ALDS/NLDS

caulfield12

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Greg I still wouldn't bet my house but KC on paper at least has the advantage.

Will they sell out both games?

KC didn't finish that much ahead of the White Sox in attendance after all.  It's really a Chiefs town now if it wasn't already.

1/4 or 1/3 of fans will cheer for NY.

Oh no Caulfield you read this wrong. I appreciate your posts but KC is going crazy. The atmosphere will be different from all other playoff games so far. Yankee Stadium was a morgue last night. KC is going nuts. It'll both be sold out with maniacal noise. No way the Yankees will have many fans making noise there. Hell they were dead in NY for the games. NYY is finished. They need Rizzo badly. That one guy can't even run, I think it's Cabrera. Soto is doing better than Judge but Judge is doing no damage and looks lost. The hack NY is starting in Game 3 will be rocked.

The Sox should be ashamed. Watching the last two games I saw a LOT of bad baseball hitters and pitchers. Baseball is in trouble with this kind of talent. KC goes from 106 losses to possible AL champs. Wow. Get it together White Sox. p.s. Pham is hitterish right now.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Quin said:

I sort of like the Grimace bit, I'm less keen on McDonald's defacing MTA property. That decal is at least a $75 fine, Ronald. He also appears to be standing in middle of the doorway, preventing the doors from closing, so now he's just made everyone late for work. That'll be another $100. Furthermore, I've heard of guys getting fined $100 for "showtime" and this seems like "showtime". Arguably public intoxication.

But seriously I hope McDonald's pays something to advertise on public property. You can charter an entire CTA train for under $4,000. if I'm the MTA's business development dick, I'm not letting Grimace on my train for under $10,000. I'd probably feel less strongly about all this if the McDonald's near my house still did that 'buy 1 get 1 free' deal on the quarter pounder. Totally absurd. I also just learned that it's possible to charter CTA trains and that it's reasonably affordable. I'm not sure what to do with this information, but I'm keeping it in mind.

Edited by nrockway

43 minutes ago, nrockway said:

I sort of like the Grimace bit, I'm less keen on McDonald's defacing MTA property. That decal is at least a $75 fine, Ronald. He also appears to be standing in middle of the doorway, preventing the doors from closing, so now he's just made everyone late for work. That'll be another $100. Furthermore, I've heard of guys getting fined $100 for "showtime" and this seems like "showtime". Arguably public intoxication.

But seriously I hope McDonald's pays something to advertise on public property. You can charter an entire CTA train for under $4,000. if I'm the MTA's business development dick, I'm not letting Grimace on my train for under $10,000. I'd probably feel less strongly about all this if the McDonald's near my house still did that 'buy 1 get 1 free' deal on the quarter pounder. Totally absurd. I also just learned that it's possible to charter CTA trains and that it's reasonably affordable. I'm not sure what to do with this information, but I'm keeping it in mind.

The second tweet is from an MTA employee that does digital communications.

This was a collaboration.

32 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Dodgers are rattled. 

And back in it again...bullpen game.

That line-up is just relentless when it's clicking on all cylinders.

Can't ask for much more than a 6-1 lead at home with your best 2nd half starter on the mound...against Buehler, who has struggled all season long in his return from TJS.

Edited by caulfield12

24 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Man the energy at Petco. I love playoff crowds.

Just watched Tatis hit that 2 run HR to make it 6-1 after 2.

Then Dodgers follow it up with  a Teoscar granny and reading Michael King's lips afterwards saying "f*** me".

Hard to leave this game but want to catch the Hawks opener.

On a side note. I watch Tatis and wonder if he had turned into the same player with the Sox how different things might be. Sox finally get a DR star which couldve opened the door to more ( I can dream).

Might've been a much different rebuild if they already had a budding superstar when Eloy,  Moncada and,Robert came aboard competing with Tatis to be the man.

50 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Just watched Tatis hit that 2 run HR to make it 6-1 after 2.

Then Dodgers follow it up with  a Teoscar granny and reading Michael King's lips afterwards saying "f*** me".

Hard to leave this game but want to catch the Hawks opener.

On a side note. I watch Tatis and wonder if he had turned into the same player with the Sox how different things might be. Sox finally get a DR star which couldve opened the door to more ( I can dream).

Might've been a much different rebuild if they already had a budding superstar when Eloy,  Moncada and,Robert came aboard competing with Tatis to be the man.

If you think it wasn't all about the money (it was), Tatis' presence was cited as the main reason that Machado wanted to sign in SD (versus the lowball offer from the Sox).

To me, it always felt like his drive to prove the White Sox wrong for trading him in the first place without even first seeing what he was capable of doing in an MiLB game was a pretty compelling reason for his eventual success.

