Andrew Vaughn

On 10/2/2024 at 4:19 PM, Texsox said:

He's another example of a guy that was rushed to the majors plus being forced to play out of position. It's no wonder his stats are what they are. He would have spent a couple years getting ready in a quality organization. 

One of the problems of the last rebuild was the lack of a true right fielder and a second baseman, instead we had AV and Sheets playing right field, surprised they didn’t try AV at second.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

One of the problems of the last rebuild was the lack of a true right fielder and a second baseman, instead we had AV and Sheets playing right field, surprised they didn’t try AV at second.

Remember they had Burger taking round balls at second base before games. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Remember they had Burger taking round balls at second base before games. 

He actually played 3 games at second base in 2022 and never made an error, still think it was a mistake to trade him, his 29 homers might have won a few more games this past year.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

He actually played 3 games at second base in 2022 and never made an error, still think it was a mistake to trade him, his 29 homers might have won a few more games this past year.

WOW, so the white sox would have won 42? Boy, that’s totally a difference making kind of change.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2024 at 12:03 PM, Greg Hibbard said:

No idea how to evaluate this guy as a good or bad asset for the team. 

The pros:

Healthiest player on the roster, remarkably consistent, seems like a good clubhouse guy. 

The cons:

His ceiling apparently equals his floor, not enough power, no speed, 4 years in the majors now - he is what he is. 

I think he's fine to move forward with because of how bad we are, but he seems like every other White Sox asset - never quite good enough to be elite or even above average, never quite bad enough to be cut or traded. A middling talent. 

Also, his WAR was 0.2 this season mostly playing 1b/DH. Wins Over Replacement typically means replacing him with whoever comes up from the minors, right? I have hard time believing any player coming up would automatically hit 30 doubles and 19 home runs. 

With AV or Sheets you get a max 700 ops guy with poor defensive skills. As if they never had to worry about having a good glove with their hitting skills. Curious.

24 minutes ago, pcq said:

With AV or Sheets you get a max 700 ops guy with poor defensive skills. As if they never had to worry about having a good glove with their hitting skills. Curious.

Elko or maybe Ramos if they insist on Vargas at third over second…

Or Sosa.   None of those three are plus gloves, either.

And none of those guys are sure things to hit over 700 when DeJong and Pham were the only two to barely manage that on the team.

They’re just cheaper.  

Not even sure about more exciting, despite relative youth on their side.

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Elko or maybe Ramos if they insist on Vargas at third over second…

Or Sosa.   None of those three are plus gloves, either.

And none of those guys are sure things to hit over 700 when DeJong and Pham were the only two to barely manage that on the team.

They’re just cheaper.  

Not even sure about more exciting, despite relative youth on their side.

I beg to differ on Elko’s defense. He may K in a third of his at bats, but the man can pick it at first. A huge defensive upgrade over either Vaughn or Sheets.

• Like 2

I am trying to think what the Sox will do assuming they keep Vaughn, how about the following:

1st base:  Ramos (even if he is new to the position I will take his glove over Vaughn's)

2nd base: Sosa

3rd base: Vargus sink or swim and then move on and then call up Montgomery to replace him

Full time DH:  Vaughn, just let him concentrate on hitting. I am not expecting miracles here.

Release Sheets

Edited by Falstaff

16 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

I am trying to think what the Sox will do assuming they keep Vaughn, how about the following:

1st base:  Ramos (even if he is new to the position I will take his glove over Vaughn's)

2nd base: Sosa

3rd base: Vargus sink or swim and then move on and then call up Montgomery to replace him

Full time DH:  Vaughn, just let him concentrate on hitting. I am not expecting miracles here.

Release Sheets

SS?