Managerial “Search”

Rey21

58 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Fegan also reported that Schumaker is still in the mix, the Sox have told some candidates that they aren't finalists and that they'd like to make a hire by end of October and prior to GM meetings. I believe that these are the people we know of so far. 

Skip Schumaker (Former Marlins Manager)

Grady Sizemore (Internal)

George Lombard (Tigers Bench Coach)

AJ Ellis (Special assistant in San Diego)

Clayton McCullough (Dodgers 1B Coach)

Phil Nevin (Former Angels Manager)

Daniel Descalso (Cardinals Bench Coach)

Will Venable (Rangers Bench Coach)

Am I missing anyone? 

Thanks for putting this together.  Would be interested in a cross checking of who played/coached/scouted/work with Getz.

26 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

I think I’m gonna regret asking, but how so? I don’t know anything about him outside his playing days.

Just an example:

This was before he had his team intentionally throw at a guy, resulting in a brawl where he got suspended 10 games. For more context: He swapped his starter for an opener to throw at a guy.

He also got ejected from the same game twice.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Just an example:

This was before he had his team intentionally throw at a guy, resulting in a brawl where he got suspended 10 games. For more context: He swapped his starter for an opener to throw at a guy.

He also got ejected from the same game twice.

Sounds like the perfect “Overton Window Hire” to prepare for the return of Ozzie.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Maybe crossing it up mentally with HOF knuckleballer Phil Neikro?

Nah, I remember Nevin from his playing days and Neikro was well before my time. Was there another Nevin who pitched in the past 30 years? 

Edited by Tnetennba

7 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Fegan also reported that Schumaker is still in the mix, the Sox have told some candidates that they aren't finalists and that they'd like to make a hire by end of October and prior to GM meetings. I believe that these are the people we know of so far. 

Skip Schumaker (Former Marlins Manager)

Grady Sizemore (Internal)

George Lombard (Tigers Bench Coach)

AJ Ellis (Special assistant in San Diego)

Clayton McCullough (Dodgers 1B Coach)

Phil Nevin (Former Angels Manager)

Daniel Descalso (Cardinals Bench Coach)

Will Venable (Rangers Bench Coach)

Am I missing anyone? 

Schumaker or Venable would be my choice 

Edited by Rey21
  • Like 1

Ellis does not seem remotely seasoned enough for this job. If he wants to be in the dugout as it seems, then bring him in as an assistant. Little scary he may seemingly be a finalist. Lombard seems competent. I dont know if excitable "player's coach" if the right hire gor now. There's also the question why he hasnt been the guy yet or why we didnt hire him in 2022 when he was a finalist. Give me Schumaker though.

"Lombard, 49, has served as A.J. Hinch’s bench coach for all four of his seasons in Detroit. He began his coaching career with the Red Sox’s minor league affiliates before filling the same role, roving outfield and baserunning coordinator, with the Braves in 2015. The Dodgers then hired Lombard as their first base coach, a role he would hold from 2016 to 2020 under Dave Roberts.

Lombard has previously been interviewed for positions with the Marlins (base coach) and Pirates (manager). Given his time with a World Series Champion Dodgers team, which is just a top-class organization itself, Lombard has some great experience to go with his current coaching role on a team that just made the ALDS.

Ellis, 43, is a former big league catcher for the Dodgers, Phillies, Marlins, and Padres. An 18th-round draft pick back in 2003, Ellis has been working for the Padres since 2019, when he joined the front office as a special assistant to the baseball operations department. In 2024, he assumed a role that saw him interact with the MLB team and minor league affiliates as an assistant."

https://www.soxon35th.com/more-names-surface-in-narrowing-white-sox-managerial-search/#google_vignette

16 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

"Lombard, 49, has served as A.J. Hinch’s bench coach for all four of his seasons in Detroit. He began his coaching career with the Red Sox’s minor league affiliates before filling the same role, roving outfield and baserunning coordinator, with the Braves in 2015. The Dodgers then hired Lombard as their first base coach, a role he would hold from 2016 to 2020 under Dave Roberts.

Lombard has previously been interviewed for positions with the Marlins (base coach) and Pirates (manager). Given his time with a World Series Champion Dodgers team, which is just a top-class organization itself, Lombard has some great experience to go with his current coaching role on a team that just made the ALDS.

Ellis, 43, is a former big league catcher for the Dodgers, Phillies, Marlins, and Padres. An 18th-round draft pick back in 2003, Ellis has been working for the Padres since 2019, when he joined the front office as a special assistant to the baseball operations department. In 2024, he assumed a role that saw him interact with the MLB team and minor league affiliates as an assistant."

https://www.soxon35th.com/more-names-surface-in-narrowing-white-sox-managerial-search/#google_vignette

Nothing would be more hilarious than passing on AJ Hinch for TLR to then settle for Hinch’s bench coach four years later.  Jerry is a dolt of epic proportions when it comes to baseball.  Great at making money though…

1604078472458.png

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Nothing would be more hilarious than passing on AJ Hinch for TLR to then settle for Hinch’s bench coach four years later.  Jerry is a dolt of epic proportions when it comes to baseball.  Great at making money though…

1604078472458.png

I understand what you are saying, but Cubs/Brewers this year showed us that a bench coach might be the brains behind it all. Maybe we'd be getting an actual baseball mind.

9 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

1604078472458.png

The last four years have been disastrous for his bottom line.  High payrolls and low attendance.