Managerial “Search”

Rey21

I like the Sox young pitching, and the work Bannister has done so far.  Let's see the same player development on the position players coming up. 

Skip Schumaker fits the bill, but he might be waiting for the St. Louis job to open up. 

7 hours ago, WestEddy said:

It's funnier, still, that guys on the internet think their opinions have more weight than actual players on the team. Tell us, Floyd Bannister 1983, how were the training exercises?

Derrr, who is pretending that guys on the internet think their opinions have any weight?  You think there is anyone on this board who thinks Chris Getz and Reinsdorf puts any stock in their opinions?  Which posters think that?

You’re not good at reading the room, are you?

8 hours ago, WestEddy said:

It's funnier, still, that guys on the internet think their opinions have more weight than actual players on the team. Tell us, Floyd Bannister 1983, how were the training exercises?

You seem to think that your opinion on a trade outweighs an actual reporter’s, yet you are just a “guy on the Internet”, so what’s the difference here?  Seems a bit hypocritical for you to say this considering your post below…

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You seem to think that your opinion on a trade outweighs an actual reporter’s, yet you are just a “guy on the Internet”, so what’s the difference here?  Seems a bit hypocritical for you to say this considering your post below…

I just don’t think he knows the difference between people writing their opinions on the internet versus the argument being made that a bunch of garbage players should have their opinions taken into account during a managerial selection process.  

He’s a confused one.  He seems to be of the belief someone made the equivalent claim that SoxTalk opinions should be taken into account by Getz and Reinsdorf.  Maybe someone did but I sure haven’t seen it.  Even though the opinions of fellow SoxTalk posters are by and large better than Reinsdorf and Getz nobody here made the argument the management should consider our opinions.

Not a critical reader, that guy.

10 hours ago, Chimpton said:

Not trying to argue with you just interested but do managers really make that little difference in baseball? Being from the UK my main sporting knowledge is from football(soccer) and cricket.

In football top managers get paid millions because they do make a big difference in tactics and team selection that can make a big difference, hence underperforming teams often sack the manager mid season in the hope of transforming their season to avoid relegation.

In cricket, the coach probably has less influence to the play on the field and more to do with the team selection. On the field the captain makes all the tactical changes such as who to bowl and when. 

Do the manager/coaches make more difference in American Football or the NBA? Or is the real difference the GM and their ability to construct a team that is capable of performing?

In football and basketball, the coaches draw up plays. In baseball, it's more about team construction. These guys live with each other for most of 6 months, so it's about managing personalities, communicating roles, and putting players in position to succeed. 

Some people here opine about Romy Gonzalez and his .723 OPS. If he was on the White Sox, he would have a hot streak, then Grifol would start him at 2B. He would become exposed, and OPS the same .550 everybody else did. Alex Cora picked his spots, and put him in positions where his profile could thrive. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

1) you didn't link to a comment I made, so I have no idea what you're referring to. 
2) I don't think "hypocritical" means what you think it does. 

37 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

I just don’t think he knows the difference between people writing their opinions on the internet versus the argument being made that a bunch of garbage players should have their opinions taken into account during a managerial selection process.  

He’s a confused one.  He seems to be of the belief someone made the equivalent claim that SoxTalk opinions should be taken into account by Getz and Reinsdorf.  Maybe someone did but I sure haven’t seen it.  Even though the opinions of fellow SoxTalk posters are by and large better than Reinsdorf and Getz nobody here made the argument the management should consider our opinions.

Not a critical reader, that guy.

You're saying the opinions of the players are worthless because they didn't have a winning record. Grady Sizemore had a better winning percentage than Pedro Grifol. I don't know/don't care if Getz/TLR/JR will take that into consideration. If they retain Sizemore as manager, maybe they did. 

15 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

I’m not sure any stock should be taken of the opinions of players on the worst team of all time.   A decent team, maybe.  This disaster area, it’s laughable the players would have any input.

Lucky for you, my own opinion isn’t rooted in the opinions of the players. I don’t talk to them. I don’t know what they think. 

Of course, the actual crux of the post is that, unfortunately, millionaire athletes need to be compelled to do their job to the best of their ability. This strikes me as the only reason to have a manager. In real jobs too, management is worthless except they can fire you if you don’t do your job effectively. That’s motivation!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

You're saying the opinions of the players are worthless because they didn't have a winning record. Grady Sizemore had a better winning percentage than Pedro Grifol. I don't know/don't care if Getz/TLR/JR will take that into consideration. If they retain Sizemore as manager, maybe they did. 

I said they are worthless because they were the worst team in the history of baseball.  They weren’t a 75-87 team that played .500 the last month.  And Grady Sizemore was the beneficiary of playing the second worst team in the league and a hungover Tigers team the last week of the season.  Before that he had a .205 winning percentage, below Grifol’s .239.  Bruce Bochy he is not.

Edited by FloydBannister1983

2 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

I said they are worthless because they were the worst team in the history of baseball.  And Grady Sizemore was the beneficiary of playing the second worst team in the league and a hungover Tigers team the last week of the season.  Before that he had a .205 winning percentage, below Grifol’s .239.  Bruce Bochy he is not.

