a 1 in a million “what if” chance he figures something out. I don’t think you can say the same for any of the alternatives.
And I don’t care if Jerry saves $3-4M on the bottom shelf budget. Not like that $ is going to be used productively. 

Don’t get me wrong, I won’t be sad if Vaughn goes, but the $ part of it is meaningless to me 

5 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Vaughn stinks and isn’t worth $6M…but there is still a 1 in a million “what if” chance he figures something out. I don’t think you can say the same for any of the alternatives.
And I don’t care if Jerry saves $3-4M on the bottom shelf budget. Not like that $ is going to be used productively. 

Don’t get me wrong, I won’t be sad if Vaughn goes, but the $ part of it is meaningless to me 

If he's being paid $1 million and a legit team realizes they could use a platoon 1b (Houston is an actual candidate here) they might send you a minor league reliever for him at the deadline.

If he's being paid $5 million, they'll pass unless Reinsdorf covers some of the money. You may assess the odds of that happening yourself.

The thing is, I trust that he’ll do well in a different organization, so we’ll look like fools if we let him go.

He’ll still continue to struggle if he stays, so we’ll look like fools if we keep him.

Lesson being: the Sox will look like fools regardless of the decision they make, because we don’t know how to develop players.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If he's being paid $1 million and a legit team realizes they could use a platoon 1b (Houston is an actual candidate here) they might send you a minor league reliever for him at the deadline.

If he's being paid $5 million, they'll pass unless Reinsdorf covers some of the money. You may assess the odds of that happening yourself.

I actually thought he was a great fit to platoon (.772 OPS against LHP) in Houston with Singleton (.773 OPS against RHP), but then you're limiting your bench with a 1B only player (not that their primary DH can't play the OF I guess).

Edited by Bob Sacamano

28 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is exactly what I am trying to say.  There are other cheap options.  If you really want Andrew, non-tender him and bring him back for a number that looks more like 2024's salary.  Especially if we are so damned budget crunched that we need to ruin a Crochet return by including Benny, take the common sense moves to cut payroll first.  $6 million for a no hit, no field 1B in 2024 is insanity.

Right.  If they do tender Vaughn, they'd be doing it for the wrong reasons.  Just because they like his leadership is no reason to give him $6.4M to be bad at baseball.  Just bring back Jose for his leadership and pay him league minimum.

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Why on earth would Vaughn choose to come back if he’s DFA’d? Why wouldn’t Houston (or any other team) sign him for $2M if that’s all it takes?

It’s DFA Vaughn and say your goodbyes OR overpay him by $4M(ish) for 1 more year and pray for a miracle with a new coaching staff. Like I said, I don’t really care either way, but I don’t see a world where an in between exists.

5 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Why on earth would Vaughn choose to come back if he’s DFA’d? Why wouldn’t Houston (or any other team) sign him for $2M if that’s all it takes?

It’s DFA Vaughn and say your goodbyes OR overpay him by $4M(ish) for 1 more year and pray for a miracle with a new coaching staff. Like I said, I don’t really care either way, but I don’t see a world where an in between exists.

Who the hell is going to pick up Andrew Vaughn and give him the starting 1B job? That's why he'd come back. He isn't worth half of what they paid him last year, let alone a jump to $6.4M. Its the cold reality of the business side of baseball, and a lesson young Andrew will soon learn.

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

No one is sayng he hasn't been a massive disapointment but a player is more than his war or xrc. They like his work ethic and leadership and after what they have gone thru the last few years and where they currently are as an organization that's more important to them than a couple wins. If he has another disappointing season they can move on from him after the '25 season.  

btw-I'll take the under on that arb number.

This is gross and it makes me lose even more faith in the decision makers. Also, he's not worth whatever the under is either. $5 million is too much because he stinks. Would you pay Lenyn Sosa that much? I bet he'd produce similarly playing 1B with the same number of plate appearances. 

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Sad thing is it was a joke in my mind at first, but the Braves make a ton of sense. Too bad we didn’t get Schwellenbach last year.  Love watching him pitch.

Yeah I'm pretty confident that it won't be Atlanta. They want position players. 

1 hour ago, T R U said:

It makes sense to me, doesn't mean its the right move. They aren't going to be signing anyone of significance in free agency, and they have no one beating down the door at first base. So what if you pay Vaughn $6 million next season, maybe he becomes flippable at the deadline.

Why would he flippable? He sucks and nobody wants him. 

• Thanks 1