The trade ideas begin! Robert for Holliday ++

southsider2k5

17 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

This is not accurate.

Cease was originally expected to be a 1st round pick.  He tore his UCL his senior year of high school which allowed the Cubs to take him in the 6th round.  The Cubs drafted him and gave him a $1.5 million dollar signing bonus ($269,500 slot recommendation) knowing he would need TJ surgery.  The hype for Cease was always there.

At the time of the trade, Eloy was the Cubs #1 prospect and MLB’s #8 overall prospect, while Cease was the Cubs #2 prospect and MLB’s #63 overall prospect.  These trades pretty much don’t happen anymore, definitely not for a starter who wasn’t considered to be a sure-fire ace.

https://www.mlb.com/news/white-sox-trade-jose-quintana-for-4-players-c241975980

So the #63 prospect ended up having a tremendously more productive mlb career than the #8 prospect but yet it’s a sure thing Holliday will have a better mlb career than Justin Crawford? 🤷‍♂️ 

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yea... I never said don’t trade for top prospects. No idea where you got that from. I said I’d much prefer a package of 3-4 top prospects over the 1 “can’t miss” prospect.

More realistic is you'd take 3-4 pitching prospects over one can't miss one. And no, i'd take the can't miss one.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

So the #63 prospect ended up having a tremendously more productive mlb career than the #8 prospect but yet it’s a sure thing Holliday will have a better mlb career than Justin Crawford? 🤷‍♂️ 

Nothing is a sure thing.  And like I said before, perhaps if Eloy wasn’t a walking injury and wasn’t guaranteed millions almost immediately, he’d be an .850 OPS guy hitting 30+ homers a year right now.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

More realistic is you'd take 3-4 pitching prospects over one can't miss one. And no, i'd take the can't miss one.

Given where the Sox currently stand, yes, I’d take the collective group of Shultz, Smith, and Iriarte over Skenes

45 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Given where the Sox currently stand, yes, I’d take the collective group of Shultz, Smith, and Iriarte over Skenes

Is that really a fair comparison or analogy to the Phillies trade proposal you mentioned?  Schultz and Smith are rated higher than anyone in your Phillies proposal and are likely already expected to be near “sure-thing” starters in the MLB.  Perhaps not sure-fire bets to be absolute studs like Skenes, but definitely quality MLB starting pitchers with a Skenes-esque ceiling.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

52 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Nothing is a sure thing.  And like I said before, perhaps if Eloy wasn’t a walking injury and wasn’t guaranteed millions almost immediately, he’d be an .850 OPS guy hitting 30+ homers a year right now.

Are u implying if Eloy wasn't paid big bucks right away that he'd be good hitter? Lots of players get huge contract dollars and perform. I disagree with your premise. Eloy is just another player who can't/won't make it in the bigs. He ought to go to Japan and try and reinvent himself.