Jerry Reinsdorf open to selling the White Sox per Britt Ghiroli

Sleepy Harold

27 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I hear you but I'd personally like the Sox name to die if they leave Chicago. I see no way Illinois will tax the people even more to build an unnecessary baseball stadium this time so if they have to leave they leave. Only hope is if the Sox can convince the government it'll be a boon for that part of the city. Of course in theory it'd hurt another part of the city, Bridgeport.

You know Greg, Although I don't want to see taxes go up, I might support a taxpayer funded stadium only if Reinsdorf wasn't involved and he had to sell the Sox for that to happen. I'd do the higher taxes if it would rid us of Reinsdorf, but I know it would never happen. Just dreaming.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Saufley said:

You know Greg, Although I don't want to see taxes go up, I might support a taxpayer funded stadium only if Reinsdorf wasn't involved and he had to sell the Sox for that to happen. I'd do the higher taxes if it would rid us of Reinsdorf, but I know it would never happen. Just dreaming.

isn't it just an extension of the sales tax at hotels? Not like any chicago resident will see an increase in taxes. They may if the state continues to fund free healthcare for noncitizens however!

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

19 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yep.  How often does Jerry pull this BS to get what he wants?

The rumors of moving the team to St. Petersburg, which ultimately got him funding for his first new stadium.

The meeting with the mayor of Nashville last offseason to pressure for funding toward his second new stadium.

Releasing two statements about the state of the team right before the season ended to avoid facing the media in a press conference.

Does anyone even know if Dave Stewart and his group of investors could afford to purchase a $2+ billion dollar team?

Jerry is a manipulative mofo and everything he does is for a reason.  I have no doubt he fed this BS “news” to The Athletic, just like he fed the previous rumors.

Reason #1  Turn a large market into a decreasing small market by budget and creating losing teams.

1 hour ago, Saufley said:

Taxes go up anyway.  2 things you will never see reduced are taxes and college tuition.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2024 at 4:50 PM, greg775 said:

I agree. This time the climate is different. We've accepted a lot of b.s. going on in our country. The majority of Illinois will accept the Sox leaving. They'll just say, 'Geez guys get a grip. We already have one team in Chicago; let's not get greedy. Give somebody else a team. No big deal. We got a team."

Also in the modern era unless you are a season ticket holder who cares if your team is a few miles away or hundreds of miles away?  You can watch every game relatively inexpensively, get commentary, everything you can currently get when not going to their games.

i vow to become a season ticket holder of any expansion team that comes to Chicago.

https://news.yahoo.com/sports/cleveland-mayor-says-browns-owners-194509830.html

Browns' owners spending $2.4 billion to move to a suburban domed stadium and away from the downtown/lakefront.  Haslam family.

Might equal White Sox for pro sports team with bleakest future due to Watson trade...cap hits, all the personal lawsuits involved there and already having to dump key vets like Amari Cooper with the 2024 season essentially toast.  And then they would have to develop yet another QB while simultaneously having to deal even more draft picks to dump Watson...similar to Broncos' fate with Brock Osweiler.

2 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Also in the modern era unless you are a season ticket holder who cares if your team is a few miles away or hundreds of miles away?  You can watch every game relatively inexpensively, get commentary, everything you can currently get when not going to their games.

i vow to become a season ticket holder of any expansion team that comes to Chicago.

Unless someone similar to Ricketts Musk Zuckerberg Bezos is the owner...

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://news.yahoo.com/sports/cleveland-mayor-says-browns-owners-194509830.html

Browns' owners spending $2.4 billion to move to a suburban domed stadium and away from the downtown/lakefront.  Haslam family.

Might equal White Sox for pro sports team with bleakest future due to Watson trade...cap hits, all the personal lawsuits involved there and already having to dump key vets like Amari Cooper with the 2024 season essentially toast.  And then they would have to develop yet another QB while simultaneously having to deal even more draft picks to dump Watson...similar to Broncos' fate with Brock Osweiler.

Yet someone paid an expansion fee for the right to put a football team into the Cleveland market.

28 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

At this point I hope they move to Nashville.  Screw billionaires and their publicly funded stadiums.  GTFOH.  There will be an expansion team replacing them.

An expansion team would have a better and deeper roster than what the White Sox have now! Bring it on! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, whitesoxwinner said:

isn't it just an extension of the sales tax at hotels? Not like any chicago resident will see an increase in taxes. They may if the state continues to fund free healthcare for noncitizens however!

It is more complicated than that as there are also local tax credits associated with the TIF development on the site, and the funds in that account could have a second use - supporting the Bears as well.

Reinsdorf wants basically every cent going to that tax and more, which would leave the Bears with nothing. But if Reinsdorf doesn’t get every cent, he will leave.

Wonderful negotiating by Reinsdorf.

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It is more complicated than that as there are also local tax credits associated with the TIF development on the site, and the funds in that account could have a second use - supporting the Bears as well.

Reinsdorf wants basically every cent going to that tax and more, which would leave the Bears with nothing. But if Reinsdorf doesn’t get every cent, he will leave.

Wonderful negotiating by Reinsdorf.

His philosophy historically has always been, "I win...you lose."

2 hours ago, fathom said:

The usual “insiders” like nbb and Eloy vs wall aren’t exactly making me feel warm and fuzzy about things.

Why would they have any info on this. NBB is such a try hard anyway

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

"Ellch explained the vision for the ‘78’ as a 13-million square foot extension of downtown Chicago with a half mile of frontage along the river they would look to create and exponentially expand back to connect with the downtown Riverwalk. The first phase of development in creating Chicago’s next neighborhood would include two apartment buildings, food, beverage, and retail spaces, as well as parking."

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/white-sox-proposed-ballpark-update

Merkin puffery

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Of course there will.  They will put an American League expansion team in the third largest city in the country.  That is obvious.

The AL and NL basically don’t matter anymore.  It’s all under the MLB umbrella.  Sox leave its 100% Cubs town and I become a Brewers fan. 

• Like 1