Jerry Reinsdorf open to selling the White Sox per Britt Ghiroli

Is this a really good time for the Stewart group to buy the Sox? The team is in horrible shape. There is no stadium in Nashville if they want to move. A new stadium in Chicago isn't happening, at least for now.

Other than using Nashville for leverage, I don't see why this story was leaked to the media. Don't know what Reinsdorf is trying to accomplish with this. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Highland said:

Is this a really good time for the Stewart group to buy the Sox? The team is in horrible shape. There is no stadium in Nashville if they want to move. A new stadium in Chicago isn't happening, at least for now.

Other than using Nashville for leverage, I don't see why this story was leaked to the media. Don't know what Reinsdorf is trying to accomplish with this. 

Posturing for stadium money in Chicago

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Highland said:

Yes. There is ample investment capital if they can find a good plan. The economy is strong and cities are growing. The White Sox are an undervalued asset and Reinsdorf’s toxicity may leave them stranded with no stadium, leaving them costing less than they’d pay otherwise. Reinsdorf is alive and would go along with this specifically to hurt White Sox fans, a future owner might not be willing to do so.

The 78 is the right move for the future of the Chicago White Sox. A new owner with money and a vision and could turn it into the gold standard for baseball parks. it could be the gem of the South Loop, surrounded by restaurants and entertainment. 

I love Sox Park, I think it's great, but anyone from out of town will come away with a negative opinion of the neighborhood. Once inside the park I think they would admit the experience of watching the game is pretty good, would they really want to come back, probably not, unfortunately the park is not a destination.

In the long run I want 2 things, the Sox stay in Chicago for another 120 + years, and TLR is out the door when the new owner walks in. 

Edited by Falstaff
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Highland said:

I would say it is a great time to buy.  This team is not at a revenue high, so everything is projections and growth.  There are literally hundreds of millions in valuation sitting on the sidelines.  In the right hands this could be a 3 billion dollar business.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes. There is ample investment capital if they can find a good plan. The economy is strong and cities are growing. The White Sox are an undervalued asset and Reinsdorf’s toxicity may leave them stranded with no stadium, leaving them costing less than they’d pay otherwise. Reinsdorf is alive and would go along with this specifically to hurt White Sox fans, a future owner might not be willing to do so.

well not Chicago

the full text:

People keep asking me about this, so here are my thoughts: My dad’s dream has always been to own a baseball team. For him, it’s bigger than just business—it’s about proving that Black ownership in baseball is possible. The world is changing, the game is evolving, & ownership needs to reflect the same diversity as the players on the field. Whether in Nashville or Chicago, if he pulls this off, he’d make history as the first Black majority owner in MLB. I don’t see him moving the White Sox—he just experienced the same loss we all did with the A’s leaving Oakland. But that’s well above my pay grade. What I do know is that he has the support, the financial backing, & literal decades of experience. It’s time.

2 hours ago, Falstaff said:

The 78 is the right move for the future of the Chicago White Sox. A new owner with money and a vision and could turn it into the gold standard for baseball parks. it could be the gem of the South Loop, surrounded by restaurants and entertainment. 

I love Sox Park, I think it's great, but anyone from out of town will come away with a negative opinion of the neighborhood. Once inside the park I think they would admit the experience of watching the game is pretty good, would they really want to come back, probably not, unfortunately the park is not a destination.

In the long run I want 2 things, the Sox stay in Chicago for another 120 + years, and TLR is out the door when the new owner walks in. 

Agree with every word of this.

• Like 2

https://www.forbes.com/sites/philrogers/2024/10/16/dave-stewart-enters-picture-as-possible-new-owner-of-white-sox/

Stewart won 20-plus games four years in a row with Oakland in the Mark McGwire/Jose Canseco Bash Brothers era. He put together an investment group that unsuccessfully tried to purchase the Oakland Coliseum and is currently pursuing an MLB expansion team in Nashville. He and (Lonnie) Murray are also leading a group pushing for an NWSL team in Nashville.

Not feeling a huge sense of optimism when Stewart’s supposed financial backer is his g/f, who’s a sports agent not named Jerry Maguire.

“So how did Lonnie break that ceiling and find her way into the Sports Agent business?  Born in Camden New Jersey and raised in Washington state, Lonnie had no initial desire to be a part of the baseball industry. At the age of 17 she married her high school sweetheart, and due to the request of the U.S. Navy, she and her new husband were relocated to San Diego.  The marriage was short-lived, but they both realized they were too young to make a major life decision like marriage. “He went to work one day, and I packed my jeep up and drove to the Bay Area where my girlfriend lived because I was just done. We were both young, and we realized it just wasn't forever."  

