2024 Playoffs - NLCS/ALCS

"Jose Ramírez met with local media to talk about his performance against Detroit that day when he was asked about the team's new outfielder. But the news had broken while he was on the field. He didn’t know the Guardians traded for anyone. When he was told it was Thomas, he paused, trying to remember which team he was from.

“The Nationals,” he was reminded.

“Ah, yes. Good player,” Ramírez said in English.

"Lane Thomas was it when it came to the offense at the Trade Deadline. He was the same type of high-contact guy that the Guardians have coveted in their organization for years now. His success against lefties was intriguing. His ability to tap into power would be icing on the cake. He seemed like someone who perfectly embodied the Guards Ball style of play. Cleveland knew this would be the right match. It just took a little longer than anticipated to prove it.

In his first 25 games with the Guardians, Thomas hit just .145 with a .430 OPS. Prior to the trade, he had been back in action for merely a month after spraining his left knee earlier in the season. From trying to get his feet back under him to getting acclimated to a new environment to experiencing a hefty slump for a club that traded for you to improve its offense, the weight of the world was on Thomas’ shoulders."

https://www.mlb.com/news/lane-thomas-starred-with-guardians-after-trade

Edited by caulfield12

Not sure what Cleveland has in terms of pitching as I don't follow baseball anymore cept for the Sox. And I know the Royals a bit after finally going to two playoff games.

If Cleveland can contain Soto/Judge (and Judge looks lost right now) I take the Tribe. I'm thinking five games but I have no facts to back that up. All I know is the Yankees hitters take too many pitches and don't score runs anymore. They have so many lousy hitters. I'll take a Cleveland-LAD World Series. I would say bet the house, but I'd at least bet one month's rent.

I would say the Yankee set up man and closer were good versus KC. In this day and age I don't know how reliable relievers will be series to series. I wonder if NYY will go with Cole in game one. That'd be weird to have him pitch again after pitching the clincher in KC.

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Not sure what Cleveland has in terms of pitching as I don't follow baseball anymore cept for the Sox. And I know the Royals a bit after finally going to two playoff games.

If Cleveland can contain Soto/Judge (and Judge looks lost right now) I take the Tribe. I'm thinking five games but I have no facts to back that up. All I know is the Yankees hitters take too many pitches and don't score runs anymore. They have so many lousy hitters. I'll take a Cleveland-LAD World Series. I would say bet the house, but I'd at least bet one month's rent.

I would say the Yankee set up man and closer were good versus KC. In this day and age I don't know how reliable relievers will be series to series. I wonder if NYY will go with Cole in game one. That'd be weird to have him pitch again after pitching the clincher in KC.

Already announced Rodon vs. Cobb in G1.

Bibee vs. Cole G2 on Tuesday.

• Quin changed the title to 2024 Playoffs - NLCS/ALCS

Ok, so if I get this right: Cuban born infielders that the Red Sox sign and trade to the White Sox* can record bops.

The difference? Desastre Personal is a despondent love song (lyric wise). OMG is an aspirational. OMG is fueling the f*** out of the Mets.

*Sox had Iglesias but traded him for Avi in the Peavy trade.

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Carlos Rodon redeeming himself for his last playoff start against the Royals...

Cobb starting a G1 for CLE just doesn't compute.

It’s amazing to me how most of these teams have worse starting rotations in October than the 2024 White Sox. You’re telling me these teams couldn’t use Crochet right now?? The Yankees are the only team with an actual 1-4 rotation full of starting pitchers and certainly seem to be the most complete team. The rest are cobbling together guys like Cobb, Brasier, etc. What is this???

13 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It’s amazing to me how most of these teams have worse starting rotations in October than the 2024 White Sox. You’re telling me these teams couldn’t use Crochet right now?? The Yankees are the only team with an actual 1-4 rotation full of starting pitchers and certainly seem to be the most complete team. The rest are cobbling together guys like Cobb, Brasier, etc. What is this???

Knack the starter there.  Brasier always an opener/reliever.

27 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Knack the starter there.  Brasier always an opener/reliever.

Landon Knack, the 27 year old rookie with the 4.72 FIP this year? Not sure that’s any better. And at least Crochet could give you 4 innings as an opener. Most of these starters are barely capable of doing that.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

4 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

So many injuries to the Dodgers rotation.

5 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Isn’t the lesson here that yes they could use Crochet but in the playoffs today no single starting pitcher is a true difference maker any more? And that instead, it’s more useful to have a deep bench of guys who can give two innings in a bullpen game or after a starter gets pulled in the 4th inning?