The trade ideas begin! Robert for Holliday ++

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And look how awesome the results were. 

We all knew it was a complete teardown. What results? We're historically bad and he fired the majority of the organization. Did you expect immediate results? Did you actually think we'd be improved? We actively traded everyone with value and signed a bunch of has been's and never were's hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.

I would agree that Getz was a bad hire, but using his first year, in which he's fired just about everybody, doesnt really prove anything. Of course we sucked, we were supposed to suck.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

We all knew it was a complete teardown. What results? We're historically bad and he fired the majority of the organization. Did you expect immediate results? Did you actually think we'd be improved? We actively traded everyone with value and signed a bunch of has been's and never were's hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.

I would agree that Getz was a bad hire, but using his first year, in which he's fired just about everybody, doesnt really prove anything. Of course we sucked, we were supposed to suck.

I think we got the immediate results of their new system. They tried to bring in their type of players, David Eckstein types, with leadership skills and the super important ability to beat up women without being suspended, and they thought this would fix a lot.

All those tell-all articles at the end of the season...the ones that made it clear no one in the organization has a clue what they're doing...they were about this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think we got the immediate results of their new system. They tried to bring in their type of players, David Eckstein types, with leadership skills and the super important ability to beat up women without being suspended, and they thought this would fix a lot.

All those tell-all articles at the end of the season...the ones that made it clear no one in the organization has a clue what they're doing...they were about this year.

They didn't bring in any "type of player." They signed a bunch of has been's that had a reputation for being decent clubhouse guys. "Their type of players" LMFAO

• Like 1

This sounds like an all-too-familiar argument around these parts...

Maybe hire someone from the Padres, up until today, every single thing they've done for the last calendar year has worked out exceedingly well.  And they've had a Top 3 Latin American operation, along with the Dodgers and Rangers.

You can EVEN see the the pitchers SD identified to bring in over past seasons, Manaea Lugo Wacha and Nick Martinez, three of those guys are pitching effectively into the postseason, and Michael King (slight blip tonight) was another one the Yankees definitely let get away (while paying the likes of Carlos Rodon a lot more than King in the process.)

Balta will like this, the ONLY pitcher who really "failed" in SD among starters acquired was Clevinger (and he pitched well for most of 2022 until the NLCS), and that was one of the biggest bust trades of the AJ Preller career transactions list.

PS  DRAFT/SIGN guys who can play C/SS/CF and 2B (at least 2 of those 4 spots)...with up the middle levels of athleticism, then, if you have to, put them on the corners where they will be overall pluses from a defensive standpoint.

2 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Isn't that what Getz is doing? He's fired a ton over people over the last 6 months.

Possibly, but for it to be truly top to bottom the man at the very top needs to change because otherwise the whole ethos of the organisation will not change and whoever gets brought in to replace the people fired will be limited in their ability to change things. Also with the current reputation of the organisation as at best disfunctional will the people they get in to replace the ones fired be any good?

The trouble for Getz is that he lost any faith in his capabilities during this last season. If he had said at the beginning that this was going to be a slow process that required the organisation to undergo major surgery most people would have agreed and given him some leeway. But the nonsense about not wanting to waste a season and challenging again quickly, followed by this last season has lost Getz any faith people had in his abilities as a GM, and let's face it that faith wasn't great to begin with.

9 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

We're starting from below rock bottom, and no GM of any value is walking through that door. You can either accept that this is going to take forever, or cry all day and s%*# on every Sox prospect that comes through the system. I won't be the one talking s%*# about all those players. 

Yes.  You keep telling us how we should all think.  Thanks for that.

10 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Even Getz basically said, "man, I thought we'd lose 110, not 121. LOL. We can only get better from here."

If that's what he really though then Getz and JR flat out lied to everyone before the season even started because not once did they ever say anything about rebuilding or expecting to be a 110 loss team until the train went off the rails.

So its hard for me to cut him any breaks when it was all improving the defense so pitchers wanna play here and competing in the central blah blah talk they spewed out in the off-season. If in reality, they put together and expected a 110 loss team, then they lied to the fan base for no reason and even on top of that made a bunch of stupid moves that didn't align at all with expecting to lose 110 games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, T R U said:

If that's what he really though then Getz and JR flat out lied to everyone before the season even started because not once did they ever say anything about rebuilding or expecting to be a 110 loss team until the train went off the rails.

So its hard for me to cut him any breaks when it was all improving the defense so pitchers wanna play here and competing in the central blah blah talk they spewed out in the off-season. If in reality, they put together and expected a 110 loss team, then they lied to the fan base for no reason and even on top of that made a bunch of stupid moves that didn't align at all with expecting to lose 110 games.

