Jerry Reinsdorf open to selling the White Sox per Britt Ghiroli

Sleepy Harold

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Better yet, the Obama's and Jordan working together...it's not exactly like the Cubs' ownership group is non-partisan.

Cubs' fans are probably what 25-30% Dem?

Sox fandom probably the same split in the opposite direction...if not moreso.

Dr. Dre could probably afford the team pooling his money with Jay Z...who already has that sports agency business.

Or any of them could partner with Hobson, in theory.

Not trying to be political, but I think your demographic breakdown for any group of people in Chicago are not accurate. Democrats have run Chicago for decades.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

They aren't moving. Chicago isn't Oakland,or Montreal. 

Isn't it true that, had it not been for the legislature pretending a clock had stopped before midnight, right now the Tampa Bay White Sox would be figuring out what stadium they were going to play in next year after their roof was shredded by a hurricane?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Isn't it true that, had it not been for the legislature pretending a clock had stopped before midnight, right now the Tampa Bay White Sox would be figuring out what stadium they were going to play in next year after their roof was shredded by a hurricane?

That was almost 40: years ago, and what would have happened if JR moved to Tampa? He have moved again.  Not moving was the best thing that ever happened to JR. Back then even he admitted moving would have most likely led him to sell the Bulls. 
 He would probably be universally known as the one of the worst sports owners in history. If you read up on Stewart’s group, they plan to privately fund a stadium. Not many think they have the money. Who in their right mind would move a business whose model is basically built on broadcast revenue move from Chicago to Nashville? At the very least, people who buy these team usually have egos, and it’s pretty obvious the White Sox have  been poorly run for years. They see a cash cow if operated correctly. It’s just like real estate. The 3 most  important things are location, location, location.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That was almost 40: years ago, and what would have happened if JR moved to Tampa? He have moved again.  Not moving was the best thing that ever happened to JR. Back then even he admitted moving would have most likely led him to sell the Bulls. 
 He would probably be universally known as the one of the worst sports owners in history. If you read up on Stewart’s group, they plan to privately fund a stadium. Not many think they have the money. Who in their right mind would move a business whose model is basically built on broadcast revenue move from Chicago to Nashville? At the very least, people who buy these team usually have egos, and it’s pretty obvious the White Sox have  been poorly run for years. They see a cash cow if operated correctly. It’s just like real estate. The 3 most  important things are location, location, location.

But the point is, the fact that it's Chicago isn't going to hold the team there as long as the Cubs are there. Chicago was stronger economically relative to the rest of the country 40 years ago than it is now.

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

But the point is, the fact that it's Chicago isn't going to hold the team there as long as the Cubs are there. Chicago was stronger economically relative to the rest of the country 40 years ago than it is now.

Tampa had a dome with no team and the Sox had an aging ballpark and were looking for a new home. The circumstances were a little bit different back then. The public appetite for tax-payer funded playgrounds for billionaires is much different today too. Not saying a move is impossible, but the scenarios are very different IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I read on Facebook where White Sox historian Richard Lindberg said that there is no local owner who would buy the White Sox and keep them in Chicago. If this is true it looks like there is a real good chance of them moving out of state.

Let me stop you right there.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Tampa had a dome with no team and the Sox had an aging ballpark and were looking for a new home. The circumstances were a little bit different back then. The public appetite for tax-payer funded playgrounds for billionaires is much different today too. Not saying a move is impossible, but the scenarios are very different IMO.

And that's the point...the appetite for a publicly funded ballpark in Chicago as a means to keep the team there is non-existent, but Reinsdorf is acting like he expects its there. The setup is worse than the one that would have had the White Sox move.

If people are counting on the league or some external force to step in and say this team needs to stay put regardless of the business and stadium decisions, they wouldn't say that last time, and they won't say it this time.

2 hours ago, JoeC said:

I’m going to go out on a crazy limb and predict that Michael Jordan buys the Sox.

Has money? Check.

Ties to the organization? Check

Completely illogical and unrealistic, but that’s my prediction.

Jordan's ultimate 'f*** you' to Jerry for breaking up the Bulls dynasty would be buying the White Sox, Jerry's first love, and turning it into a perennial contender doing everything Jerry has refused to do for 40 years... #IfOnly

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Hey!!!  Dave Stewart is just as crappy an executive as any white guy!  He has the record to prove it!

Dave Stewart would not be my first rep choice but who knows. I guess Tony likes him or whatever.  Not sure if he has a business background.

2 minutes ago, pcq said:

Dave Stewart would not be my first rep choice but who knows. I guess Tony likes him or whatever.  Not sure if he has a business background.

Jordan over Stewart a thousand times.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And that's the point...the appetite for a publicly funded ballpark in Chicago as a means to keep the team there is non-existent, but Reinsdorf is acting like he expects its there. The setup is worse than the one that would have had the White Sox move.