Oh, so if you take away all his victories, his record's even worse? Even players on the worst team in history have an opinion on whether they're confused about their roles or not. 

9 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Oh, so if you take away all his victories, his record's even worse? Even players on the worst team in history have an opinion on whether they're confused about their roles or not. 

No, I’m discounting his victories the last week of the season against the second worst team in the league and a hungover Tigers team that would not have been going through the motions had they not clinched on Friday night.

Did you even read the post?

16 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

I’m not sure any stock should be taken of the opinions of players on the worst team of all time.   A decent team, maybe.  This disaster area, it’s laughable the players would have any input.

I might care some, but most of these guys will be gone soon anyway.  Besides we have Jerry and Tony to listen to.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

No, I’m discounting his victories the last week of the season against the second worst team in the league and a hungover Tigers team that would not have been going through the motions had they not clinched on Friday night.

Much like a politician in a debate, he heard it and turned it into what he actually wanted to answer.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

1) you didn't link to a comment I made, so I have no idea what you're referring to. 
2) I don't think "hypocritical" means what you think it does. 

The “Share” link feature apparently doesn’t work properly, but you know exactly what I was referring to.  A reporter with sources can’t ever be right, but WestEddy always is!

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The “Share” link feature apparently doesn’t work properly, but you know exactly what I was referring to.  A reporter with sources can’t ever be right, but WestEddy always is!

No, I have no idea what you're talking about. That's a 45 page string covering 10 months of posts. 

22 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Games against the "2nd worst team" in the league still count. And the Tigers were still playing for their seed and momentum going into the playoffs. Kerry Carpenter went nuts and threw his helmet after his grand slam in the last game. They cared. 

As to your original post, yes, the opinions of players matter, even on a team that was historically bad. Weird how guys can leave the team, and if they dish, their opinions matter, but if they give positive feedback on any aspect of the clubhouse, they don't. You'll have to walk me through that logic. 

5 minutes ago, bobbydanks said:

SlowEddy gonna really try to convince people to run it back? Man I'm an optimist in some group chats but the shameless stupidity is just insufferable when it should be funny or cute. 

I don't know what you're talking about in that first sentence. Players' opinions matter when it comes to how a manager dealt with players, regardless of whether that team was bad, or not. 

22 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yep, I know finding recent posts in a thread you posted in 13 hours ago is difficult.

Then I'll reply in that thread. I've been told that dragging arguments from one thread to another is bad. 

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Games against the "2nd worst team" in the league still count. And the Tigers were still playing for their seed and momentum going into the playoffs. Kerry Carpenter went nuts and threw his helmet after his grand slam in the last game. They cared. 

As to your original post, yes, the opinions of players matter, even on a team that was historically bad. Weird how guys can leave the team, and if they dish, their opinions matter, but if they give positive feedback on any aspect of the clubhouse, they don't. You'll have to walk me through that logic. 

I don’t think you know the difference between guys having opinions and having their opinions matter in the hiring process.  If they like Sizemore that’s great!  If they want a say in Sizemore being hired … they were the worst team of all time, they should get no input.  You are certainly slow on understanding that poor performers don’t get to choose their bosses.  Very slow.

Games in that last week certainly count in the standings but not in decision making.  Sizemore underperformed Grifol until he ran into teams mailing it in, then he rallied to have a winning percentage still well under .300.  Yes, an inspiring figure, that Grady Sizemore.

1 hour ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

I don’t think you know the difference between guys having opinions and having their opinions matter in the hiring process.  If they like Sizemore that’s great!  If they want a say in Sizemore being hired … they were the worst team of all time, they should get no input.  You are certainly slow on understanding that poor performers don’t get to choose their bosses.  Very slow.

Games in that last week certainly count in the standings but not in decision making.  Sizemore underperformed Grifol until he ran into teams mailing it in, then he rallied to have a winning percentage still well under .300.  Yes, an inspiring figure, that Grady Sizemore.

I was reacting to your opinion of "why would anyone pay attention to guys who were historically bad?". No, the players are not picking the manager, regardless of whether they played well or not. I could see Getz caring how Sizemore's perceived by the players, as any GM would. I'm not sure why you'd think it so ludicrous that a GM would get a player's perspective on the manager. 

Yes, I agree with you that if you discount all the games that the Sox won under Sizemore, his record looks worse than Grifol's. 

Edited by WestEddy

15 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I was reacting to your opinion of "why would anyone pay attention to guys who were historically bad?". No, the players are not picking the manager, regardless of whether they played well or not. I could see Getz caring how Sizemore's perceived by the players, as any GM would. I'm not sure why you'd think it so ludicrous that a GM would get a player's perspective on the manager. 

Yes, I agree with you that if you discount all the games that the Sox won under Sizemore, his record looks worse than Grifol's. 

You don’t think it is ludicrous that a GM would get the perspective of players would played on the worst team in the history of baseball?  That speaks volumes.

You continue to make it obvious how obtuse (intentionally or not) you are.  Nobody discounted all the games the Sox won under Sizemore.  The only games being discounted are those in the last week.

I’m done.  You sought me out, not vice versa.  Welcome to my blocked list.