The trade ideas begin! Robert for Holliday ++

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

I would always choose getting quality over quantity. Trying to get quantity to get a quicker fix just ends up where we are now with a roster of mostly AAAA players. Adding quality players that you can build a roster around is a slower rebuild but offers a hope of more than loads of AAAA prospects who are a gamble and never quite make it.

With a different owner, I would agree. The problem is this owner won’t sign any worthwhile free agents so how do you intend to fill all these roster holes? 

Did the Nationals or Padres trade Soto for a single prospect? Did the Guardians trade Lindor for a single prospect? Did the Cubs trade Yu Darvish for a single prospect? I guess there’s no right or wrong answer but considering the complete lack of depth in the Sox org right now I strongly prefer the quantity route at this point in the rebuild. I’m not interested in a single player return for Crochet.

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

With a different owner, I would agree. The problem is this owner won’t sign any worthwhile free agents so how do you intend to fill all these roster holes? 

Did the Nationals or Padres trade Soto for a single prospect? Did the Guardians trade Lindor for a single prospect? Did the Cubs trade Yu Darvish for a single prospect? I guess there’s no right or wrong answer but considering the complete lack of depth in the Sox org right now I strongly prefer the quantity route at this point in the rebuild. I’m not interested in a single player return for Crochet.

Surely part of the reason the White Sox have no depth is that they have adopted the quantity over quality approach and none of the quantity prospects they have gambled on have reached MLB level. There is a difference between depth of talent and just depth of bodies filling out the farm but never really contributing to the MLB team. Let's face it they tried over 60 players this season so filling the roster was not a problem but finding quality was.

2 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Surely part of the reason the White Sox have no depth is that they have adopted the quantity over quality approach and none of the quantity prospects they have gambled on have reached MLB level. There is a difference between depth of talent and just depth of bodies filling out the farm but never really contributing to the MLB team. Let's face it they tried over 60 players this season so filling the roster was not a problem but finding quality was.

I’d contend the bigger problem has not been quantity vs quality but rather coaching/development. Until that’s addressed not much else works no matter what route they choose.

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’d contend the bigger problem has not been quantity vs quality but rather coaching/development. Until that’s addressed not much else works no matter what route they choose.

You just made an unintentional argument for acquiring Holliday.  Our coaching and development staff has not had a chance to besmirch him.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Agreed, that certainly applies to players the White Sox have drafted themselves as well, like Vaughn. If they had developed a few more of their own draft picks then we wouldn't be desperately trying to get everyone else's prospects. I struggle to think of the last position player who the Sox drafted themselves who has developed into a good MLB player (with the Sox).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Agreed, that certainly applies to players the White Sox have drafted themselves as well, like Vaughn. If they had developed a few more of their own draft picks then we wouldn't be desperately trying to get everyone else's prospects. I struggle to think of the last position player who the Sox drafted themselves who has developed into a good MLB player (with the Sox).

It's Tim Anderson. 

Drafted in 2013.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

It's Tim Anderson. 

Drafted in 2013.

That sums up how bad palyer development is because the Sox have had and wasted some high picks on position players in the last decade, think of first round picks Zak Collins, Jake Burger (although injuries played their part with him) Nick Madrigal and Andrew Vaughn. Even Colson Montgomery is not looking the sure fire player he was supposed to be. 

Edited by Chimpton

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

So what’s the answer? Hold Crochet, win 110 games over the next two seasons combined, and he leaves as A free agent?

Yeah, this right here.  Unless you are coming up with nine figures to give to me over the next 5 to 6 years (say $140ish for the next 5 years, somewhere around $175 for 6.) to buyout enough time for the Sox to be decent again with Crochet on the roster, you are pissing away a depreciating asset.

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You just made an unintentional argument for acquiring Holliday.  Our coaching and development staff has not had a chance to besmirch him.

Holliday is not a finished product judging by his defense at 2b and .566 OPS this season…

1 hour ago, Chimpton said:

So what’s the solution? Just continue to draft high ceiling arms in the early rounds and hope you can develop enough to fill out a rotation as well as flip some for established veteran position players? Because they do seem to develop pitchers better than average, it’s just the position player side of things has been horrific.