Managerial “Search”

Rey21

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Is that the case if Crochet is gone? Between Crochet and Fedde, that’s most of the quality in the White Sox pitching staff. Hard to count on rookies, even heralded ones, to make up for that.

Nobody will be as good as Crochet, but I think Cannon/Burke/Martin/Thorpe are higher floor than Soroka/Flexen/Nastrini.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Nobody will be as good as Crochet, but I think Cannon/Burke/Martin/Thorpe are higher floor than Soroka/Flexen/Nastrini.

Probably true, but still iffy. Burke's ERA was 3 runs lower in MLB than AAA. That should regress. Thorpe, who even knows if he will be healthy. Martin was not good his last few starts. Could just be fatigue, could be a better scouting report. Cannon was good. But I certainly don't think anyone has him as an ace or a real top 2 starter, especially in 2025. I just hope they are all healthy so they can at least get an accurate reading on each, as obviously none of them are their top prospects.

13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Other than the hat/logo, 2023 Luis Robert and 2024 Garrett Crochet, there's absolutely nothing interesting about this franchise unless you love young/left-handed pitching...while it lasts.

Yes the hat is still superior.  We used to joke in the 90s, could you imagine Dre or Snoop wearing a Cubs hat, lol.

Roberts is checked out.  He wants out yesterday.  Crochet could be but I have a feeling his arm is going to fall off with no warning.  Not based in anything just a bad feeling.  But for every one of those the Cubs can raise you two.  If I were growing up now I don't know that I would have picked the Sox (God willing I'd never pick the Cubs).

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again, since the start of the divisional playoffs structure, there has been almost 100 seasons where a team lost 100 or more games.  Plenty of those seasons have had mass firings,  incompetent ownership,  player injuries,  and idiots taking over jobs and still NONE of them managed to fall to more than 120 wins the next season.  Pretending this was some inevitable step in rebuilding is an absurd afront to the fans, and frankly insulting.  Fans have earned the right to be mad, and will be until things like results actually change.

And as you corectly pointed out a while ago, even teams that have TRIED to lose have never managed to lose 121 games.  Ever.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

11 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well having the worst season seems to have empowered you to feel right about many things. But you never sway very far from the majority opinion which always guarantees more people will think you're right than wrong.You play it pretty safe.

That 121 loss team indicts mostly those who have had the most power in creating it over time. That's a very high percentage on JR.

Getz has barely started. There's time to blame him down the line even though not recognizing the puppet from the puppet master seems to be willful blindness to ensure you win whatever office you seem to be running for on Soxtalk.

It's not like Getz is a blank slate.  He's failed his way up here.  And, as has been pointed out countless times, the other successful rebuilds we have witnessed in the last decade and a half had at least one in common ... they cleaned house and fired all the management and started over.  Getz is just KW/Hahn Part Trois.

6 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

It's not like Getz is a blank slate.  He's failed his way up here.  And, as has been pointed out countless times, the other successful rebuilds we have witnessed in the last decade and a half had at least one in common ... they cleaned house and fired all the management and started over.  Getz is just KW/Hahn Part Trois.

At least Kenny could scout in his day.

• Like 5

The problem is, Getz took over a 101 loss team that JR told us would be better. Granted he said he didn't know how much better, but it was 20 games worse, and set a record for losses. It is absolutely disgusting. There are plenty of organizations, the ones where winning and not kissing the ring of the owner takes precedence, where, yes Getz wouldn't have been hired in the first place, but since he was, he would be gone. It shouldn't take long to find out if someone is in over their head. The Bears didn't need 5 years to know Trestman and Emery were junk, and they aren't exactly known as a team where winning is the only focus. If you suck, you suck. Getz sucks. To me, not recognizing it is the same as keeping RH and KW around so long. He has shown you what he is. Unfortunately, that is a hack. He did something no other GM has ever been bad enough to accomplish, and say what you want, he wasn't trying to lose that many games.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The problem is, Getz took over a 101 loss team that JR told us would be better. Granted he said he didn't know how much better, but it was 20 games worse, and set a record for losses. It is absolutely disgusting. There are plenty of organizations, the ones where winning and not kissing the ring of the owner takes precedence, where, yes Getz wouldn't have been hired in the first place, but since he was, he would be gone. It shouldn't take long to find out if someone is in over their head. The Bears didn't need 5 years to know Trestman and Emery were junk, and they aren't exactly known as a team where winning is the only focus. If you suck, you suck. Getz sucks. To me, not recognizing it is the same as keeping RH and KW around so long. He has shown you what he is. Unfortunately, that is a hack. He did something no other GM has ever been bad enough to accomplish, and say what you want, he wasn't trying to lose that many games.

