Managerial “Search”

Rey21

2 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

And whether that's because we're hiring those that are bad at their jobs or it's just the institutional stench attached to them, no one has gone on to have a coaching career post-managing the Sox since Jerry Manual in 2003.

2024 - Grifol. Should not have been hired and may never be hired again

2022 - Cairo. Interim to end the year, never coached again

2022 - LaRussa. Should not have been hired and frankly should've stayed retired in the first place; will never manage again

2020 - Renteria. Hired as a bridge guy, never coached again

2016 - Ventura. Had to be persuaded to take it, never coached again

2011 - Don Cooper (only a few games). Never coached again after being fired in 2020

2011 - Guillen. One terrible season in Miami, then never coached again

If we're looking at guys that want to start their careers, well, we don't have a great history of anyone even getting employed after we touch them. 

Cairo is the bench coach for the Nationals. I’m not going to read the rest of this, someone didn’t do their research 

• Paper Bag 1

26 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

To this day I remember that call word for word.  

I remember watching that play live and having multiple thoughts go through my head in like 2.5 seconds.

OhmygodthatisgoingtobeahitandtheyaregoingtotiethegamenoJenksdon'ttouchitohmygoduribehasitmakeagoodthrowYEEEEESSSSS!!!!!!!

Edited by Iwritecode
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

Cairo is the bench coach for the Nationals. I’m not going to read the rest of this, someone didn’t do their research 

In the past 30 seasons, only two White Sox managers ever got another MLB manager job after their tenure with the Sox — Jerry Manuel with the Mets and Ozzie’s ill-fated single season with the Marlins.

The Sox sure know how to pick em.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

I remember watching that play live and having multiple thoughts go through my head in like 2.5 seconds.

OhmygodthatisgoingtobeahitandtheyaregoingtotiethegamenoJenksdon'ttouchitohmygoduribehasitmakeagoodthrowYEEEEESSSSS!!!!!!!

I think that about sums it up haha.

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

In the past 30 seasons, only two White Sox managers ever got another MLB manager job after their tenure with the Sox — Jerry Manuel with the Mets and Ozzie’s ill-fated single season with the Marlins.

Gene Lamont managed 4 seasons in Pittsburgh after the Sox. Terry Bevington was also a coach for Toronto after leaving. 

36 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Gene Lamont managed 4 seasons in Pittsburgh after the Sox. Terry Bevington was also a coach for Toronto after leaving. 

I meant to go back 25 years, not 30.

Correct on Lamont but Bevington never actually managed a team again after the Sox.  He was just a third base coach for Toronto.

38 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If the Sox wait until after the World Series to make the announcment ,it'll be McCullough.

Getz has been around the Dodgers way of doing things every spring training in Glendale. He's very high up on the list.

The Sox and Getz are just a AAAA team for the Dodgers to rob their last few remaining decent players from.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Paper Bag 1

10 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Gene Lamont managed the Pirates. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

They can look at whatever they want, but this manager is going to lose 400 games if they make it 4 years.  

that's very rude of you to discount Jacob Amaya and Chuckie Robinson so quickly 

13 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If the Sox wait until after the World Series to make the announcment ,it'll be McCullough.

Getz has been around the Dodgers way of doing things every spring training in Glendale. He's very high up on the list.

sounds like McCullough is the front runner, I don't think there's really a single stand out guy from my perspective (obviously we don't have the information that Getz has).  I wanted Veneble but ultimately it isn't gonna make much of a difference who they hire

On 10/23/2024 at 9:24 PM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

There could be another name in the mix that hasn't been made public.  

Torborg one of the best managers and to the Mets but over thirty years ago now.

Crazy.

Francona not recognized for the sake of Bevington.

Jim Leyland run off in the 80s.

Meanwhile we get the Wally Backman's Omar Vizquels and yet another villain whose name escapes me.

Wes Helms and Wallace Johnson.

Edited by caulfield12