Managerial “Search”

Rey21

I will say this much.  Obviously we have no idea what is going on because no one tells Sox fans anything, and there are only scattered reports of rumors, but if we are actually interviewing candidates, this is at least a step in the right direction to run a baseball team like a late 20th century entity.  We may still end up with a disaster of a manager, but even progress is progress.  At least it is a sliver of a chance vs zero chance at all.

18 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Thanks for putting this together.  Would be interested in a cross checking of who played/coached/scouted/work with Getz.

Yeah I haven't really dug deeply into the connections. I know that Clayton McCullough's dad is a longtime pro scout for the Royals and he also came up with Indians, played with Sizemore in minors and managed for Mark Shapiro in Toronto 

18 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Would Nevin correspond to Tony's time in LAAAAA?

I don't believe so but three of his ex-coaches are on White Sox staff currently 

18 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Who is your preferred(of this list) and who do you think gets it

I guess I don't really have a preference. Skip Schumaker seems obvious but I'd be fine with any of Lombard, Descalso, McCullough or Venable honestly. It's so hard to know who will be good or not. 

30 minutes ago, zisk said:

I bet Grady has already signed a contract. This is all window dressing.

I don't know why people think this. 

26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will say this much.  Obviously we have no idea what is going on because no one tells Sox fans anything, and there are only scattered reports of rumors, but if we are actually interviewing candidates, this is at least a step in the right direction to run a baseball team like a late 20th century entity.  We may still end up with a disaster of a manager, but even progress is progress.  At least it is a sliver of a chance vs zero chance at all.

I agree with you but they did this last time and landed on Pedro Grifol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah I haven't really dug deeply into the connections. I know that Clayton McCullough's dad is a longtime pro scout for the Royals and he also came up with Indians, played with Sizemore in minors and managed for Mark Shapiro in Toronto 

I don't believe so but three of his ex-coaches are on White Sox staff currently 

I guess I don't really have a preference. Skip Schumaker seems obvious but I'd be fine with any of Lombard, Descalso, McCullough or Venable honestly. It's so hard to know who will be good or not. 

I don't know why people think this. 

I'm guessing part of the Pedro hire was the price tag. Most of the guys on the list, JR is going to have to pay a little more for.

29 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They did interview a number of people last time and are interviewing a lot of people this time but the people doing the interviewing this time is very different and unlike last time they are narrowing the list down to 4-5 candidates and doing a second round of interviews  with others joining the interviews. They have a much better chance of hiring the right guy this time than they did the last time.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Has there been a single report of an interview happening though? I know is still a little early with the playoffs still going on, but I feel like we would have heard SOMETHING if an interview occurred. Hell, if it was a different franchise we would probably know the flight # the potential coach flew in on. 

3 hours ago, PaleAleSox said:

I understand what you are saying, but Cubs/Brewers this year showed us that a bench coach might be the brains behind it all. Maybe we'd be getting an actual baseball mind.

This would just be praying for the needle in the haystack.  If the Sox end up hiring an absolute brain trust of a manager, it will be because they lucked into one.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Has there been a single report of an interview happening though? I know is still a little early with the playoffs still going on, but I feel like we would have heard SOMETHING if an interview occurred. Hell, if it was a different franchise we would probably know the flight # the potential coach flew in on. 

You have a lot more faith in the Sox communications than I do.  If it isn't sales, they don't care.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You have a lot more faith in the Sox communications than I do.  If it isn't sales, they don't care.

Again, this isn’t the NFL. MLB teams don’t report on interviews for positions. If names are being reported like this, they’ve either had an interview, reached out and inquired, or told the candidate they’re not interested 

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They did interview a number of people last time and are interviewing a lot of people this time but the people doing the interviewing this time is very different and unlike last time they are narrowing the list down to 4-5 candidates and doing a second round of interviews  with others joining the interviews. They have a much better chance of hiring the right guy this time than they did the last time.  

I know no doubt in my mind that Pedro Grifol verbally feliated his way into that job during that interview and said whatever he thought Hahn wanted to hear. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

Again, this isn’t the NFL. MLB teams don’t report on interviews for positions. If names are being reported like this, they’ve either had an interview, reached out and inquired, or told the candidate they’re not interested 

Maybe you have been conditioned to accept that from Jerry, but that isn't true in a lot of other markets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

A national media guy isn’t going to be aware of a managerial interview? Could be wrong, but doesn’t seem likely. Wouldn’t a potential manager’s agent want that public for his client?

I also could say you have a lot more faith in the Sox competence to keep an apparent secret (no idea why it would be) from leaking. No way they have everything in that tight of order.

I’m not saying there has to be a grand conspiracy behind this. They just might not have conducted interviews YET.

