Managerial “Search”

Rey21

26 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I was reacting to your opinion of "why would anyone pay attention to guys who were historically bad?". No, the players are not picking the manager, regardless of whether they played well or not. I could see Getz caring how Sizemore's perceived by the players, as any GM would. I'm not sure why you'd think it so ludicrous that a GM would get a player's perspective on the manager. 

Yes, I agree with you that if you discount all the games that the Sox won under Sizemore, his record looks worse than Grifol's. 

I don’t think the Sox have the right mix of players to be involved choosing a manager. I do think the team needs to be somewhat successful, and have several players who have been around winning enough to know the difference. Benintendi, may have some insight, but the others ?

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don’t think the Sox have the right mix of players to be involved choosing a manager. I do think the team needs to be somewhat successful, and have several players who have been around winning enough to know the difference. Benintendi, may have some insight, but the others ?

Getz probably isn't in the clubhouse. Why wouldn't he pick the brains of a couple vets to get a feel for whether Sizemore is giving clear instruction and feedback to players? I would assume that a GM knows what qualities he wants in a manager.

21 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

You don’t think it is ludicrous that a GM would get the perspective of players would played on the worst team in the history of baseball?  That speaks volumes.

You continue to make it obvious how obtuse (intentionally or not) you are.  Nobody discounted all the games the Sox won under Sizemore.  The only games being discounted are those in the last week.

I’m done.  You sought me out, not vice versa.  Welcome to my blocked list.

No I don't. The players are human beings and can understand getting clear instruction, or being used in a defined role, regardless of whether their team has won enough baseball games, or not. A player can point out that rookies are sleeping out in the bullpen, or guys are just playing for their stat lines. 

But hey, I started out salty yesterday, well into a 2nd bottle of wine. You do what you feel you must. 

16 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Getz probably isn't in the clubhouse. Why wouldn't he pick the brains of a couple vets to get a feel for whether Sizemore is giving clear instruction and feedback to players? I would assume that a GM knows what qualities he wants in a manager.

If Getz isn't getting into the clubhouse of a 121 loss team before, during, and after firing people he is an even bigger idiot than his early trade returns indicate he is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If Getz isn't getting into the clubhouse of a 121 loss team before, during, and after firing people he is an even bigger idiot than his early trade returns indicate he is.

This was one of the numerous issues with Hahn... 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

This was one of the numerous issues with Hahn... 

Wasn't that an issue for Chris Sale? FO types coming into the clubhouse where they didn't belong? KW even had spies telling him how things were going in the clubhouse. 

37 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

If he needs players help evaluating his own manager, God help us all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If he needs players help evaluating his own manager, God help us all.

This entire conversation arc has gone from "players like playing for him" to Miguel Vargus and Nicky Lopez are conducting the interviews, basically. If someone would note that Chris Getz survives by breathing oxygen, a good dozen people would jump in and pretend that is a sign of a horrible GM. Breathing oxygen. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

This entire conversation arc has gone from "players like playing for him" to Miguel Vargus and Nicky Lopez are conducting the interviews, basically. If someone would note that Chris Getz survives by breathing oxygen, a good dozen people would jump in and pretend that is a sign of a horrible GM. Breathing oxygen. 

41-121 is a tell tale sign the GM is bad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

This was the worst season in the history of baseball in terms of losses.  I would call that a pretty clear sign of the quality of the GM, manager, or anyone else connected to this organization.  Your hyperventilating over people not being positive after a 121 loss season continues to be almost fake in it's persistence plus indignation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Wasn't that an issue for Chris Sale? FO types coming into the clubhouse where they didn't belong? KW even had spies telling him how things were going in the clubhouse. 

Hahn was just never comfortable in that environment...like he knew he didn't belong as a non athlete. 

Edited by caulfield12

32 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Hahn was just never comfortable ingat environment...like he knew he didn't belong as a non athlete. 

Chris Sale once threw a tantrum and screamed in KW's face to get out. No, Hahn never seemed to be comfortable there. 

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

When Michael Jordan had input on coaches that was a player whose opinion mattered.  When anyone on a team with the most losses in history has an opinion on a coach they can be DFA’d if they don’t like it.

43 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

When Michael Jordan had input on coaches that was a player whose opinion mattered.  When anyone on a team with the most losses in history has an opinion on a coach they can be DFA’d if they don’t like it.

Benintendi would love that...freedom and one large JR check. 

12 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Eh I think it’s fine to hear the thoughts of anyone on the major league roster who’s solidly in the team’s future plans, regardless of the team’s W-L record.

The obvious problem, of course, being who the hell are those players for the Sox?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This was the worst season in the history of baseball in terms of losses.  I would call that a pretty clear sign of the quality of the GM, manager, or anyone else connected to this organization.  Your hyperventilating over people not being positive after a 121 loss season continues to be almost fake in its persistence plus indignation. 

Cue the gif…

It’s not Getz’s fault!  Leave Getz alone!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

41-121 is a tell tale sign the GM is bad.

I’m of the opinion that records don’t matter for rebuilding teams. And this was a team that was always going to be worse than 2023’s. I think too many people are caught up on something that ultimately doesn’t matter. 

Edited by Boopa1219
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Cue the gif…

It’s not Getz’s fault!  Leave Getz alone!

What are you even talking about? Do you even read what you're commenting on? Nobody is saying to leave Getz alone. A comment that players liked playing for Sizemore better than Grifol has ballooned into a freakout about players picking their next manager. Then here comes you, hammering your agenda. LOL. 

1 hour ago, Boopa1219 said:

I’m of the opinion that records don’t matter for rebuilding teams. And this was a team that was always going to be worse than 2023’s. I think too many people are caught up on something that ultimately doesn’t matter. 

Couldn’t disagree more.  To me, there’s a huge difference between simply being a bad, rebuilding team and being the worst team of all time with a horrendous use of your best trade chips.

Edited by fathom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

What are you even talking about? Do you even read what you're commenting on? Nobody is saying to leave Getz alone. A comment that players liked playing for Sizemore better than Grifol has ballooned into a freakout about players picking their next manager. Then here comes you, hammering your agenda. LOL. 

I responded to a post that mentioned the GM.  What is the problem?

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Couldn’t disagree more.  To me, there’s a huge difference between simply being a bad, rebuilding team and being the worst team of all time with a horrendous use of your best trade chips.

They couldn’t turn one asset into an average starting position player.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

Making a mockery of the sport and destroying your brand, possibly permanently, in a year you can’t pick higher than 10 doesn’t matter?  That’s a weird take.