Managerial “Search”

Rey21

Haven’t seen one formed - figured I’d start one.

Heyman reported that Phil Nevin and Will Venable are a couple names on a “long list” of candidates for the job. I’d be ecstatic for Venable but zero shot he comes to Chicago, I’d be pumped for a Skip Shumaker also. Inevitably I think it’ll be an outside hire whom none of us expected. 

Edited by Rey21

24 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

the manager for the next 2-3 years will make no difference whatsoever. getz has to know this 

Likely not a ton in the win column, but the right hire can make a tremendous difference on individuals breaking into the league. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

It makes a lot of difference. 

And it’s really only one of a short few of things that we can look forward to analyzing the hell out of this off-season. 😆

Its gonna be a LONG one.

4 hours ago, joejoesox said:

the manager for the next 2-3 years will make no difference whatsoever. getz has to know this 

The manager could make a difference between a historically bad 121 loss season and just a bad 100 loss season. Equally the manager could help start to change the clubhouse atmosphere and help younger players develop. You just need to look at Grifol and how little he did to help the younger players develop. Yes, the manager will make little difference in terms of get to postseason or anything like that but the nexy manager needs to be the right person or this decline could be terminal if the culture of the club doesn't change.

• Like 1

I'm not sold on any manager, for any team, being worth 20 wins. I'm also not sold on our next manager having significant impact on player development. The rest of the organization will have their thumbprint all over whose on the roster and how much they play.

We will get someone with little (Grady) or no MLB managing experience. They will be learning on the job and "growing" with the team. They will also be fired to appease the fans after two or three seasons. With little experience, and tiny pay, they are vulnerable and will do whatever Getz and Co. "suggest" to them. 

The coaching staff, of which they will have little or no say in the hiring will have a greater impact. 

For better (hopefully) or worse (likely) this will be Getz's fantasy team playing for real. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, joejoesox said:

I think AJ Hinch has made a big difference on that Tigers team (ironically, he shouldve been the Sox mgr instead of TLR). Detroit has no business being 1 win away from the ALCS. He should get a lot of credit for that. The right manager can absolutely make a difference over time. And if they really want to start changing the makeup of this organization, they need to start now, and the new manager should be an indicator of what kind of team they are trying to build for the future.

Edited by ScootsMcGoots
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I'm not sold on any manager, for any team, being worth 20 wins. I'm also not sold on our next manager having significant impact on player development. The rest of the organization will have their thumbprint all over whose on the roster and how much they play.

We will get someone with little (Grady) or no MLB managing experience. They will be learning on the job and "growing" with the team. They will also be fired to appease the fans after two or three seasons. With little experience, and tiny pay, they are vulnerable and will do whatever Getz and Co. "suggest" to them. 

The coaching staff, of which they will have little or no say in the hiring will have a greater impact. 

For better (hopefully) or worse (likely) this will be Getz's fantasy team playing for real. 

Really? Because I think Grifol cost a minimum of 20 games this year. I'm not saying this team wasn't awful but he definitely help thrust them towards historically awful. 

• Like 1

Very important hire, have to try and establish a culture, doesn’t necessarily need to equate to wins right away but with all the young players they need someone who can build a foundation and hopefully grow with the players too

I'm fascinated by how the best run orgs do so well at hiring.

The Royals, with new owner, get put in the same situation as our clown show, let Grifol go and hire Quatraro. He works with their young players and helps turn them around.

The sox hire Tony LaRussa, a retired, old out of touch manager who was completely wrong for the team. The astros hire Dusty, a retired older manager who was the perfect steady hand for that team. The Mets hired Buck Showalter, a kick in the butt who had mellowed out and got them an exciting year after underperforming for a few.

We will sit here and look for a profile we like. But for these roles like GM, like manager, the interviews and reputation and set-up they have matters a lot. Whomever they hire, we have to assume he sucks, because Jerry Reinsdorf believed he would be good. That's called updating our priors, I think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

I think AJ Hinch has made a big difference on that Tigers team (ironically, he shouldve been the Sox mgr instead of TLR). Detroit has no business being 1 win away from the ALCS. He should get a lot of credit for that. The right manager can absolutely make a difference over time. And if they really want to start changing the makeup of this organization, they need to start now, and the new manager should be an indicator of what kind of team they are trying to build for the future.

Or look at what a largely inexperienced Vogt has done in Cleveland, after 2023.

One game away from the ALCS as well with that starting lineup after Ramirez Kwan Naylor and replacing Bieber and McKenzie due to injury/ineffectiveness, Quantrill, Civale, etc. almost an entirely brand new rotation other than Bibee/Allen/Williams.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, PaleAleSox said:

Did you just watch the train going off the tracks with Grifol? Are you watching what Hinch is doing? It matters.

Think he mights it doesn’t make that much of a difference. It’s still going to be a bad team. Yes, having Hinch over TLR would have made sense when they made that choice but getting a great manager now with the roster how it is honestly doesn’t matter. Maybe, 5-10 more wins? Still dogshit.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, joejoesox said:

Obviously no one is going to be able to turn bad players into good players, but a manager can definitely bring a culture shift to the locker room and dugout. That’s really the most important part, bringing in someone that is going to change the way this team has been doing things for a decade +. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chimpton said:

The manager could make a difference between a historically bad 121 loss season and just a bad 100 loss season. Equally the manager could help start to change the clubhouse atmosphere and help younger players develop. You just need to look at Grifol and how little he did to help the younger players develop. Yes, the manager will make little difference in terms of get to postseason or anything like that but the nexy manager needs to be the right person or this decline could be terminal if the culture of the club doesn't change.

A manager is not getting this team 21 wins.

13 hours ago, Lyle Moooton said:

Likely not a ton in the win column, but the right hire can make a tremendous difference on individuals breaking into the league. 

The problem is I am not even sure there are more than 4 or 5 people on this roster who will have even a decent major league career.  We are filled with filler.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

They aren't even in the playoffs without starting off 10-1 vs the White Sox.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

A manager matters, but not 21 wins.

I think what sucks is because we get a manager search every few years we still hold out hope that we'll find some guy that can perform some bottom-up transformation. But I kinda think even if we had hired AJ Hinch, he's not that good of a manager without executing for a smart front office (see his first years).