Managerial “Search”

Rey21

Per Heyman’s article tonight:

”The leading candidates for the White Sox job are believed to be Rangers bench coach Will Venable, former Angels manager Phil Nevinand Tigers bench coach George Lombard.

Venable is a guy White Sox GM Chris Getz always liked. Would be interesting to see him take the White Sox job a year after turning down the Mets for an interview.”

1 hour ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

I can't stand Showalter...but I hope he is the pick...would love to see what would appeal to him about this particular job?  Desperation?  The drama it would induce would be entertaining...and we need some of that because the product on the field will not be fun to watch!  

I thought he was enjoyable with mets, he mellowed out a lot while still disciplining that team more (frankly the core of the mets then had a lot of white sox 2019-2022 core in em). Him and Dusty aged into that role much nicer than Tony did imo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I thought he was enjoyable with mets, he mellowed out a lot while still disciplining that team more (frankly the core of the mets then had a lot of white sox 2019-2022 core in em). Him and Dusty aged into that role much nicer than Tony did imo.

Dusty in 2023 was absolutely LaRussesque. 

It's weird but Renteria would be the perfect hire again. Poor guy got so screwed.

I wanted him gone at 2020 because I thought the sox were a serious org or something that wouldn't be idiots, but the disaster of 2020 is so funny to look back on.

Our starting rotation was on absolute fumes. Keuchel was near toast. Gio was a classic hahn. We had a bunch of young arms that had to deal with the extremely weird ramp up. We had a mediocre closer.

And hahn saw that and did nothing really and we couldn't even get through a 3 game series without running out of pitching lmao.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

So the question is are the Sox going to hire a re tread like Nevin or someone else they will tell us blew them away with knowledge yet will require an experienced bench coach because they aren’t quite sure he knows what he is doing yet?  IMO, this hire really comes down to who will agree to JRs price.

Every team has a bench coach. 

Edited by WestEddy

Showalter must be absolutely desperate to want to come here. But is he enough of a yes-man? I can't see Jerry signing off on someone they can't control absolutely, which, if memory serves, isn't Showalter. I still expect them to announce Nevin or some first timer.

" It’s worth mentioning that McCullough is also thought to be a contender for the White Sox’s current managerial opening. Bruce Levine of 670 The Score called him “a leading candidate” for the role in September, although his name was noticeably absent from Heyman’s list of “leading candidates” published earlier this week."

59 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

"

It’s worth mentioning that McCullough is also thought to be a contender for the White Sox’s current managerial opening. Bruce Levine of 670 The Score called him “a leading candidate” for the role in September, although his name was noticeably absent from Heyman’s list of “leading candidates” published earlier this week."

Sox Machine aka James Fegan's info is much more in tune and up to date than Heyman.

I'm not even sure I've seen Dodger's bench coach Danny Lehmann listed among candidates here in Soxtalk but Fegan says he's a candidate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, supernuke said:

So are they going to sneak in an announcement that they know will be unpopular right before game one?

I don't know how unpopular it'll be.No one can say with any certainty how any manager will hurt or help. They still need players .

If it's a 1st timer we'll hear the normal stuff about JR being cheap so a 1st timer would be the only one to accept the salary offer.

A new manager will be in place during the 1st week of November if not earlier.

4 hours ago, bmags said:

It's weird but Renteria would be the perfect hire again. Poor guy got so screwed.

I wanted him gone at 2020 because I thought the sox were a serious org or something that wouldn't be idiots, but the disaster of 2020 is so funny to look back on.

Our starting rotation was on absolute fumes. Keuchel was near toast. Gio was a classic hahn. We had a bunch of young arms that had to deal with the extremely weird ramp up. We had a mediocre closer.

And hahn saw that and did nothing really and we couldn't even get through a 3 game series without running out of pitching lmao.

As it turns out, 2020 was the window of contention. And as you said, Hahn did nothing to fix the pitching issue.

Who knows how far they would have gone with some more pitching and if they could have gotten past the A's. It also was a problem that our MVP failed multiple times in that playoff series to drive runs in....that's right I said it.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't know how unpopular it'll be.No one can say with any certainty how any manager will hurt or help. They still need players .

If it's a 1st timer we'll hear the normal stuff about JR being cheap so a 1st timer would be the only one to accept the salary offer.

A new manager will be in place during the 1st week of November if not earlier.

And if it's a guy with any experience as a major league manager, he'll be a "retread". 

Edited by WestEddy