And it is revisionists history to argue otherwise.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Anyone who took what JR said about the team being better and undergoing a quick turnaround seriously, is an idiot. I'm sorry.

Edited by Boopa1219
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

Anyone who took what JR said about the team being better and undergoing a quick turnaround seriously, is an idiot. I'm sorry.

That is what he told us. Being better than a 101 loss team isn't a high bar. Getz fell over 20 games short. That's a lot. That's the difference between a 100 win team, and a below .500 team. Getz himself mentioned the AL Central as not being a particularly strong division. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

26 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

Nah, always take them at their word.  As soon as you start making excuses for them then you are doing exactly what they want.  I didn’t believe they were gonna turn it around when he said it, but HE said it without anyone putting it in his mouth, and he should be held to that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 2

44 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

Which tells me that I shouldn't take ANYTHING they say seriously, including doing this rebuild fully and correctly, because their recent history tells me they will 100% lie to the general public to sell a few more ticket, and they will absolutely cut corners, incest hire, and not do everything they need to do to win in 2025 and beyond as long as Jerry and his hand picked stooge are running the show.

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That is what he told us. Being better than a 101 loss team isn't a high bar. Getz fell over 20 games short. That's a lot. That's the difference between a 100 win team, and a below .500 team. Getz himself mentioned the AL Central as not being a particularly strong division. 

Turns out he was right, but mostly because the White Sox were so historically bad they made everyone else look better.

57 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Nah, always take them at their word.  As soon as you start making excuses for them then you are doing exactly what they want.  I didn’t believe they were gonna turn it around when he said it, but HE said it without anyone putting it in his mouth, and he should be held to that.

I believe the most accurate culture term is "useful idiots"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Which tells me that I shouldn't take ANYTHING they say seriously, including doing this rebuild fully and correctly, because their recent history tells me they will 100% lie to the general public to sell a few more ticket, and they will absolutely cut corners, incest hire, and not do everything they need to do to win in 2025 and beyond as long as Jerry and his hand picked stooge are running the show.

Take what they say as seriously as any other advertising. We thought it was New Sox but it was Sox Classic. 

• Love 1

12 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

You really think Getz will put together a WS team in your lifetime?

KW's 2000-2012 record seems like the White Sox 1950's/60's 1910's or 1990-94 comparatively.

18 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

It doesn’t matter if they are idiots and believed him or not.  

I’m sorry but there is shame that should be attached to being a liar.  And Reinsdorf and Getz are liars and deserve to be publicly shamed and humiliated.  If they were just bad at their jobs it’s one thing.  Lying to the customers is disgraceful.

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

KW's 2000-2012 record seems like the White Sox 1950's/60's 1910's or 1990-94 comparatively.

I don’t think Getz will put together a .500 team before Reinsdorf is put out to pasture and new management tells Getz to turn in his keys and rips his name tag off his shirt.

I don’t credit Williams with putting together a World Series team.  That team was designed to be worse than 2004.  It was a freak of nature, lightning in a bottle.  Totally by accident.

Edited by FloydBannister1983

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Yes. At this rate, the Dodgers will win the WS thanks in large part to Getz trades.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Boopa1219 said:

Fegan also reported that Schumaker is still in the mix, the Sox have told some candidates that they aren't finalists and that they'd like to make a hire by end of October and prior to GM meetings. I believe that these are the people we know of so far. 

Skip Schumaker (Former Marlins Manager)

Grady Sizemore (Internal)

George Lombard (Tigers Bench Coach)

AJ Ellis (Special assistant in San Diego)

Clayton McCullough (Dodgers 1B Coach)

Phil Nevin (Former Angels Manager)

Daniel Descalso (Cardinals Bench Coach)

Will Venable (Rangers Bench Coach)

Am I missing anyone? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Fegan also reported that Schumaker is still in the mix, the Sox have told some candidates that they aren't finalists and that they'd like to make a hire by end of October and prior to GM meetings. I believe that these are the people we know of so far. 

Am I missing anyone? 

Who is your preferred(of this list) and who do you think gets it

36 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Am I missing anyone? 

Phil Nevin is a wild candidate. I'll give them grace and assume it's due diligence.