Terry Francona reportedly hired by Reds

Sleepy Harold

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

Funny how both Central divisions the owners that are like that. The sad thing the worst cheapass is in the large market.

The Reds and Pirates always look competitive until..............the trade deadline. 

Everyone makes the comp with Sox and Seattle, but the love/hate relationship in Minnesota with the Pohlads feels a big closer and more Midwestern.   How they ended up cutting payroll after a playoff victory last year...well the excuses were all about the RSN situation.

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

Are you Jerry Reinsdorf?

I wish, Chet....No, I am just an ordinary fan of the greatest baseball franchise of all time, The Brooklyn Dodgers The Chicago White Sox.....Great season ticket packages still available for 2025 See ya at the ballpark.

Edited by wegner
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Yep. It's such a boring narrative. Plenty of good people would take this job. The problem is the Sox don't hire the right one.

Last time Jeremy Haber was part of the interview team.  This time Jim Thome is part of the team.  That's about as big of an upgrade as they could get.

Edited by Harold's Leg Lift

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

There are more good people than good jobs.  I think our odds are good if we go outside the organization.

2 hours ago, PaleAleSox said:

Yep. It's such a boring narrative. Plenty of good people would take this job. The problem is the Sox don't hire the right one.

It’s also a career killer.

The only hope is that you get some complete unknown who has an absurdly meticulous nature, but for whatever reason was not given a chance anywhere else. Somebody that would change every single aspect of the team.

That’s a one-in-a-million chance.

What you’ll actually get is some career coach with no other chances (Grifol) or someone like Sizemore who has no downside because he didn’t even have a job in the recent past and nobody expects anything from him.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Last time Jeremy Haber was part of the interview team.  This time Jim Thome is part of the team.  That's about as big of an upgrade as they could get.

How exactly is Thome such a big upgrade?  What has he done that makes him such a better interviewer?  Is he bringing the big Jim AOL chats?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Johno said:

Any thought of going into the college ranks and finding a coach.   The baseball coach  from university of Tennessee would be an interesting candidate.   Younger, outgoing also runs a good program.

They’re getting paid a lot more than big league coaches right now on average…plus more job security.

2 hours ago, Johno said:

Any thought of going into the college ranks and finding a coach.   The baseball coach  from university of Tennessee would be an interesting candidate.   Younger, outgoing also runs a good program.

Tony Vitello also just signed an extension for 3M per a bit more than a month ago. https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/tennessee-tony-vitello-agree-on-record-five-year-contract-extension/

With that being said, I don't hate the idea of bringing in a candidate or two from the college ranks just to pick their brains.

On 10/4/2024 at 9:01 AM, Bob Sacamano said:

I’m sure we thought that when they hired Grifol.

What was missing in the was he came from a habitually losing organization.  Local media tried to prop him up for the two world series appearances but failed to see the lack of sustained success.  I never liked the hire because it was a Royal.   Don't think Getz had nothing to do with that hire.