How can they even catch Minn in 3-5 years?

caulfield12

22 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

we have no analytics team so until Jerry dies and a new owner hires an actual president of baseball ops this franchise will be a joke 

Pretty sure Jay Cuda is about 30% of the White Sox analytics.

Edited by JoeC
  • Haha 2

Its a shame I was never given an  interview for the GM  job . I could turn this around and it wouldn't take 3-5 years. I would sign free agents Alonso, Soto and Santander this off season. That wouldn't be a bad start to turning this around.

Edited by WBWSF
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Its a shame I was never given an  interview for the GM  job . I could turn this around and it wouldn't take 3-5 years. I would sign free agents Alonso, Soto and Santander this off season. That wouldn't be a bad start to turning this around.

Whoever pays Santander $125ish million based on 2024 is going to regret it quickly.

4 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Except JR would never allow you to do that so the point is moot, or maybe it's a moo point, the point of view of a cow as Joey said on friends. 

Reusse: Pressure will be on Twins to spend money, but they should rebuild instead

It’s time to eschew the higher priced veterans and just fill up the lineup card with young players and prospects

https://www.startribune.com/patrick-reusse-column-twins-rebuild-derek-falvey-thad-levine-carlos-correa/601157332

Edited by caulfield12

Levine out as GM   Falvey/Baldelli to stay

Thad Levine Steps Down As Twins GM

The 2024 campaign ended in disappointment, however, with a 13-27 record over the final 40 games of the season pushing the Twins out of a playoff position and into fourth place in the AL Central. While injuries and underperformance played a big role in the team’s downfall, so did a slow offseason and quiet trade deadline, during which Falvey and Levine did little to improve the club. It’s difficult to say how much of the blame lies with the front office as opposed to ownership, which forced the team to cut payroll. Regardless, it’s not hard to see why Levine was ready to seek new opportunities elsewhere. It’s possible the Twins didn’t want him back either, but the press release presents it as Levine’s decision. Furthermore, one would think that if ownership and executive chairman Joe Pohlad were displeased with the direction of the team, Falvey would be looking for a new job as well. Both Falvey and Levine’s contacts were believed to be expiring at the end of the 2024 season.

Prior to joining the Twins, Levine spent several years as an assistant GM for the Rangers. More recently, he has pursued top decision-making jobs around the league; the Twins gave permission for him to interview with the Phillies in 2020 and the Red Sox in 2023. Other teams that have shown interest in Levine in the past include the Mets and Rockies. Interestingly, however, he ultimately took himself out of the running for all those jobs.

If Levine wants a new job in baseball, it doesn’t seem as if he’d have any trouble landing one. He will surely be a candidate for any “chief decision-maker” openings around the league. It’s less clear if he would be interested in taking on another job where he would only be second-in-command, such as with the Giants. San Francisco is looking for a GM to replace Pete Putila and work under new president of baseball operations Buster Posey. For what it’s worth, the fact that Levine chose to remain underneath Falvey for so long – despite other opportunities – suggests he prioritizes his work environment over his status. Perhaps the Giants’ larger payroll will convince him to give the Bay Area a try.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/10/thad-levine-steps-down-as-twins-gm.html

Edited by caulfield12

https://twinsdaily.com/forums/topic/68582-are-the-twins-cheaper-now-compared-to-the-metrodome-days/

Why not just take your $2-3 billion, and exit the baseball ownership business  ........... Complete the sale. Bring in an owner who cares.  Pass them off to someone willing to run the organization like it’s a multi-billion professional sports organization, not like a 1985 family-run business with an uncertain financial future."

Edited by caulfield12

Multiple team sources with knowledge of the situation insist the Twins do not plan further payroll cuts for 2025 and that spending will remain around $130 million, but Pohlad’s refusal to say it on the record is reason for skepticism. And really, “next season’s payroll won’t drop any further” is just a positive way to spin “this season’s payroll drop is the new normal.”

During the Twins’ final five seasons at the Metrodome, their payroll was 23 percent lower than the average MLB team. Fifteen years and one taxpayer-funded ballpark later, their 2024 payroll was … 24 percent lower than MLB average. And if the 2025 payroll stays around $130 million while the league as a whole increases, they’ll actually fall below Metrodome-era spending.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5809110/2024/10/03/minnesota-twins-payroll-offseason-moves/

Basically argues that there's almost zero payroll flexibility carrying Correa Buxton Lopez and trying to fit the remainder of the roster in at the projected $130 million.

Edited by caulfield12