Orioles might need an ace

zisk

8 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I can't do another offseason of arguing about whether the O's will trade anything of value. They won't. If I'm gonna fantasize, I'd rather fantasize about Crochet going to Boston for Roman Anthony. 

yeah i want him to go to Boston but not sure they clean out their system given where they're at currently.  Boston and Baltimore is my preference just based on the prospects I think match up best for us

Boston isn’t rebuilding to turn around and empty out their farm system…especially when in 2024 you just made a lot of progress.

Crochet should be the type of pitcher you do that for when you are just a player or two away from a great team.

Wong Raffaela Duran Devers Casas and then you add Anthony and Mayer.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

At least the Cease trade was just mediocre.  The Fletcher and Vargas trades were highway robbery.

lol, you’re so dramatic. Cristian Mena isn’t even a T10 prospect in a below average Dbacks system and he ended the season injured.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

lol, you’re so dramatic. Cristian Mena isn’t even a T10 prospect in a below average Dbacks system and he ended the season injured.

Mena is the #12 prospect for the Diamondbacks but it’s still more of a reflection on Fletcher than Mena.  However, would you trade Bryan Ramos for Fletcher?  Ramos is currently the White Sox #12 prospect.

Getz acquired a bad fourth outfielder.  Those guys are almost free all day long.  You should be able to develop and call up that type of role.  Trading anything of value for that role is terrible.  We now have a 27-year old scrub that hits like Nicky Lopez taking up a roster spot to go along with Vargas who can’t play a position OR hit.  Two bad players who will likely be on the roster the majority of next season just because Getz traded for them.  Bad trades and awful roster management.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Trading Mena wasn't even the problem with the trade.  It was targeting Fletcher, and then refusing to play him for most of the season to see if he could play through whatever his problem was.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

At least the Cease trade was just mediocre.  The Fletcher and Vargas trades were highway robbery.

Christian Mena continues to be the most over hyped prospect without ever actually producing on the field. 

Don’t get me wrong, I get that Fletcher has little, if any, value…but robbery implies that you gave something up of value. We’ll see if Mena ever adds value to a major league roster 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Christian Mena continues to be the most over hyped prospect without ever actually producing on the field. 

Don’t get me wrong, I get that Fletcher has little, if any, value…but robbery implies that you gave something up of value. We’ll see if Mena ever adds value to a major league roster 

But the point is that Mena did have trade value and could have been used to acquire someone other than a fourth outfielder.

Where would Mena rank among Sox pitching prospects? 10th? He certainly isn’t top 5. Moving him was the right call. Choosing Fletcher as the return was where they shanked it. They should trade pitching this offseason, but they need to get actual hitting back.

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

Where would Mena rank among Sox pitching prospects? 10th? He certainly isn’t top 5. Moving him was the right call. Choosing Fletcher as the return was where they shanked it. They should trade pitching this offseason, but they need to get actual hitting back.

Conversely if you took Eder Nastrini Thorpe Bush and traded that package of all four together...how much is that really worth around mlb?

Schultz Smith Taylor Cannon Burke...maybe Iriarte.

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

But the point is that Mena did have trade value and could have been used to acquire someone other than a fourth outfielder.

And what value was that? At best you were trading him for the hitting version of himself…a lotto ticket that hasn’t realized any minor league success. Every organization has 5 Mena’s, never was, nor ever will be, a legit prospect. Takeout the undeserved early promotions and no one cares about Mena 

4 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

And what value was that? At best you were trading him for the hitting version of himself…a lotto ticket that hasn’t realized any minor league success. Every organization has 5 Mena’s, never was, nor ever will be, a legit prospect. Takeout the undeserved early promotions and no one cares about Mena 

Jake McCarthy would have been a better return.

30 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Jake McCarthy would have been a better return.

Even then...they desperately need 3-5 fWAR caliber players.  McCarthy has always been closer to a fourth outfielder than a star.  To dramatically alter the downward trajectory of the franchise.

54 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Conversely if you took Eder Nastrini Thorpe Bush and traded that package of all four together...how much is that really worth around mlb?

Schultz Smith Taylor Cannon Burke...maybe Iriarte.

Thorpe was the major part of getting Juan Soto to the Yankees. Mena is just not that big of a prospect. I mean, he's no Mason Adams. 

14 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Thorpe was the major part of getting Juan Soto to the Yankees. Mena is just not that big of a prospect. I mean, he's no Mason Adams. 

But he's also hurt...and there are increasing questions about his FB viability.

Michael King and Higashioka were the real keys to that trade.  SD wouldn't trade King for five Thorpes right now.

29 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Even then...they desperately need 3-5 fWAR caliber players.  McCarthy has always been closer to a fourth outfielder than a star.  To dramatically alter the downward trajectory of the franchise.

If Jake McCarthy is a fourth OF, Fletcher is a seventh OF

• Haha 1