Without that, unless he really had a strong mentor around (like Manny), and I'm not sure it was Abreu (compared to Grandal/Moncada/Eloy)...he much more likely ends up foundering like Luis Robert.  Because you already had Anderson at SS, and Moncada at 3b (well, I guess he was thought of more as 2B at the time Tatis was traded, so that would have had to sort itself out.

In theory he would have been moved to 2B/3B or the outfield with the Sox.

You'd have to imagine a universe where Tatis and Eloy excel and successfully recruit other Dominicans to the Sox.

Edited by caulfield12

Gutsy move walking a rookie in Merrill to face Bogaerts with a RISP.

This game went from insane early offense to an entrenched bullpen battle.

That's where Preller invested his trade assets, into Tanner Scott and Jason Adam (of course, Suarez at closer remains the biggest X factor for SD with how many leads he surrendered down the stretch).

Kopech time against the heart of the order.

About as high pressure at it gets.  Both teams' seasons on the line, seemingly.

Top of the 9th...must be absolutely crazy amped up there right now at PETCO

Muncy Smith Lux Edman (0-12 so far tonight, been ages since a clean Suarez inning)

Edited by caulfield12

Looks like SD has Cease listed as the G4 starter.

Martin Perez would be the other choice...G5 theoretically Darvish on short rest.

London Knack countering for LAD, probably...tough spot for a rookie starter with the weight of the world on his shoulders.

No idea who for G5, maybe Yamamoto but he just gave up 5 runs in his first playoff start.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

So far this postseason, Tatis is 10-for-18 with four home runs, seven RBI and a 2.151 OPS. His career 1.528 OPS in 36 postseason at-bats (including two series in 2020 against St. Louis and LAD) is the second-highest in MLB history, behind only that of former big-league outfielder Colby Rasmus.2 days ago.

4 1 1 2 0 0 .556 1.969
  • Like 1

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-playoffs-2024-padres-show-they-arent-intimidated-by-the-dodgers-or-anyone-else-in-nlds-game-3-victory-063924389.html

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/41665721/mlb-playoffs-2024-san-diego-padres-nlds-peter-seidler

For his postseason career, Tatis is 17-for-40 (.425) with six homers. The only players with more homers in their first 11 postseason games are Carlos Beltrán with eight while Daniel Murphy, B.J. Upton and Nomar Garciaparra each have seven. Tatis also has five homers lifetime vs. Buehler over the regular season and postseason combined.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Gutsy move walking a rookie in Merrill to face Bogaerts with a RISP.

This game went from insane early offense to an entrenched bullpen battle.

That's where Preller invested his trade assets, into Tanner Scott and Jason Adam (of course, Suarez at closer remains the biggest X factor for SD with how many leads he surrendered down the stretch).

MLB.com abuses the term “instant classic”.  They said that about this game.  I never once thought a game that was 6-1 after 2 was an “instant classic”.  Maybe I have higher standards.  Of course mlb.com has had about half a dozen instant classics this offseason …

1 hour ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

MLB.com abuses the term “instant classic”.  They said that about this game.  I never once thought a game that was 6-1 after 2 was an “instant classic”.  Maybe I have higher standards.  Of course mlb.com has had about half a dozen instant classics this offseason …

That Tigers' win over Clase was much closer to the definition.

I guess it was simply being a one run game for six consecutive innings...but neither team was really all that close to scoring after the third.

For Padres' fans that were mostly expecting Suarez to collapse again in a key moment...

41 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That Tigers' win over Clase was much closer to the definition.

I guess it was simply being a one run game for six consecutive innings...but neither team was really all that close to scoring after the third.

For Padres' fans that were mostly expecting Suarez to collapse again in a key moment...

They also used it the other day for the Castellanos game for the Phillies.  They used it in the first round in Milwaukee series, must have been for the game three home run.

20 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

They also used it the other day for the Castellanos game for the Phillies.  They used it in the first round in Milwaukee series, must have been for the game three home run.

Yeah the announcers are exaggerating, but at least they've mostly been good games. I took the dog out for a walk at 6-1 and said "crap I should have had the radio on" when I got back.

23 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah the announcers are exaggerating, but at least they've mostly been good games. I took the dog out for a walk at 6-1 and said "crap I should have had the radio on" when I got back.

Yeah I'm just taking issue with every close game being an instant classic.  Anyone remember the Phillies game from the other night?

48 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

They love the "save the Polar Bear" storyline in NYC...plus it  would be hilarious if the Mets surpassed the Yankees without intentionally attempting to compete this season.

Stearns just seems to have things go his way...shocker, I know.

8 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Yeah I'm just taking issue with every close game being an instant classic.  Anyone remember the Phillies game from the other night?

Can't believe Edwin Diaz's arm hasn't fallen off at this point.  Mendoza is really pushing that guy to the brink.

Also Kopech has come a long way from months ago with the Sox.