If people are counting on the league or some external force to step in and say this team needs to stay put regardless of the business and stadium decisions, they wouldn't say that last time, and they won't say it this time.

We are in totally agreement re: the second paragraph. MLB won't stop a move, but I doubt they would OK a move without retaining the right to replace the team in Chicago in the future. MLB would be leaving money on the table for a generation without a second team in the third largest market in the country. The White Sox share of the Chicago market is still viable despite what JR claims, and ceding the entire market to the Cubs when their market share wouldn't drastically expand for years is just bad business.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They said last time the Sox needed a new park the park they had was falling apart and dangerous to be in. They wouldn’t dare say the same thing now. Plus teams that have moved have had many many years of ballpark battles. This fight just started. Publicly funded stadiums were a thing for a while, but not anymore. Several years before that, they were moving to Seattle before Bill Veeck saved the day. There was talk Charlie Finley would have moved the As to the south side.. I it was a different era then. Attendance was what it all was about. While still important, not nearly as much as it was back then.  It’s very hard to move in MLB.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Good article but I do grow tired of hearing how 2005 is a positive mark on his legacy.  After 44 years of ownership mathematically he should have won at least one World Series and should have appeared in three.  Screw crediting him for one accidental championship with a team that was not designed to win.

3 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Good article but I do grow tired of hearing how 2005 is a positive mark on his legacy.  After 44 years of ownership mathematically he should have won at least one World Series and should have appeared in three.  Screw crediting him for one accidental championship with a team that was not designed to win.

2005 everything went right. That was his model. It was the one year it totally worked. He should get credit. I understand your point, but if we can blast him for all his failures, you have to give him credit for the one year he got it right. The one issue with that was it seemed to have convinced him, his way is the only way. And we have all paid for it since.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Seven playoff appearances in 44 years? No series wins in any of those but one?  Flags fly forever, but you aren't wrong.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

2005 everything went right. That was his model. It was the one year it totally worked. He should get credit. I understand your point, but if we can blast him for all his failures, you have to give him credit for the one year he got it right. The one issue with that was it seemed to have convinced him, his way is the only way. And we have all paid for it since.

He did it with that mid-tier payroll, too.

Dumped Ordonez Lee and Valentin…spreading money across all those free agents and trade acquisitions.

Jenks was just a rookie and Contreras was highly subsidized by NYY.

But the cost of that rotation and wear & tear would eventually drag the team down.

You can’t really say it was accidental though when they were competitive in 2006 and got to the playoffs in 2008 with the injection of Alexei Ramirez, bullpen spending and a lot of the same veteran core.

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

No he doesn’t get credit.  A dumb monkey pressing buttons blindly would have won one World Series in 44 years.  He is way below expectations.

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He did it with that mid-tier payroll, too.

Dumped Ordonez Lee and Valentin…spreading money across all those free agents and trade acquisitions.

Jenks was just a rookie and Contreras was highly subsidized by NYY.

But the cost of that rotation and wear & tear would eventually drag the team down.

You can’t really say it was accidental though when they were competitive in 2006 and got to the playoffs in 2008 with the injection of Alexei Ramirez, bullpen spending and a lot of the same veteran core.

They were competitive in the preceding seasons but no one in their right mind looked at the 2005 team and thought “Best team in baseball.”  They were designed to finish 1st-3rd but not challenge the Yankees or Red Sox.

Don’t get me wrong.  I’m happy they won and I had a Husky named Buehrle and I have a dog named AJ and someday I’ll adopt a Paulie.  But that team performed far above their ceiling that one year.

Edited by FloydBannister1983

1 minute ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

They were competitive in the preceding seasons but no one in their right mind looked at the 2005 team and thought “Best team in baseball.”

Don’t get me wrong.  I’m happy they won and I had a Husky named Buehrle and I have a dog named AJ and someday I’ll adopt a Paulie.  But that team performed far above their ceiling that one year.

Yes because of the bullpen and Contreras run of dominance, largely.

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.atxmlb.com/why-austin

Montreal Nashville Austin Portland Salt Lake City Charlotte…any other options other than Mexico or San Juan?…which both seem nearly impossible.

I don't really see a MLB team taking off in Austin. Everyone here is either an Astros or Rangers fan. Or they just moved here from somewhere else recently and don't have a huge attachment to Austin. 

It's one thing for Austin FC to sell out a 20k capacity stadium playing once a week. It's another to expect people to change fan affiliation and get 30,000+ fans every night during the summer. Plus you have to build an indoor stadium because nobody is braving the 100+ degree heat to go watch baseball. Just see what happened with the BallPark at Arlington. 

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Reinsdorf and Stewart are both frauds. This isn't even a story.Both represent groups wanting welfare from the state paid for by the working man who is getting hit from all sides with inflation and reduced job benefits. Blood sucking leeches.

But at least we don't sign 16 year olds!

Oops.