Lonnie obtained a position working for a nonprofit and spent 15 years in this arena, "I loved working for nonprofits, I think it bleeds over to what I am doing now because I'm still helping families and kids.  It is important to me that I am honest about what I'm doing, and that everything I do, is for the right reason." 

With convictions such as these, it is easy to see why Lonnie would be a success in whatever industry she tackled.  While working in the nonprofit industry, she would come to meet her current husband, former Major League player and past General Manager of the Arizona Diamond Backs, Dave Stewart.  "I was working for a nonprofit ‘Team Up for Youth,' and Dave was a member of the board of directors.  I had been introduced when he came into the office for a board meeting, but it was just that, a business introduction." It would be some time before they had their next encounter and this one almost lost Lonnie her job. "I was given the task of emailing all of the board members to get a consensus on a project we were putting together.  All of the members responded swiftly, except for Dave, he had been out of the country and didn't get back to me for  several weeks."  When he did call, he told Lonnie that he could not open the files she had sent, so she resent the email, and he still had a problem.  "I have to admit that this irritated me and I responded in a way I probably shouldn't have."  Since Dave was an admired baseball Icon, particularly in the Oakland area, after a stellar career with the Oakland A's, I rethought my response shortly after I hit send. I asked a co-worker what he thought of my email to Dave, and from his response, Lonnie knew she was in trouble.  "There was a good chance I was  going to lose my job, so I went into my bosses office and started the conversation by telling him how much I loved my job.  I was just about to explain what happened when this same co-worker interrupted our conversation and told me in private that Dave had responded.”  To Lonnie's relief, he did so with a sense of humor, and shortly after that, the two managed to find themselves in a relationship.”

https://www.sdwomanmagazine.com/lonnie-murray

Otoh, the email debacle described seems quite on-brand for the tech-challenged White Sox…

50 minutes ago, Fielder Jones said:

the full text:

People keep asking me about this, so here are my thoughts: My dad’s dream has always been to own a baseball team. For him, it’s bigger than just business—it’s about proving that Black ownership in baseball is possible. The world is changing, the game is evolving, & ownership needs to reflect the same diversity as the players on the field. Whether in Nashville or Chicago, if he pulls this off, he’d make history as the first Black majority owner in MLB. I don’t see him moving the White Sox—he just experienced the same loss we all did with the A’s leaving Oakland. But that’s well above my pay grade. What I do know is that he has the support, the financial backing, & literal decades of experience. It’s time.

Ok, but he and TLR were horrible at running the D-Backs

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Quin said:

Ok, but he and TLR were horrible at running the D-Backs

Yup, and TLR probably sticks around after Reinsdorf sells, and there's no way they don't stick their noses in everywhere.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would say it is a great time to buy.  This team is not at a revenue high, so everything is projections and growth.  There are literally hundreds of millions in valuation sitting on the sidelines.  In the right hands this could be a 3 billion dollar business.

Even after 40 years of mismanagement, there is still ample opportunity for growth in Chicago. It is Jerry's greatest failing as White Sox chairman.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Even after 40 years of mismanagement, there is still ample opportunity for growth in Chicago. It is Jerry's greatest failing as White Sox chairman.

Which is always the part about a potential "move" that never made sense to me. The growth is here for an ownership group that actually gives a s%*#.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Which is always the part about a potential "move" that never made sense to me. The growth is here for an ownership group that actually gives a s%*#.

Exactly. There is no better opportunity for potential growth than right here. It just takes the will to actually do it, which is what Jerry has failed and or refused to do his entire tenure.

1 hour ago, Fielder Jones said:

the full text:

This to me makes a Stewart lead ownership group feel much more appealing, but reality is another story. I would need a guarantee that no attempts to leave the city of Chicago will be made, and that TLR is put out to pasture. Two variables that seem unlikely.

14 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

This to me makes a Stewart lead ownership group feel much more appealing, but reality is another story. I would need a guarantee that no attempts to leave the city of Chicago will be made, and that TLR is put out to pasture. Two variables that seem unlikely.

Sell em to Mellody Hobson....still get the 1st Black majority owner and Dave Stewart gets shut out.....that's a win win in my book.

I still say JR is not selling though.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Fielder Jones said:

the full text:

Your dad also got busted by the police getting a hummer from a transgender prostitute and plead no contest.  🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, wegner said:

Sell em to Mellody Hobson....still get the 1st Black majority owner and Dave Stewart gets shut out.....that's a win win in my book.

I still say JR is not selling though.

In a perfect world... 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am going to bet Tony goes before Jerry.

As in dies? Or moves on from the org? If Jerry sells to Stewart and Tony is still around I'd bet Tony stays in the org and works with Stewart.