Andrew Vaughn

Greg Hibbard

15 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Sorry, my response was more tangential. A guy like Marcus Semien probably would have been a bad 2B who hit some, for us. Fully developed in Oakland. I don't think there's any hope for Vaughn here, right now. I don't think there's any hope for him elsewhere, unless some other team decides to give him a swift kick. 

Yes, Semien was one that left the Sox and went on to have a good MLB career. I think you are right about Vaughn, and I think that is a great condemnation of how the organisation have attempted to develop him. He was supposedly a sure fire hitter at MLB level with an iffy glove and somehow he has turned into a poor hitter and a poor fielder.

Edited by Chimpton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulie4Pres said:

He needs to hit the weights and bulk up. He's already slow and can't get much slower. He's already a s%*# defender and can't get much shittier. At the very least, he needs to hit home runs. Otherwise he's useless.

Another overrated theory in baseball. Misconception in most sports.

He's a trademark of the KW era that the weaknesses can be coached out of a player when it comes to defense and base running. 

Modern baseball seems to have this habit of dumbing down 1B.  Anyone can play it.   I don't agree since they handle a baseball as much as anyone else. Having a stud 2b helps.  Oh wait that's another big hole the organization has.  

3 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Another overrated theory in baseball. Misconception in most sports.

He's a trademark of the KW era that the weaknesses can be coached out of a player when it comes to defense and base running. 

Modern baseball seems to have this habit of dumbing down 1B.  Anyone can play it.   I don't agree since they handle a baseball as much as anyone else. Having a stud 2b helps.  Oh wait that's another big hole the organization has.  

Yeah, I mean, guys weren't hitting 60-70 HRs when jacked taking steroids or anything. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jerry McNertney said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Vaughn goes and is replaced by Elko, a lefthanded bat.

Tim Elko is a right handed bat, and had comparable numbers in AA and AAA to AV in the majors. And he’s like 8 months younger than AV. Tim Elko isn’t the answer. He also doesn’t even need to be added to the 40 man until Dec 2025. No reason pencil him in; he’ll likely get his chance next season anyway. 

• Like 1

When he was drafted, I was as big of Andrew Vaughn fan as there was. Everything I saw, everything I read , was so positive. This was a guy who made pitchers throw strikes. I was so excited. But he still misses pitches by 2 feet. His numbers are basically the same every year. If they keep him one more year, just in case, I'll get it, but it's probably time to move on.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, socksless joe said:

Getz wasn't the GM that promoted them to sit on the bench behind Jose Abreu or the one who put two 1st basemen in the outfield ruining their progress.

But he IS the GM who has had them on this roster, and hasn't done anything to replace them.

12 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

When he was drafted, I was as big of Andrew Vaughn fan as there was. Everything I saw, everything I read , was so positive. This was a guy who made pitchers throw strikes. I was so excited. But he still misses pitches by 2 feet. His numbers are basically the same every year. If they keep him one more year, just in case, I'll get it, but it's probably time to move on.

This is why I hated the idea of a tank/rebuild. What was Vaughn, third pick overall? And a complete bust. Teams that try to win thru the draft via the tank route are ill advised to do so.

18 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This is why I hated the idea of a tank/rebuild. What was Vaughn, third pick overall? And a complete bust. Teams that try to win thru the draft via the tank route are ill advised to do so.

And the Blue Jays, for example.

Others will now argue the Orioles have nothing to show for all their lean years as well.

But, as any White Sox fan knows, constant retooling has meant what type of playoff record from 1990-2012?

If the Royals didn’t bottom out, no Witt Jr. and no playoffs.

Runs like the Tigers or Mets this year happen once a generation for fans of most teams.

MLB has now gone decades without a repeat champion.  Compare that to the Chiefs or Patriots.  You can make the playoffs every year with superstar QBs but it doesn’t work that way for baseball teams normally.  Just look at the Angels with Trout and Ohtani.