Managerial “Search”

Rey21

2 hours ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

Except, this is exactly how Grifol sounded when he was hired. Said all the right things, sounded professional before he stepped into the dugout. Continually talked about being smart and well-prepared. He proved to be the exact opposite of that. Turned out to be one of the worst managers in the history of the team in just 2 years time.

Yeah the dichotomy between Grifol in the press conference and in the dugout is staggering.

As an easy to follow example he said he wanted to get Moncada’s walk rate up. Moncada immediately had the lowest walk rate of his career.

How the Hell does that happen?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Just hope they don't recycle Joe McEwing or Jose Oquendo from the ex-Cardinals list.

Can someone actually conceive of a White Sox identity and not simply adhere to the Cardinals' Way because you need your own organizational vision, something that's original and not derivative.

I can conceive of a White Sox identity,  it's just not a good one.

• Paper Bag 1

22 hours ago, JoeC said:

The one area that Getz seems to be competent is in making personnel hires. I don't have high expectations, but I'm less frightened by the idea that Getz would pick his own guy.

Look at the roster Getz assembled in 2024. Even if Getz lucks into a great on-paper hire, it's not going to make a bit of different with the "talent" on the roster.

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

Look at the roster Getz assembled in 2024. Even if Getz lucks into a great on-paper hire, it's not going to make a bit of different with the "talent" on the roster.

MLBTR has the Sox offseason outlook up. They had all their arb eligible players except for Crochet as non tender candidates. That's development. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Yeah, the won-loss record in 2025 is going to be a trainwreck anyways, so I’m looking at the manager as someone who:

1. Will contribute to player growth / development (for younger players)

2. Will let veterans (read: “scrap heap pickups”) do what they need to but hold them accountable for performance

Basically the goal is for the young players to be able to develop, and for the veterans to be able to play well enough to be flipped for assets.

I don’t completely lack confidence in Getz’s ability to do that.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Yeah, the won-loss record in 2025 is going to be a trainwreck anyways, so I’m looking at the manager as someone who:

2. Will let veterans (read: “scrap heap pickups”) do what they need to but hold them accountable for performance

Basically the goal is for the young players to be able to develop, and for the veterans to be able to play well enough to be flipped for assets.

I too hope these things hold true, but you have far more confidence in Getz than I do.

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

Sounds like a perfect job for Renteria.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

If I were a candidate with any resume at all I'd demand big bucks and a five-year contract with full payment if fired. True Pedro was awful but nobody coulda won 50 games with last year's team.

Edited by greg775

11 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I don’t disagree.

I do.

The last thing we need is Tony LaRussa back. 

The second to last thing we need is someone angrily out of touch with modern baseball. That is clearly Renteria. 

While he isn’t the worst candidate I can name (Tony LaRussa is), his obsession with analytics being wrong and the game needing to be played the way it was 20 years ago would be a major hindrance for this teams recovery.

Renteria’s way of thinking about the game reminds me a ton of Grifol’s.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I do.

The second to last thing we need is someone angrily out of touch with modern baseball. That is clearly Renteria. 

While he isn’t the worst candidate I can name (Tony LaRussa is), his obsession with analytics being wrong and the game needing to be played the way it was 20 years ago would be a major hindrance for this teams recovery.

How much do the NYY and Dodgers use analytics? Seems to me both teams rely on the lift and pull theory of modern baseball as well as the five-inning starter and parade of relievers method. Pretty easy to do that without analytical genuises on staff.

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I do.

Renteria’s tactics suck. However, you can pretty easily change tactics with buy-in. Besides, the 2025 and 2026 teams are going to suck. They’re going to suck really bad. Will tactics actually matter?

What the team needs is a clubhouse presence who will show guys how to be professional - not just between the foul lines, but how to prepare and get along with each other… as grown ups.

The manager for 2025 and 2026 should be chosen based on how they will prepare the team for 2027 and beyond. To me, tactics don’t matter for these next two years, because the wins and losses are a foregone conclusion - they’re going to suck. So let’s just pick the guy who will set the team up to succeed on their own starting in 2027 (I hope it’s that early).

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

How much do the NYY and Dodgers use analytics? Seems to me both teams rely on the lift and pull theory of modern baseball as well as the five-inning starter and parade of relievers method. Pretty easy to do that without analytical genuises on staff.

Tons.

Lineup constructions, pitching decisions, pitch selection, . . . There’s a little more to modern baseball than “throw hard and swing hard.”

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Renteria’s tactics suck. However, you can pretty easily change tactics with buy-in. Besides, the 2025 and 2026 teams are going to suck. They’re going to suck really bad. Will tactics actually matter?

What the team needs is a clubhouse presence who will show guys how to be professional - not just between the foul lines, but how to prepare and get along with each other… as grown ups.

The manager for 2025 and 2026 should be chosen based on how they will prepare the team for 2027 and beyond. To me, tactics don’t matter for these next two years, because the wins and losses are a foregone conclusion - they’re going to suck. So let’s just pick the guy who will set the team up to succeed on their own starting in 2027 (I hope it’s that early).

Ricky Renteria did a shitty job of teaching guys how to be professional. This was literally one of the things I was begging for out of the managerial hire in 2020, better professionalism, because I thought that was important.

Then…we somehow found a guy who could make that worse.

45 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The Dodgers hired Andrew Friedman because he had the analytical know-how from his time with Tampa Bay.

The Dodgers are essentially what would happen if Tampa Bay had a budget. 

• Love 1

30 minutes ago, Quin said:

The Dodgers hired Andrew Friedman because he had the analytical know-how from his time with Tampa Bay.

The Dodgers are essentially what would happen if Tampa Bay had a budget. 

Guess what teams are #1 and #2 in MLB in terms of not swinging at balls out of the zone.