And if they thought they had a roster bad enough to lose 110, it shouldn’t be a surprise when they lose 120.

39 minutes ago, T R U said:

This too.  Either they lied to us in the offseason for our money, or Getz just lied to us during the season.  Either way, it doesn't make me excited to give them any of my money.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This too.  Either they lied to us in the offseason for our money, or Getz just lied to us during the season.  Either way, it doesn't make me excited to give them any of my money.

In his introductory press conference, Getz spoke about competing in the AL Central.

He only talked about rebuilding once the entire league was beating their ass cause he's a wildly incompetent GM.

• Like 2

Going into the season with that completely inexperienced bullpen and just two strong defenders (if healthy) in Robert and Moncada was already doomed to fail if you simply went by health histories.

It seems they were counting on another Santos-like breakthrough from the youngsters like Measure and never got it.

Otoh....look at what the Detroit Cleveland and even KC pens did this year.

They were true strengths for all three of those teams down the stretch.

None of them were close to being "the most expensive bullpens in the history of the game." 

(And then we overspent on jerks like Kelly and Graveman that didn't even want to be here in the first place. Kimbrel never fit either.)

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Going into the season with that completely inexperienced bullpen and just two strong defenders (if healthy) in Robert and Moncada was already doomed to fail if you simply went by health histories.

It seems they were counting on another Santos-like breakthrough from the youngsters like Measure and never got it.

Otoh....look at what the Detroit Cleveland and even KC pens did this year.

They were true strengths for all three of those teams down the stretch.

None of them were close to being "the most expensive bullpens in the history of the game." 

(And then we overspent on jerks like Kelly and Graveman that didn't even want to be here in the first place. Kimbrel never fit either.)

The White Sox were 10-42 Vs. the AL Central this year and put up a whopping .216 / .272 / .608 slash line as a team in those 52 games.

Its crazy to think how different the MLB landscape is this season if there wasn't a little league team playing in it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

We're starting from below rock bottom, and no GM of any value is walking through that door. You can either accept that this is going to take forever, or cry all day and s%*# on every Sox prospect that comes through the system. I won't be the one talking s%*# about all those players. 

I keep seeing you say different variations of this, like you feel like you are better than this site because you refuse to call a bad player a bad player.  Very strange 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

14 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

But didn't he fire 'almost everyone' during and after the 121 losses not before, and didn't he say that a complete rebuild wasn't needed and that they were aiming to compete this season before the season began?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

But didn't he fire 'almost everyone' during and after the 121 losses not before, and didn't he say that a complete rebuild wasn't needed and that they were aiming to compete this season before the season began?

Getz was hired because he already knew the organization and JR didn't want to waste a year, yet, it took him almost all year to fire a lot of these guys who we already knew sucked at their jobs. Which again tells me that in no way, shape, or form did they expect to be a 110 loss team. Everyone got fired because you simply cannot keep your job when you are the worst team in this sports history.

Look anywhere in sports, 99.9% of the time a new GM comes in it gets gutted and replaced with their guys top to bottom with the occasional guys who stay on. The White Sox promote a guy who was already here and should know damn well who shouldn't have a job and heads don't start rolling until the massive black eye of the worst season in sports history starts swelling.

You think all these people get fired if the team goes 75-87? Yeah right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chimpton said:

And if they really did expect to be this bad, everyone did what was expected of them, so why are they getting fired?

• Like 1

Certainly the juxtaposition of lower budgeted Detroit/Benetti, Cleveland and KC getting so much national airtime isn't helping matters for Getz.

The only team that came into 2024 spending a bit more than the White Sox in the AL Central was Minnesota, and they're still MUCH better off than the White Sox, but currently considering a rebuild nevertheless.

5 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I keep seeing you say different variations of this, like you feel like you are better than this site because you refuse to call a bad player a bad player.  Very strange 

I don't think it's very strange to not spend my time shitting on people who are doing the best they can do. It's just being a decent human. I don't hate Nicky Lopez because he's bad at baseball. I hate Nicky Lopez because he's from Naperville.

42 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I don't think it's very strange to not spend my time shitting on people who are doing the best they can do. It's just being a decent human. I don't hate Nicky Lopez because he's bad at baseball. I hate Nicky Lopez because he's from Naperville.

Oh even better, self-righteous preachings.   I am not quite sure why you are down here in these depths or even here associating with all of us normal people.