Managerial “Search”

Rey21

someone mentioned to me the sox have another internal candidate they are considering from the scouting side. Had him out in arizona in full uniform the last week or two coaching up the young players to see how it went. might not end up as manager, but cant imagine a scout wearing full uniform if he didnt think he was under consideration for a spot on the staff. 

44 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

someone mentioned to me the sox have another internal candidate they are considering from the scouting side. Had him out in arizona in full uniform the last week or two coaching up the young players to see how it went. might not end up as manager, but cant imagine a scout wearing full uniform if he didnt think he was under consideration for a spot on the staff. 

I heard that guy missed his interview because he was too busy test driving some Jeeps, so he’s out of consideration now.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I heard that guy missed his interview because he was too busy test driving some Jeeps, so he’s out of consideration now.

Why pick between taking customers on test drives in a beautiful new Jeep Wagoneer at sunset and working for the sox when for some reason you are allowed to do both. Am i right @Harold's Leg Lift?

1 hour ago, Downtown Brown said:

Mike Gellinger?

Ncorgbl?

Edited by caulfield12

33 minutes ago, JoeC said:

An actual GM would have been nice a little over a year ago, but JR blew that one.

When I saw the name Chris Getz, I immediately thought two things…

1.) What the f***? You can’t be serious.

2.) Isn’t Getz the player Beckham wrote “is gay” about in the infield dirt once?

No exactly a resounding reaction to a hiring. 😆

On 10/18/2024 at 8:42 PM, BigHurt3515 said:

Serious question, is there anyone we can hire that will actually get the fanbase excited?

No, because a good hire for this White Sox franchise would be unexciting.

The White Sox desperately need someone who can be a modern thinker. Someone who understands how the game has changed and who works to teach this to players. Someone who is the opposite of the “classic baseball people are back in charge” mentality Iof 2024.

If they hire the perfect person it will not be exciting. It will show up as players being smarter, better approaches at the plate, fewer ground balls, less swinging hard in case you hit something. Better bullpen performance from pitchers who understand their roles and how they will be used. Guy who are better conditioned and who use the IL when they’re hurt rather than playing through one injury until it leads to a worse one. Fewer LaRussian Locker room rivalries and less articles ripping the org every August. Never ever talk about the importance of bunting again. Gradual improvement over multiple years.

If your house is flooded with sewage, the arrival of a cleanup crew isn’t exciting. It may be a relief, but starting the sewage cleanup isn’t exciting. Finishing it is exciting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

No, because a good hire for this White Sox franchise would be unexciting.

The White Sox desperately need someone who can be a modern thinker. Someone who understands how the game has changed and who works to teach this to players. Someone who is the opposite of the “classic baseball people are back in charge” mentality Iof 2024.

If they hire the perfect person it will not be exciting. It will show up as players being smarter, better approaches at the plate, fewer ground balls, less swinging hard in case you hit something. Better bullpen performance from pitchers who understand their roles and how they will be used. Guy who are better conditioned and who use the IL when they’re hurt rather than playing through one injury until it leads to a worse one. Fewer LaRussian Locker room rivalries and less articles ripping the org every August. Never ever talk about the importance of bunting again. Gradual improvement over multiple years.

If your house is flooded with sewage, the arrival of a cleanup crew isn’t exciting. It may be a relief, but starting the sewage cleanup isn’t exciting. Finishing it is exciting.

Yes it is.

Learning about how Katz and Bannister pushed Ecker and Getz to meet, and the interview going well, I think he’s the guy they hire. These interviews with the Dodgers should still definitely happen to get into and more ideas but we’ll see. Lavine still says the Sox have strong interest in their 1B coach

On 10/16/2024 at 10:00 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They did interview a number of people last time and are interviewing a lot of people this time but the people doing the interviewing this time is very different and unlike last time they are narrowing the list down to 4-5 candidates and doing a second round of interviews  with others joining the interviews. They have a much better chance of hiring the right guy this time than they did the last time.  

Just interviewing the bench coach of the Royals indicates a flawed process.

Along the same lines, what is Phil Nevin doing in the interview group this time around?  (To be fair, perhaps he isn't; I just saw his name on one of the lists).  
The other guys look like the type of candidates that we should be interviewing.  

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Just interviewing the bench coach of the Royals indicates a flawed process.

Along the same lines, what is Phil Nevin doing in the interview group this time around?  (To be fair, perhaps he isn't; I just saw his name on one of the lists).  
The other guys look like the type of candidates that we should be interviewing.  

The Royals look a lot smarter now than previously simply for being in the right position to draft Witt Jr and out spending pretty much the entire AL Central in the off season....certainly their three main competitors.

That said...at least they picked some of the right additions, especially on the pitching side.

And getting Ragans, one of the 5-10 best starters in the AL now for Ragans was a coup as well.