2024 Playoffs - NLCS/ALCS

On 10/5/2024 at 8:47 AM, caulfield12 said:

Saw someone at ESPN wagering site touting the Royals over NY but it's just hard to imagine.

Still think a team sitting for six full days now like CLE is at such a disadvantage.

Pretty simple. Judge and Soto vs. Witt, Perez , Vinnie and Melendez for KC. Yankees barely win despite lousy outing from Cole at home. Royals get squeezed by ump? Walking too many and the bad call at 2B. If Yankees lose Game 2 Royals win the series. Their pitching is much better than NYY.

Posted (edited)

Crazy start to Padres/Dodgers...

Dodgers must feel they've left three runs out there already.

SD has keep adding on because LA offense just grinds you to death.

Tatis (8/12) having an MVP caliber post season if SD actually prevails...also a highlight reel robbery of Freeman in right.

Edited by caulfield12

Posted (edited)

Pitching match-ups get really interesting from here on out:

Buehler vs. Michael King, G3

Likely London Knack/bullpen vs. bullpen/Cease on 3 days' rest

Yamamoto/Flaherty vs. Darvish on 3 days' rest/Cease if he's not pushed to G4 at Dodger Stadium 

1. They most importantly got the win
  2. If it’s even possible they’re even closer as teammates after going through tonight
  3. Their offense got going (and in the power department)
  4. Yu Darvish was phenomenal, which is huge with Joe Musgrove out
  5. The Dodgers and their fans poked the bear

As we’ve seen this year, poking the bear hasn’t worked out great for the opponent so hopefully that trend continues the rest of this series.

I can assure you the Padres won’t forget about Shohei Ohtani throwing the bat towards their dugout. Or Jack Flaherty cursing at Manny Machado. Or Dodger fans throwing baseballs at them.

“A hostile environment,” Mike Shildt said postgame on tonight’s environment. “What I got out of it was a bunch of dudes that showed up in front of a big, hostile crowd with stuff being thrown at them and said, ‘We’re going to talk with our play; we’re not going to back down; we’re going to elevate our game; we’re going to be together; and we’re going to take care of business.”

gaslampball.com

Edited by caulfield12

15 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Machado and Flaherty want to fight.

The entire outfield bleachers vs. Tatis and Profar lol...?

Not really fair to Darvish here to make him wait so long on the mound. 

Sports have become less professional and more barbaric.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

Sports have become less professional and more barbaric.

That rivalry right now is like a powder keg...suddenly got real two seasons ago, and Dodgers' fans must be nervous about suffering the same fate for three consecutive seasons.

Still no excuse, though.

Posted (edited)

Crazy after Oct heartbreak the previous inning.

One too many sliders from Clase...even at 9-94 it must have looked like 84 after 100 mph heat.

Jason Benetti couldn't have forecast a scenario like this in his wildest imagination...

Edited by caulfield12

Can't imagine the national t.v. ratings if it was actually the Royals vs. CLE/DET...in some ways, it would prove yet once again that mid and small market teams can still be viable.

As long as they get any team from the NL other than SD, I imagine MLB would be satisfied, and even the Padres have enough superstars and the whole one of five teams out there without a World Series title thing to make their story compelling, plus the owner's death and cutting payroll pretty dramatically (especially in the face of how much the Dodgers spent on Yamamoto Ohtani Glasnow Teoscar).

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Can't imagine the national t.v. ratings if it was actually the Royals vs. CLE/DET...in some ways, it would prove yet once again that mid and small market teams can still be viable.

As long as they get any team from the NL other than SD, I imagine MLB would be satisfied, and even the Padres have enough superstars and the whole one of five teams out there without a World Series title thing to make their story compelling, plus the owner's death and cutting payroll pretty dramatically (especially in the face of how much the Dodgers spent on Yamamoto Ohtani Glasnow Teoscar).

No one should care about baseball TV ratings. We have been over this.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

No one should care about baseball TV ratings. We have been over this.

Yes, the increased "regionalization" of the sport, versus back in the 1950's and 60's and even early 70's when radio and network tv broadcasts dominated the airwaves.

There's just never going to be a comeback for baseball in the James Earle Jones "Field of Dreams" speech sense where its part of the very fabric of America like the NFL has been for the last thirty years or so.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

This is insane. The Royals lost 106 games last year and are going to be playing for the ALCS next week after taking care of the ridiculous Yankees who do not have what it takes. Both the Royals and Yankees have some horrible hitters on their teams and horrible pitchers as well. This again makes me laugh at the Sox ineptitude. The Sox never needed to tank and don't need to rebuild now. Get a good manager and get some non-awful players and make the darn playoffs.

Look at KC and Yankee rosters. They are FLAWED just like the Sox. A 106 loss team is ready to play for the AL title. My gosh.

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

This is insane. The Royals lost 106 games last year and are going to be playing for the ALCS next week after taking care of the ridiculous Yankees who do not have what it takes. Both the Royals and Yankees have some horrible hitters on their teams and horrible pitchers as well. This again makes me laugh at the Sox ineptitude. The Sox never needed to tank and don't need to rebuild now. Get a good manager and get some non-awful players and make the darn playoffs.

Look at KC and Yankee rosters. They are FLAWED just like the Sox. A 106 loss team is ready to play for the AL title. My gosh.

Greg I still wouldn't bet my house but KC on paper at least has the advantage.

Will they sell out both games?

KC didn't finish that much ahead of the White Sox in attendance after all.  It's really a Chiefs town now if it wasn't already.

1/4 or 1/3 of fans will cheer for NY.

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

It’s wild how good the Central is this season outside of the Sox. Reminds me of the NFC North.