19 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

A national media guy isn’t going to be aware of a managerial interview? Could be wrong, but doesn’t seem likely. Wouldn’t a potential manager’s agent want that public for his client?

I also could say you have a lot more faith in the Sox competence to keep an apparent secret (no idea why it would be) from leaking. No way they have everything in that tight of order.

I’m not saying there has to be a grand conspiracy behind this. They just might not have conducted interviews YET.

The Sox have always been a tight organization with secrets. I would think the main reason for an agent tossing their client's name out to the press would be to gin up the bidding. At this point, it's the Sox and Marlins. 

20 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

The Sox have always been a tight organization with secrets. I would think the main reason for an agent tossing their client's name out to the press would be to gin up the bidding. At this point, it's the Sox and Marlins. 

Naw, the White Sox leak like crazy, most of It now is on purpose. That reputation goes back to KW, it hasn’t been the case in more than 10 years.

1 hour ago, Boopa1219 said:

I know no doubt in my mind that Pedro Grifol verbally feliated his way into that job during that interview and said whatever he thought Hahn wanted to hear. 

What is more interesting is what Pedro probably had to say to do this. It probably sounded a lot like what we heard from him.

1. Hahn did a great job putting a roster together and it just needed better coaching. Yeah that was part of it.

2. We are going to play hard nosed tough baseball. We are going to play veterans who play the right way. We are going to bunt and put pressure on the defense and play fast. We aren’t going to mess around with stuff like walk rates and launch angles, that’s for nerds.

The latter is stuff we heard from Grifol for a year and a half.

How much of that is the same stuff Chris Domestic Violence Enthusiast Chris Getz talked about and that Reinsdorf talked about in his press events? They did a great job of putting out a consistent message.

Reinsdorf wants guys like Eckstein. Getz wants more bunting and for women to know they deserve to be punched if they don’t keep quiet. The leaks tell us the baseball people are back in charge. Getz wants guys who play the game the right way, beat women, and play sound defense. Grifol wants them to play “fast”.

Thats the direct line to 121 losses. Grifol didn’t just tell them they had done a great job, he told them that he would play the game the way they wanted, the David Eckstein game. The results speak for themselves, 121 losses and multiple articles about how they wanted to play an old style game, and now this time I’m sure the baseball people will totally change their perspective and embrace a more modern approach, right?

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

48 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Remember how Nightengale was saying that TLR would be the next manager of the Sox, and he was saying it so early that no one even believed it?

Sure, but he also said that Dayton Moore was joining the Sox when Getz was hired.

Point being, he’s always in the know until he’s not.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Sure, but he also said that Dayton Moore was joining the Sox when Getz was hired.

Point being, he’s always in the know until he’s not.

Nightengale said that Moore “could” join the Sox, not the definitive “was” joining.  It’s possible Moore was close to making the move to the Sox but maybe he had a last minute change of heart?  Perhaps Jerry wasn’t offering enough money, or that he realized he would be moving from the Rangers to the woeful Sox, or that the drugs he was on when he was considering working for Jerry Reinsdorf finally wore off.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2023/08/23/white-sox-changes-gm-chris-getz-dayton-moore/70656755007/

Dayton Moore, the Texas Rangers’ senior advisor of baseball operations who spent 16 years as the Kansas City Royals GM, could also join Getz in a key front-office position. The two close friends worked together in Kansas City where they won back-to-back pennants and the 2015 World Series championship. 

It likely will be weeks before the White Sox make an official decision, but Getz and Moore are the overwhelming favorites to be running the White Sox baseball operations before the season’s conclusion.”

15 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Nightengale said that Moore “could” join the Sox, not the definitive “was” joining.  It’s possible Moore was close to making the move to the Sox but maybe he had a last minute change of heart?  Perhaps Jerry wasn’t offering enough money, or that he realized he would be moving from the Rangers to the woeful Sox, or that the drugs he was on when he was considering working for Jerry Reinsdorf finally wore off.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2023/08/23/white-sox-changes-gm-chris-getz-dayton-moore/70656755007/

Dayton Moore, the Texas Rangers’ senior advisor of baseball operations who spent 16 years as the Kansas City Royals GM, could also join Getz in a key front-office position. The two close friends worked together in Kansas City where they won back-to-back pennants and the 2015 World Series championship. 

It likely will be weeks before the White Sox make an official decision, but Getz and Moore are the overwhelming favorites to be running the White Sox baseball operations before the season’s conclusion.”

They probably decided that LaRussa could handle that role. 

27 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

And he also said earlier in the year that AJ was emerging as a serious candidate to replace Grifol.

Look, obviously you can put as much meaning as you want behind what’s reported or not reported and what you think was leaked or not leaked, but personally I just don’t see the point.

• Like 1